Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am sure some want the action but I doubt many are actually in harms way. Clearly the air force, navy and coast guard has not been meaningfully engaged.
    If you go to Annapolis you fly off carriers and can join the Marines as well. Although the Army clearly has the most fatalities, the aforementioned members of the Navy are also mixing it up.

Comment

If you go to Annapolis you fly off carriers and can join the Marines as well. Although the Army clearly has the most fatalities, the aforementioned members of the Navy are also mixing it up.
      I wrote "meaningfully" engage. In the last several engagements, our military took out their air defense so quickly that they have little meaningful means of counter-attack the Navy or the Air Force. The percentage of personnel in those branches that face enemy fire is minuscule.

The next war will be different but for the last 20 years being in any branch of than the Army was relatively safe. And even in the Army, our casualties are really limited.

Comment

I wrote "meaningfully" engage. In the last several engagements, our military took out their air defense so quickly that they have little meaningful means of counter-attack the Navy or the Air Force. The percentage of personnel in those branches that face enemy fire is minuscule.

The next war will be different but for the last 20 years being in any branch of than the Army was relatively safe. And even in the Army, our casualties are really limited.
        Has your family suffered any of the "really limited" casualties?

In any case, the main point is that the service academies don't provide a "free" education--given the service commitment after graduation.

Comment

http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq56-1.htm

Iraq/Afg

Marines KIA = circa 1000 with 10000 wounded

Navy KIA = 100 dead

Comment

http://www.west-point.org/index.php?...d=81&Itemid=75

Comment

Has your family suffered any of the "really limited" casualties?

In any case, the main point is that the service academies don't provide a "free" education--given the service commitment after graduation.
              To discuss something at a macro level is not an attempt to minimize the pain and suffering at the micro level.

Thankfully no casualties. We have in the past but presently we do not have any family members in the service. I do have friends in the engagement in Army Logistics.

The service agreement is still paid at full military rate as if you enlisted directly. I would argue that the education is pretty much free.

Comment

Talk about an agenda. The "my super smart and outstanding soccer player didn't get into Harvard because of politics so now they are at Trinity and I am angry about it" one. These are the same people who never seem to get that some people just have "IT" while others don't because they don't recognize that "IT" exists. Admissions all come down to the "spike"!
                That's why the Ivies have quotas, right?

Comment

http://www.usna.com/page.aspx?pid=503

Comment

We all wish it were that easy. Academically, a top student is going to get a great GPA and get SAT and ACT scores where ever they go to school, public or private.
                    Maybe so, but they won't mean nearly the same to colleges. Don't underestimate the importance of a challenging/demanding high school curriculum which most good private schools offer. You can be top 5 in your class, but if you come from an underachieving public school system, you may be viewed the same as a mid pack kid from a good private school (or highly rated public school). Even near Ivies will be out of the question without a boat load of impressive extra curricula's to overcome the hole that your bad public school has put you in.

Don't fool yourself thinking that a smart kid will get A's in either school so what's the point. The fact is, the smart kids are the ones who will be penalized the most by a subpar school system.

Comment

Maybe so, but they won't mean nearly the same to colleges. Don't underestimate the importance of a challenging/demanding high school curriculum which most good private schools offer. You can be top 5 in your class, but if you come from an underachieving public school system, you may be viewed the same as a mid pack kid from a good private school (or highly rated public school). Even near Ivies will be out of the question without a boat load of impressive extra curricula's to overcome the hole that your bad public school has put you in.

Don't fool yourself thinking that a smart kid will get A's in either school so what's the point. The fact is, the smart kids are the ones who will be penalized the most by a subpar school system.
                      Completely false. If the public school is at the same level at the private kid as evidenced not just by grades but by scores, ECs, essays, etc the edge in many cases will go the public school kid, and maybe even more so if it is a "subpar public" because the kid likely will be credited for doing so well despite that. Admission teams, especially at the most elite schools, are very sophisticated, and they don't want a whole class of Philips Exeter kids.

Comment

Completely false. If the public school is at the same level at the private kid as evidenced not just by grades but by scores, ECs, essays, etc the edge in many cases will go the public school kid, and maybe even more so if it is a "subpar public" because the kid likely will be credited for doing so well despite that. Admission teams, especially at the most elite schools, are very sophisticated, and they don't want a whole class of Philips Exeter kids.
                        I definitely agree you don't want a school of PE kids but I have not seen any *evidence* that that is true.

For example, Nobles sends about 30% of their kids to the Ivies/MIT/Stanford. It is hard to know where the 30% line up to a high school like Newton, Medford, Revere, etc. Given everything else is equal, how do admission's compare GPA from such different institutions?

Comment

I definitely agree you don't want a school of PE kids but I have not seen any *evidence* that that is true.

For example, Nobles sends about 30% of their kids to the Ivies/MIT/Stanford. It is hard to know where the 30% line up to a high school like Newton, Medford, Revere, etc. Given everything else is equal, how do admission's compare GPA from such different institutions?
                          Of course the privates will be considered more rigorous with greater competition. If the valedictorian has all AP classes and 1900 on SATs then he/she most likely won't get in the very top schools. If all APs and 2200-2350 and rest of application is strong then he/she likely will.

Bottom line. Top schools DO want outstanding kids from publics.

Comment

Actually, you're completely wrong. I encourage you to talk to college admissions people, especially at the more selective schools. A kid's performance will be evaluated within the context of the school's curriculum, regardless of whether the school is private or public. This is a fact. Kid's that do well in schools that offer a rigorous curriculum will place higher than kid's with the same grades/scores from less demanding schools.

Comment

Actually, you're completely wrong. I encourage you to talk to college admissions people, especially at the more selective schools. A kid's performance will be evaluated within the context of the school's curriculum, regardless of whether the school is private or public. This is a fact. Kid's that do well in schools that offer a rigorous curriculum will place higher than kid's with the same grades/scores from less demanding schools.
                              Completely false. And I talk to admissions officers from elites frequently. If everything is equal and the public kid has showh he/she can compete head-to-head in spite of an average of subpar school environment then the edge goes to the public kid. Interesting that you are pressing this argument when you want to claim that the level of club you play for doesn't matter at all.

Comment

Completely false. And I talk to admissions officers from elites frequently. If everything is equal and the public kid has showh he/she can compete head-to-head in spite of an average of subpar school environment then the edge goes to the public kid. Interesting that you are pressing this argument when you want to claim that the level of club you play for doesn't matter at all.
                                Different poster -- what does everything equal mean? What is a A- in Calc at Philips equal to at Somerville? Does the kid have to get an A or is A- equal?

If the Philips kids has a 3.5 what does the Somerville kid have to have 3.8?

"all things equal" is hard to quantify.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X