Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the benefits of being a Team Manager?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First, don't be the team manager if you are expecting anything extra or if you think your kid is going to get an advantage.
    Second, if you are expecting something then request it up front. The only thing you have any justification to is a fee discount. I suppose you can request it in the form of apparel or a gift card. Regardless, that is all.
    As a team manager you should describe your job up front to all the parents so that they don't start making requests or ask you play-time related issues, which should be directed toward the coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Gossip and inside info depends on the coach. On one team TM knew everything, on current team coach tells TM info on need to know basis and there is much he thinks TM doesn't need to know until absolutely necessary.
      oops that should read there isn't much he thinks TM needs to know until absolutely necessary

Comment

How about traveling? Do TM get discount on hotels and food from the club?

Comment

First, don't be the team manager if you are expecting anything extra or if you think your kid is going to get an advantage.
          Second, if you are expecting something then request it up front. The only thing you have any justification to is a fee discount. I suppose you can request it in the form of apparel or a gift card. Regardless, that is all.
          As a team manager you should describe your job up front to all the parents so that they don't start making requests or ask you play-time related issues, which should be directed toward the coach.
          TM deserves discount fee. At least ours did because she did a lot. Made all hotel reservations and providing updates on training and games, getting pass cards. All admin things I hate doing myself, and here she did it for 2 dozen people or so----and having to chase parents down to get the needed information. I confess she had to track me down a couple of times. For all the time and effort put forth and the occasional headaches endured, her kid deserved to be on team at discount rate, or even free of charge.
          TM, however, should not be made privvy to sesitive information or gossip about players and parents that the coach may have. No parent should.

Comment

How about traveling? Do TM get discount on hotels and food from the club?
            I don't. But as the TM I am the one making the hotel reservations, so I get to pick where our team stays, and I try to balance cost/location/amenities so that it works as well as it can for everyone.

There are parents on our team who think I am much more in the loop than I actually am, and are always looking to get gossip from me. There are decisions that I am not involved in, and nor should I be, so I direct them to our coach or our DOC.

Comment

I have been a TM for 3 years. I get nothing but I enjoy the game, the kids on the team and it is a bonding experience for me and my son.
              However, rain-outs, tournament logistics and parent demands are too much and this will be my last season as a TM.
              In my view, TM should receive a discount (if they want to).

Also people that think that a TM's son will get more playing time they don't know club soccer.
              Between 2 players, the better player will always get more playing time.

Comment

Really good TMs are worth their weight in gold. TMs are only going to be as good or last as long as the parents though. Give a great TM a few really crappy parents and they'll break eventually, which is a shame.

Comment

wrong D bag. most managers kids are the top player. #jealous
                  I have had nothing to do with this post but must make a comment. So you disagree with somebody's opinion and have to launch the d-bag missle. Really... In work , home and other non-soccer environments is that what you do when somebody disagrees with you. Not good, just not good.

Comment

Exactly. I'm not a manager, but all of the manager's kids of my 4 kids team have been in the top 5-10% of the team and are usually the most committed to the team and the club.

Comment

Exactly. I'm not a manager, but all of the manager's kids of my 4 kids team have been in the top 5-10% of the team and are usually the most committed to the team and the club.
                      they are usually most committed to the club (but no reason to call anyone a name)

Comment

Simply not true. The team manager position has zero correlation to a son or daughter's skill, ability, playing time, commitment level, or anything else for that matter. It's just a matter of what parent has the time and is willing to do the job. Nothing more, nothing less. As long as you don't rub the coach the wrong way, you're in as TM. This coming from a parent of 4 club soccer kids over many teams and clubs over the years, and having been a team manager myself at various times.

Comment

On my son's team last year, the mom of the worst player was the TM. Now the team needs a new TM as her kid got cut...

Comment

Simply not true. The team manager position has zero correlation to a son or daughter's skill, ability, playing time, commitment level, or anything else for that matter. It's just a matter of what parent has the time and is willing to do the job. Nothing more, nothing less. As long as you don't rub the coach the wrong way, you're in as TM. This coming from a parent of 4 club soccer kids over many teams and clubs over the years, and having been a team manager myself at various times.
                            True, but it certainly is helpful (in my experience) if the TM's child is one of the best players on the team....certainly diffuses any whining about preferential playing time and definitely sets a tone about commitment...especially when the TM is organized, fair and communicates well. Just my opinion from 15 years of Club experience and many different TM's.

Comment

#gay #thinks his kid is the sh1t

Comment

I managed travel and premier and my experiences were as follows:

Positives: got to know the players and their families much better/faster than just being another parent. Developed a friendship with the coaches which has continued long after we left the clubs. No one else would take the job and I was happy to help. Fees were half for premier but nothing for travel. My kid definitely was not treated any differently in either case but we had very good coaches who I think made sure that never happened. There was a travel board member parent on the team who constantly tried to get in the coach's ear and he swatted him away like a gnat. Premier parents were generally more supportive on the sidelines and let the coaches do their jobs (vs barking out orders to the kids during games).

Negatives: It was stressful many times because some parents were simply psychotic, but probably more so on travel. Parents were constantly bitching about playing time whereas premier parents understood playing time had to be earned. There was also a lot of small town politics going on with our travel program that drove me nuts. Making sure hotels/travel plans/schedules etc were all set is a decent sized responsibility.

In both situations I did not have to collect fees from families. I know some clubs make the managers handle that and I think that puts them in a very uncomfortable position. The club treasurer/finance person should be the bad guy.

Glad I did it. Happy now to just be a parent enjoying the games on the sidelines.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X