Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ok. So where do you draw the line between a school that adds value to your child's career and prospects in life vs a school that takes 4 years of tuition and does nothing to improve you kid in any meaningful way? I get that saying top 100 or top 200 may be arbitrary but the idea of "there is a school for everyone is silly" After 4 years your kid will get a diploma... will employers care? Most employers only have resources to recruit from a small number of schools... so your amazing kid who may be perfect for company xxxx may never even have a chance because xxx doesn't bother to go to her school. Many jobs come through alumni networking but if your kids school has no alums at her dream company... good luck.
    That's the trick isn't it? Finding a balance between quality of school (where you'll be challenged but not struggle) that has strong alumni networks, internship opportunities, is something you can afford (or need to only take out reasonable loans) AND wants you for soccer. The answers aren't easy and are very individualized. If college wasn't so freaking expensive much of the angst would be reduced. But try not to make serious academic tradeoffs just to play.

Comment

That's the trick isn't it? Finding a balance between quality of school (where you'll be challenged but not struggle) that has strong alumni networks, internship opportunities, is something you can afford (or need to only take out reasonable loans) AND wants you for soccer. The answers aren't easy and are very individualized. If college wasn't so freaking expensive much of the angst would be reduced. But try not to make serious academic tradeoffs just to play.
      That's precisely the point. There are probably 100 or 200 schools where you can legitimately weigh the tradeoffs. This isn't debating Harvard vs Yale, even way down the list there are quality schools. However after a certain point the schools all lump together into a single bucket of crap. A crap school is still a crap school even if it's perfect place for Suzy. Perhaps Suzy is better off skipping college and using tuition money to start a business than spending 4 years having fun but not doing anything that will help her have a better life.

I see it all the time at tournaments where parents get so excited about some coach who spoke to them from some 3rd rate school. Yes they may get some money to go to that school... but why bother going at all? Just to say my kid got a D1 scholarship or is playing on a D3 team? It certainly benefits the parent ego but at the expense of the kid's future.

Comment

Did I ever mention Emory? Emory and all the UAA schools are solid and would definitely qualify for top 100. Throw in 20 or so state schools, all the ivys, and several other major conferences and you barely get to 100 or so. Even if you expand the list to say 200... the point i was making wasn't that there were exactly 98 top schools or 107 top schools but that out of 5000 the VAST majority are worthless.
        Except there are only about 950 D1, 2 and 3 schools in the country. If you’re taking 4-year colleges, that’s it.

Comment

That's precisely the point. There are probably 100 or 200 schools where you can legitimately weigh the tradeoffs. This isn't debating Harvard vs Yale, even way down the list there are quality schools. However after a certain point the schools all lump together into a single bucket of crap. A crap school is still a crap school even if it's perfect place for Suzy. Perhaps Suzy is better off skipping college and using tuition money to start a business than spending 4 years having fun but not doing anything that will help her have a better life.

I see it all the time at tournaments where parents get so excited about some coach who spoke to them from some 3rd rate school. Yes they may get some money to go to that school... but why bother going at all? Just to say my kid got a D1 scholarship or is playing on a D3 team? It certainly benefits the parent ego but at the expense of the kid's future.
          You’ve completely backed off of your original/asinine argument (only schools with 10% admit rates or top 100 schools are worthwhile, the rest are crap...that’s what you said). You are a blowhard, nothing more, nothing less. Your narrative is sketchy and I feel so sorry for your kid(s). I hope they can live up to your expectations.

Comment

If your son or daughter goes to college over the next decade and doesn't have a primary focus on STEM or healthcare, it doesn't really matter where they go to school. Get your minor in the classics. It's not going to pay the bills.

Comment

If your son or daughter goes to college over the next decade and doesn't have a primary focus on STEM or healthcare, it doesn't really matter where they go to school. Get your minor in the classics. It's not going to pay the bills.
              Or business. Totally agree minor or double major in what you love but have your main focus on employability or grad school for an employable degree

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X