Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'v been reading these threads for 5 years and rarely post. Our daughter just returned home for Christmas Break after her 1st season of D1 college soccer. Her first season was hard, very hard. After talking to her, I'm convinced that most of the chatter on here about playing college ball is BS.
    Thank you for posting. What was the reality of soccer for her at a D1 school? Mine just started recruiting and we want all the info we can get.

Comment

I'v been reading these threads for 5 years and rarely post. Our daughter just returned home for Christmas Break after her 1st season of D1 college soccer. Her first season was hard, very hard. After talking to her, I'm convinced that most of the chatter on here about playing college ball is BS.
      What parts are BS?

Comment

I've been reading and posting for 13+ years, and I know your post is a fraud, so obviously given away by the first sentence.

Comment

Thank you for posting. What was the reality of soccer for her at a D1 school? Mine just started recruiting and we want all the info we can get.
          And this post is total BS as well and most likely a self-response to the post quoted. Lol, could you make the request just a little broader, and as though all D1s are the same.

Comment

Advice: Have her ask probing questions of coaches she talks to and players she meets, and you listen closely to what they say (chances are your D will hear what she wants to hear). It didn't take too many conversations for one of mine to decide D1 wasn't for them, while the other was only more driven to make the commitment. Also remember that each program is different in some ways, very similar in others.

Comment

Advice: Have her ask probing questions of coaches she talks to and players she meets, and you listen closely to what they say (chances are your D will hear what she wants to hear). It didn't take too many conversations for one of mine to decide D1 wasn't for them, while the other was only more driven to make the commitment. Also remember that each program is different in some ways, very similar in others.
              Fear is an awful thing to encourage.

Comment

Real questions

And this post is total BS as well and most likely a self-response to the post quoted. Lol, could you make the request just a little broader, and as though all D1s are the same.
                I am the one that asked and we’d really like to hear about that particular girl’s reality as well as any other particular girls’ realities. It’s general because our dd is being recruited by all kinds of schools at all kinds of soccer and academic levels. She’s the kind of player and student that most on her don’t believe exists: could go D1 but might choose D3 for better academics, more options for abIlity to get a STEM degree, opportunity to do a semester overseas, play multiple sports and, maybe most appealing, have a robust social life. On the other hand, she does want good soccer and many of the D3 programs don’t have very appealing soccer itself.

Some kids just know one way or the other and are 100 percent drawn down one path. Mine isn’t. We know more people that went the D3 route so we feel we have a better idea of details of that life. Would love to hear specifics from actual day to day realities of D1 experiences. We understand that D1s aren’t the same so that is precisely why individual actual experience stories would be greatly appreciated. Also, the up sides of D1 are more obvious so we’d like to hear both the positives and any negatives. No school names but maybe if people could put down what division and what range, like: D1 75-125th ranked soccer program, 100-200th ranked academic. A general range could be helpful even though there are vast differences within each range as well.

Comment

My kid is a starter at the D1 level. Dean's list student as well. Though she loves it she'll tell you it's a grind and that it takes a ton of self discipline to do it all. As the parent I will tell you that there are much easier paths to follow so if you have ANY questions about your kid's mental toughness or their desire to play soccer then suggest another path for your kid.

Comment

My kid is a starter at the D1 level. Dean's list student as well. Though she loves it she'll tell you it's a grind and that it takes a ton of self discipline to do it all. As the parent I will tell you that there are much easier paths to follow so if you have ANY questions about your kid's mental toughness or their desire to play soccer then suggest another path for your kid.
                    Thanks Paul.

Comment

What parts are BS?
                      That everyone here has multiple kids who are D1 studs with free rides.

Comment

If possible, have her visit practices and watch how the coach coaches (can he coach, is he a tyrant and an *****)? Check the rosters over the past 6 or 7 years and look at turnover rates for all players .... will be a good indicator of how far she might get (or not).

Comment

If possible, have her visit practices and watch how the coach coaches (can he coach, is he a tyrant and an *****)? Check the rosters over the past 6 or 7 years and look at turnover rates for all players .... will be a good indicator of how far she might get (or not).
                          Seriously folks, if this is the best advice the clowns on this site can come up with you really should start to wonder about what the heck they know about anything.

So what if the coach is a tyrant, unless your kid is a complete snowflake that melts under pressure that unto itself is not reason to not take a scholarship offer. It should just be one of the inputs into your KIDS decision matrix. Getting yelled at is never fun but if that is how the coach communicates their expectations as long as your kid meets those expectations there shouldn't actually be a problem. Never forget that at that level your kid is getting paid to play soccer. There is nothing for nothing in this world. If they do their job there typically isn't a problem. If you have a concern whether or not your kid can take that kind of environment you probably SHOULD consider whether or not they have the right make up for the challenges they will definitely face.

Comment

Seriously folks, if this is the best advice the clowns on this site can come up with you really should start to wonder about what the heck they know about anything.

So what if the coach is a tyrant, unless your kid is a complete snowflake that melts under pressure that unto itself is not reason to not take a scholarship offer. It should just be one of the inputs into your KIDS decision matrix. Getting yelled at is never fun but if that is how the coach communicates their expectations as long as your kid meets those expectations there shouldn't actually be a problem. Never forget that at that level your kid is getting paid to play soccer. There is nothing for nothing in this world. If they do their job there typically isn't a problem. If you have a concern whether or not your kid can take that kind of environment you probably SHOULD consider whether or not they have the right make up for the challenges they will definitely face.
                            That really is enough now, BTNT. Go far, far away.

Comment

That really is enough now, BTNT. Go far, far away.
                              another useless post with zero content.

One of the things my D continuously heard through the recruiting process from D1 coaches was that they like players from her club because they know they are prepared for the brutal honesty of performance-based soccer. If you are not ready for coach that may yell at you, you may not be ready for D1 soccer.

Comment

another useless post with zero content.

One of the things my D continuously heard through the recruiting process from D1 coaches was that they like players from her club because they know they are prepared for the brutal honesty of performance-based soccer. If you are not ready for coach that may yell at you, you may not be ready for D1 soccer.
                                So, maybe, it does make sense to witness a few practices to see what it is like......

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X