Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are the rules for foreign nationals playing for other nations

Serious question. Given all of the talk about Germans playing for the US in the world cup, I am wondering what the specific rules are that govern all of it. If my wife's father was Canadian and I'm 5 generations removed from Italy what sort of options would one of my US born and raised kids have if they wanted to try their luck with a national team other than the US?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Serious question. Given all of the talk about Germans playing for the US in the world cup, I am wondering what the specific rules are that govern all of it. If my wife's father was Canadian and I'm 5 generations removed from Italy what sort of options would one of my US born and raised kids have if they wanted to try their luck with a national team other than the US?
    The "Germans" playing for the U.S. also have American citizenship and one American parent. The Icelander has Icelandic parents but was born in the U.S. There is no mystery.

Comment

not that hard to look up....your kids don't have a chance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_eligibility_rules

Comment

Do you have to have dual citizenship or just show heritage. Over the years I have seen some players from around here play for Puerto Rico. Does that mean that those players have two passports?

Comment

Here are the rules

Any Player who ... [assumes] a new nationality and who has not played international football [in a match ... in an official competition of any category or any type of football for one Association] shall be eligible to play for the new representative team only if he fulfills one of the following conditions:
          (a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
          (b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
          (c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
          (d) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association.

Since your kids have a Canadian grandparent they can play for Canada. They could move to Italy and live there for 5 years and play for them eventually also.

Comment

Happens all the time. Here is an american girl who has played 13 games for Portugal.

http://www.hartfordhawks.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2915

Not a big deal

Get over it

Comment

Pretty cool, no? Any more examples?

Comment

Pretty cool, no? Any more examples?
                Does this apply?

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...ORTS/407220316

Comment

are you sure you are serious?

Comment

Here are the rules

Any Player who ... [assumes] a new nationality and who has not played international football [in a match ... in an official competition of any category or any type of football for one Association] shall be eligible to play for the new representative team only if he fulfills one of the following conditions:
                    (a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
                    (b) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
                    (c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant Association;
                    (d) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association.

Since your kids have a Canadian grandparent they can play for Canada. They could move to Italy and live there for 5 years and play for them eventually also.
                    Maybe. Those are the FIFA rules. Individual federations can add impose their own restrictions in addition to those imposed by FIFA. So you'd need to check the rules for the Canadian and Italian federations to be sure.

Comment

Do you have to have dual citizenship or just show heritage. Over the years I have seen some players from around here play for Puerto Rico. Does that mean that those players have two passports?
                      There is no such thing as a Puerto Rican passport. Puerto Rico is part of the U.S., so Puerto Ricans have U.S passports.

Comment

Wow. Good luck to him.

Comment

Wow. Good luck to him.
                          I agree. Good for him.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X