Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    no...its just a sociological observance...its all in your head amigo!!!!!
    Just like saying the japanese are better in math, right?

Your amigos would be better at landscaping, right?

Comment

all that tells me is that most do not have "it". thats the thing, by definition"it" id rare. Parents just stretch the definitions to include their kids.

Mid major D1 is not "it"
      Even a mid major bound kid is carrying their high school team by sophomore year. Love how people love to **** on college bound players like anyone can just do it.

2% of female soccer players here move on to a D1 program. Most of the posters here have kids that don’t even have a shot. In a good year, CT might have 1-2 players in the state capable of top 25.

Comment

the funny thing about having "it" or not having "it" is how little any of this matters even 4 or 5 years after they finish HS (or college if they play college soccer). All of this amounts to nothing in reality, so enjoy the ride and watching your child.

Comment

the funny thing about having "it" or not having "it" is how little any of this matters even 4 or 5 years after they finish HS (or college if they play college soccer). All of this amounts to nothing in reality, so enjoy the ride and watching your child.
          It doesn't matter, other than hopefully we are fostering a love of the game which will be passed along to the next generation. That's how we will succeed on the world's stage.

But, I do get the reason for asking. Basically, if my kid can't cut it, I'd rather know sooner than later so I can put the flaps down and restructure our plans. Some will tell you if you aren't getting scholarship offers by the time 13, you're rubbish. Of course, that's bullshlt, but that's the opinion of some so people do question it.

Comment

Even a mid major bound kid is carrying their high school team by sophomore year. Love how people love to **** on college bound players like anyone can just do it.

2% of female soccer players here move on to a D1 program. Most of the posters here have kids that don’t even have a shot. In a good year, CT might have 1-2 players in the state capable of top 25.
            Top 25 programs
            5 freshman additions every year (?)
            125 total spots open every year

I'm rounding here, but there's about 100 ECNL clubs nationwide. For each age group, let's assume 20 kids? That means there's 2,000 kids (probably on the low side here) playing soccer in a league where they everyone thinks they're going to play college soccer. I have no idea how many DA clubs. But toss those in and then add on the foreign players being recruited. Even for kids playing at the "highest" level, only the best of the best of the best are going to top 25 soccer schools.

Comment

It doesn't matter, other than hopefully we are fostering a love of the game which will be passed along to the next generation. That's how we will succeed on the world's stage.

But, I do get the reason for asking. Basically, if my kid can't cut it, I'd rather know sooner than later so I can put the flaps down and restructure our plans. Some will tell you if you aren't getting scholarship offers by the time 13, you're rubbish. Of course, that's bullshlt, but that's the opinion of some so people do question it.
              having been through it, trust your eyes and your heart. You don't need to be a soccer expert to see where your kid fits in the landscape, just need to be honest with yourself and what you're seeing. I have a kid that was very good in Ulittle, but completely stagnated by U16, yet he continued to play and enjoyed it even if he didn't get to varsity until senior year. But as a parent it was tough to admit that the Ulittle promise wasn't fulfilled, but at a certain point you cannot ignore what you're seeing. Now I have another Ulittle that is about to make the transition (or not) so I'm living it all over again. Main thing to never forget is this is just a game and really doesn't matter in the big picture.

Comment

oh, and I agree about how important it is to foster the love down the generations. I'm hoping my non-varsity yet still soccer loving kid will do just that when he has kids!!!

Comment

confusing post. it sounds like in the end, neither of your kids had "it"
                  Once a parent says their kid "chose academics over D1' it's clear they never had "it"

Comment

Once a parent says their kid "chose academics over D1' it's clear they never had "it"
                    I strongly disagree
                    Thank you,
                    Juice

Comment

None of which is relevant. The question was not who has IT as defined in CT. Its a global standard. All you are saying is not many kids in CT have IT. Thats nothing to be ashamed of an no one said anyone can be a D1 athlete. Just the same as no one said every D1 athlete has IT.

All things being equal a lot more kids "could" play D1 soccer but choose not to because of all the sacrifice required. The D1 bar is not that high. The top kids have IT...simple really

Comment

^^Fact. The drive to be the best among the best is part of it. No shame in not wanting that, but dont tell me she had it..she didnt..she chose something else..all good. Parents are desperate to have it all.``

Comment

Thats a broad statement and not necessarily true.

One of mine had some solid D1 offers. Her goal is medicine. When meeting with coaches and faculty it became apparent that a medical school track and D1 soccer weren’t a match made in heaven.

Might be the exception though. Most kids that go the ECNL path are pretty hell bent on the D1

Comment

Thats a broad statement and not necessarily true.

One of mine had some solid D1 offers. Her goal is medicine. When meeting with coaches and faculty it became apparent that a medical school track and D1 soccer weren’t a match made in heaven.

Might be the exception though. Most kids that go the ECNL path are pretty hell bent on the D1
                            Same. My kid wants to be a doctor and we both read through the coaches spiels about planning courses around soccer and an occasional miss is ok .... you can not graduate in 4 years in pre-med without taking lots of courses with labs in the fall and the expectations were that academics were second .... even at the lower tier D1 soccer schools or decent academic D1s.

Comment

Question Man Responds

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2505423]
                              "I think you know from the first time they touch the ball." = stupid
                              "I do think you are born with certain qualities that will determine your success in this game." = pretty basic truth

There are reams and reams of studies etc. on the folly of talent identification before the end of physical/mental maturity. This is something professional soccer clubs all over the world have spent billions of dollars trying to figure out and they still only get it right sometimes.

As an earlier poster said (paraphrasing), the question itself is messed up. Are you asking who will be the best HS soccer player? Who can play high D1 college ball? Who's going to be on a national team? The answer to any of these can be different and in some ways has nothing to do with who has "it" (whatever "it" is) b/c the identification process in the US isn't the greatest. But anyone who thinks they can spot "it" the first time their 5 year old touched a soccer ball is a lunatic.[/QUOTE

How about you answer the question instead of criticizing other peoples opinions. THEY ARE OPINIONS dummy! Nobody actually cares about what you think.

Do you think anyone cares about your opinion on his opinion?

Comment

Question Man Responds

She'll play mid-major D1. I don't know many girls in the state going top 20.
                                What is "mid-major D1" in the first place?

Doesn't that sound like an awfully huge bucket full of many many many schools?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X