Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xfire Billy Wiskel feedback

We are looking at joining xfire and looking for some feedback on Billy Wiskel. He is coaching our age group. Seems a bunch of kids have left all of a sudden from the teams he is currently coaching and wanting to know why.

Are you on the boys or girls side. He has teams on both.

Comment

Player on both sides possibly.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        We are looking at joining xfire and looking for some feedback on Billy Wiskel. He is coaching our age group. Seems a bunch of kids have left all of a sudden from the teams he is currently coaching and wanting to know why.
        I wouldn't read too much into it. There will be alot of movement this year.
        Lots of choices to move around and find your fit.
        Crossfire doesn't have a monopoly anymore, so go where your dd
        will be successful. Go to a kick around if possible asap or go see a practice.
        Just be aware that xf likes to keep big rosters like 18 and if you are
        15-18, your dd will see very little playtime.

He is an old school coach and believe in the competitive cauldron like AD
        at UNC. If your kid can't handle yelling and combative environment,
        then it isn't the right place. JB is hard, but they win. She is more
        scary than BW imho in different female way. Good luck.

Comment

I was the one that asked if you had a Boy or Girl as I have first hand knowledge on the boys side and have been around Billy with the girls a few times at tournaments and have a friend whos daughter players for him.

ON the boys side we have found the team/coach incredible. Yes he is a knowledgeable and demanding coach but treats the players fair and unlike any other club we have been in he seems to treat all of his teams with same high level of effort regardless if it’s his A or B team. We have had a coach at another club walk out mid way though an important state league game just to go across town to coach his girls A team. The boys know what they need to do if they want to earn the ability to play up with the academy (yes several kids have earned that opportunity) or if they are on his B team, train/play up with the A team.

If you are talking to Billy you probably know he has been holding light scrimmages during High School on some weekends. If you have the opportunity check it out- both teams without exception are great group of boys and from what we know of the couple of new kids at scrimmages the new crop looks like a good fit.

If your DK is looking at playing at college Billy has real contacts nationally and the intro's we have had so far been great. He is also super giving of his time talking individually to player about their college options.

As for the comment about you not wanting you child on a team with 18 players. Sorry but that is crazy talk. No matter where you player falls in the strength chart. Here is what competitive High School age soccer is like:

• Players out with injures/sick
          • Multiple weekend games with overlapping seasons (ECNL, RCL 1, NPL)
          • Boys playing up Academy or A team
          • Players out of town on college visits
          • Homecoming the same weekend as the Spokane away game
          • Showcases
          • Did I mention injuries/illness?

It wouldn’t be unusual for an 18 player roster to have 13-14 players for double header weekends . Every player last year had plenty of playing time.

Good luck with your search, if your kids are Junior/Seniors this is hopefully the last team they have before college so its an important decision.

And no this is not Billy :)

Comment

We have heard good things on the boys side and honestly only negative on the girls side. Which makes it super confusing. Two of his age groups on the girls side I think upwards of 9 players that were starters or got a lot of playing time just up and quit when the new coaching assignments came out a couple of weeks ago. Strong players from strong teams had enough. I'm sure a few of them probably jumped to reign to continue in the Da. But sure seems like a red flag.

Comment

We have heard good things on the boys side and honestly only negative on the girls side. Which makes it super confusing. Two of his age groups on the girls side I think upwards of 9 players that were starters or got a lot of playing time just up and quit when the new coaching assignments came out a couple of weeks ago. Strong players from strong teams had enough. I'm sure a few of them probably jumped to reign to continue in the Da. But sure seems like a red flag.
              You could be right that something might be wrong.
              But also it could be that there are 5 ECNL and 1 DA clubs
              in the nearby area. I have seen some DA girls jump ship
              early to ECNL clubs and vice versa. If 9 players quit early,
              then they have left the club.

Billy has the 02 ECNL and 04 DA this year. I can see all of the 02 ECNL
              girls leaving since they will be most likely cut due to the DA girls
              going into ECNL next year. It is not Billy they are freaking about, it is JB.
              She will not take any of those girls for ECNL. If some of these
              girls are committed, they need to leave to play higher level.
              Most likely Eastside will benefit from this. I won't be surprised if
              Crossfire loses all of their current ECNL girls to other clubs.
              Things are gonna be intense, friends.

Comment

I would watch him in action and decide for yourself if you think his brand of yelling and screaming is a good fit for your DD/DS. As others have touched on above, it's not for everyone. If you're interested in ECNL, you have 4 other clubs to choose from that may be a better fit.

Comment

You could be right that something might be wrong.
                  But also it could be that there are 5 ECNL and 1 DA clubs
                  in the nearby area. I have seen some DA girls jump ship
                  early to ECNL clubs and vice versa. If 9 players quit early,
                  then they have left the club.

Billy has the 02 ECNL and 04 DA this year. I can see all of the 02 ECNL
                  girls leaving since they will be most likely cut due to the DA girls
                  going into ECNL next year. It is not Billy they are freaking about, it is JB.
                  She will not take any of those girls for ECNL. If some of these
                  girls are committed, they need to leave to play higher level.
                  Most likely Eastside will benefit from this. I won't be surprised if
                  Crossfire loses all of their current ECNL girls to other clubs.
                  Things are gonna be intense, friends.
                  Crossfire ECNL will take the best 18-20 players per age group.

There will be Crossfire ECNL players that will make next year's ECNL team.

Comment

Crossfire ECNL will take the best 18-20 players per age group.

There will be Crossfire ECNL players that will make next year's ECNL team.
                    But only 16 travel. If you are player number 14-20, you will have a miserable experience. No playing time and your confidence will plummet.

Comment

But only 16 travel. If you are player number 14-20, you will have a miserable experience. No playing time and your confidence will plummet.
                      You noticed that, too? Appears that XF will pay for the 16 to travel,
                      but what happens to 17-20? Do 17-20 have to pay for the privilege
                      to sit on the bench and play 5 minutes? Or they can't travel at all?

Comment

It will be interesting to see the 05 girls transition from Andy, some girls have only had him as a coach. Billy is a lucky person to be handed this team, hopefully the girls can adapt to his style. I am sad to see Andy leave the game.

Comment

You noticed that, too? Appears that XF will pay for the 16 to travel,
                          but what happens to 17-20? Do 17-20 have to pay for the privilege
                          to sit on the bench and play 5 minutes? Or they can't travel at all?
                          If you are 17-20, why would you want to pay to travel? Or why would you even want to spend the whole weekend in a hotel room then go sit on the bench? In some cases, players have to leave early to catch a flight.

Comment

Only 16 players travel. Therefore, no one pays to travel. There are 17-18 girls on the rosters and this allows for injuries or illness.

Comment

Only 16 players travel. Therefore, no one pays to travel. There are 17-18 girls on the rosters and this allows for injuries or illness.
                              Right. Tell that to the two girls that you are spare parts, just in case for
                              injuries or illness.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X