Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What age can you tell who has it??

Talking girls. What age can you tell they have it? More than big girl with big foot? Right now my kid is young enough that the big girls roll over most of the others, even the ones with bettwr skills.

I think by 13 or 14 you can tell. Depends on puberty.

My kid was pretty poor for a while, but coaches all said to hang in there because once she matures and grows into herself, it will come together. They were right.

Most of the girls I saw at the younger ages who amazed me, never grew and while skills don't go away, eventually size becomes a factor. Conversely, some big kids, or fast kids, at the younger age just became normal later and never had their skills develop.

Always will be others that you can tell earlier and some later.

Comment

define "it" ? if you look at D1 there is a world of difference between Stanford and Liberty. FSU and Wagner.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        I think by 13 or 14 you can tell. Depends on puberty.

My kid was pretty poor for a while, but coaches all said to hang in there because once she matures and grows into herself, it will come together. They were right.

Most of the girls I saw at the younger ages who amazed me, never grew and while skills don't go away, eventually size becomes a factor. Conversely, some big kids, or fast kids, at the younger age just became normal later and never had their skills develop.

Always will be others that you can tell earlier and some later.
        or maybe they just wanted you to keep writing checks.

Comment

or maybe they just wanted you to keep writing checks.
          Of course. But, in the end, they weren't wrong.

Comment

define "it" ? if you look at D1 there is a world of difference between Stanford and Liberty. FSU and Wagner.
            And, having "it" is relative to who is present and has more or less of "it". Often "it" is had in the small pond and when the big fish swim out to the ocean, they get eaten by the fish that really have "it". This is why so many foreign kids are on college rosters getting money. Most American kids only have it against other rich, white kids that play soccer 3 or 4 times a week that is paid for by their parents. The little kids from South America and Europe that play 5 hours a day 7 days a week for free are really the ones that have "it".

Comment

And, having "it" is relative to who is present and has more or less of "it". Often "it" is had in the small pond and when the big fish swim out to the ocean, they get eaten by the fish that really have "it". This is why so many foreign kids are on college rosters getting money. Most American kids only have it against other rich, white kids that play soccer 3 or 4 times a week that is paid for by their parents. The little kids from South America and Europe that play 5 hours a day 7 days a week for free are really the ones that have "it".
              Always has to turn it racist....

Comment

Always has to turn it racist....
                It only does when YOU continue to fabricate that my post had anything about race in it. The race stuff is in your head, not mine, fool.

Comment

Talking girls. What age can you tell they have it? More than big girl with big foot? Right now my kid is young enough that the big girls roll over most of the others, even the ones with bettwr skills.
                  I knew mine had it when I saw her kick the umbilical cord.

Comment

It only does when YOU continue to fabricate that my post had anything about race in it. The race stuff is in your head, not mine, fool.
                    You call out the rich, "white" kids in a derogatory manner, and yet you deny it has anything to do with race.

Ummm...you're the fool.

Comment

End of middle school/end of puberty. By then the physical differences have lessened and who really has it becomes more clear. Mental toughness also comes into play more.

Comment

I think you know from the first time they touch the ball. I have two daughters that play the game. My oldest stepped on the field at age 5 and we knew she had a natural talent for the sport and half of it was something coaches would say was something you couldn't teach. She was aggressive and had this incredible inner drive to win. Throughout her years, that has never changed, but in the end she chose academics over D1 simply b/c she didn't want the level of commitment D1 required. My second daughter is also very athletic, but is not built the same. We already know that soccer is just for fun and she will be happy to just play the game at the high school level. I would say it has a lot to do with personality and even if they check off all the boxes, they have to really want it in the end. A coach once said at a tryout that kids develop at different stages and the kids that are the strongest players now may not be the strongest players two years from now. Although I agree with that from a skills perspective, I do think you are born with certain qualities that will determine your success in this game

Comment

I think you know from the first time they touch the ball. I have two daughters that play the game. My oldest stepped on the field at age 5 and we knew she had a natural talent for the sport and half of it was something coaches would say was something you couldn't teach. She was aggressive and had this incredible inner drive to win. Throughout her years, that has never changed, but in the end she chose academics over D1 simply b/c she didn't want the level of commitment D1 required. My second daughter is also very athletic, but is not built the same. We already know that soccer is just for fun and she will be happy to just play the game at the high school level. I would say it has a lot to do with personality and even if they check off all the boxes, they have to really want it in the end. A coach once said at a tryout that kids develop at different stages and the kids that are the strongest players now may not be the strongest players two years from now. Although I agree with that from a skills perspective, I do think you are born with certain qualities that will determine your success in this game
                          "I think you know from the first time they touch the ball." = stupid
                          "I do think you are born with certain qualities that will determine your success in this game." = pretty basic truth

There are reams and reams of studies etc. on the folly of talent identification before the end of physical/mental maturity. This is something professional soccer clubs all over the world have spent billions of dollars trying to figure out and they still only get it right sometimes.

As an earlier poster said (paraphrasing), the question itself is messed up. Are you asking who will be the best HS soccer player? Who can play high D1 college ball? Who's going to be on a national team? The answer to any of these can be different and in some ways has nothing to do with who has "it" (whatever "it" is) b/c the identification process in the US isn't the greatest. But anyone who thinks they can spot "it" the first time their 5 year old touched a soccer ball is a lunatic.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2505388]"I think you know from the first time they touch the ball." = stupid
                            "I do think you are born with certain qualities that will determine your success in this game." = pretty basic truth

There are reams and reams of studies etc. on the folly of talent identification before the end of physical/mental maturity. This is something professional soccer clubs all over the world have spent billions of dollars trying to figure out and they still only get it right sometimes.

As an earlier poster said (paraphrasing), the question itself is messed up. Are you asking who will be the best HS soccer player? Who can play high D1 college ball? Who's going to be on a national team? The answer to any of these can be different and in some ways has nothing to do with who has "it" (whatever "it" is) b/c the identification process in the US isn't the greatest. But anyone who thinks they can spot "it" the first time their 5 year old touched a soccer ball is a lunatic.[/QUOTE

How about you answer the question instead of criticizing other peoples opinions. THEY ARE OPINIONS dummy! Nobody actually cares about what you think.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2505423]
                              "I think you know from the first time they touch the ball." = stupid

As an earlier poster said (paraphrasing), the question itself is messed up. Are you asking who will be the best HS soccer player? Who can play high D1 college ball? Who's going to be on a national team? The answer to any of these can be different and in some ways has nothing to do with who has "it" (whatever "it" is) b/c the identification process in the US isn't the greatest. But anyone who thinks they can spot "it" the first time their 5 year old touched a soccer ball is a lunatic.[/QUOTE

How about you answer the question instead of criticizing other peoples opinions. THEY ARE OPINIONS dummy! Nobody actually cares about what you think.
                              You asked him to answer the question...which would be opinion based. Then you said that nobody actually cares what you think.

Which is it?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X