Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Couldn't have said it better !! Sometimes "families" chase the dream of playing "the highest level soccer" without having those discussions of exactly WHERE these children are trying to get to or what THEIR goals are..
    Goals are often too lofty. A club doing its job properly will guide a family to what is realistic, not tell the player what they want to hear. Many families won't listen of course but they were warned. I knew my oldest was too small to compete at the highest level and his coach told him that. Of course he still "wanted" that but adjusted his expectations to find a more attainable target.

Comment

Goals are often too lofty. A club doing its job properly will guide a family to what is realistic, not tell the player what they want to hear. Many families won't listen of course but they were warned. I knew my oldest was too small to compete at the highest level and his coach told him that. Of course he still "wanted" that but adjusted his expectations to find a more attainable target.
      Yes, I have to agree.. simply having a goal without honest personal reflection ( throw out half of those delusional soccer parents who think their child is the next National Team All-Star ) of what is actually Attainable and whether you have the opportunity and means to even travel down that path to get to that goal is a huge part of the process. Good Luck to your son !! Sounds like he'll be successful in reaching is goals.. and reap the benefit of what comes along with it along the way !

Comment

Most club attempt to do that in one form or fashion, passively or assertively through discussion, play time or cuts. With even small clubs having hundreds of kids potentially in recruiting age, it hard to handle objectively.

Most parents, including myself have visions of greatness for their kids early on but reality does eventually come a knockin'. That is not always a bad thing when reality leads your kid to D3 University of Chicago and Johns Hopkins.

Comment

Most club attempt to do that in one form or fashion, passively or assertively through discussion, play time or cuts. With even small clubs having hundreds of kids potentially in recruiting age, it hard to handle objectively.

Most parents, including myself have visions of greatness for their kids early on but reality does eventually come a knockin'. That is not always a bad thing when reality leads your kid to D3 University of Chicago and Johns Hopkins.
          SOrry but no. A club DOC or coach should sit down with each family to discuss what types of programs are the best fit. When families over-shoot, which most will without guidance, they get angry and frustrated and will partly blame the club. A club that helps families effectively target programs will have a much better recruiting track record and have more happy families who then keep younger siblings there or recommend the club to others. Besides, if you've spent upwards of $10grand at a club over a few years that is the least they can do.

Comment

SOrry but no. A club DOC or coach should sit down with each family to discuss what types of programs are the best fit. When families over-shoot, which most will without guidance, they get angry and frustrated and will partly blame the club. A club that helps families effectively target programs will have a much better recruiting track record and have more happy families who then keep younger siblings there or recommend the club to others. Besides, if you've spent upwards of $10grand at a club over a few years that is the least they can do.

While agree with you 100% in theory, it just doesn't happen in reality. We all live in proximity of at least 3 clubs (most likely) and how often does that happen? Rarely I would wager. It would be great if it did and wish it would.

We like our club alot. Been here for 7 years and I can tell you that only once did a honest college goal discussion take place and that was with the coach as most his players were juniors. What you are recommending should be on ongoing practice starting at U15 as that is when most kids/parents start thinking about the possibilities.

I honestly wish what you were saying is true and if there is a club that does that (honestly, with rigor built into the process) please share the club so others can benefit.

Comment

Couldn't have said it better !! Sometimes "families" chase the dream of playing "the highest level soccer" without having those discussions of exactly WHERE these children are trying to get to or what THEIR goals are..
              This is from a club that has no ECNL or GDA. Some kids need to play where they can get playing time and look good. Keep your kid away from the top leagues.

Comment

Genius .. The top DA teams would beat ECNL .. did you have to put a lot of research into that one?? Obviously there’s no argument that DA has top quality teams .. The point is the top few ECNL teams would probably crash half of the DA teams at the bottom of at their conference at their age level. People shouldn’t be disillusioned that DA is the end-all be-all.
                The top 3-4,teams in each GDA Conference would win 90% of the games against ECNL top teams. Specifically in the southeast conference the top 5 or 6 SE GDA teams would beat the top Southest ECNL teams cause most of those teams have the GDA 2nd team in it. South that is reality for this Florida Forum.

Comment

JFC can beat any GDA team in Florida. FESA is better than United Soccer Alliance, Boca & IMG GDA teams. TBU is also. They will give WFF, Weston & Pride good games.... Your fooling yourself if you think GDA in Florida is a better league option.. AH is a GDA director. He’s going to ECNL..If you don’t think this guy understands the landscape, your fooling yourself again..

Comment

JFC can beat any GDA team in Florida. FESA is better than United Soccer Alliance, Boca & IMG GDA teams. TBU is also. They will give WFF, Weston & Pride good games.... Your fooling yourself if you think GDA in Florida is a better league option.. AH is a GDA director. He’s going to ECNL..If you don’t think this guy understands the landscape, your fooling yourself again..
                    Put down the pipe, JFC's top team the 02's was not even the best last year when there was no GDA.

Comment

Put down the pipe, JFC's top team the 02's was not even the best last year when there was no GDA.
                      JFC, as a club, is capable of winning the weekend matches vs any DA club in Florida.

Comment

While agree with you 100% in theory, it just doesn't happen in reality. We all live in proximity of at least 3 clubs (most likely) and how often does that happen? Rarely I would wager. It would be great if it did and wish it would.

We like our club alot. Been here for 7 years and I can tell you that only once did a honest college goal discussion take place and that was with the coach as most his players were juniors. What you are recommending should be on ongoing practice starting at U15 as that is when most kids/parents start thinking about the possibilities.

I honestly wish what you were saying is true and if there is a club that does that (honestly, with rigor built into the process) please share the club so others can benefit.
                        You are speaking from your own experience with your club. Ours did what the poster described - coach met with each family to help focus the search. It was very helpful. My players definitely had stars in their eyes and a reality check made the process much smoother. Many clubs also have a college night to give a bigger picture presentation to families. Seriously, you're paying your club a lot of money. A coach can't take a few hours out to meet with each family for half an hour? Will that coach make phone calls or take phone calls with college coaches? Because that is needed too. Yes the vast majority of recruiting falls on the player/family but clubs should be assisting in the process as much as they can. Like the poster said it helps keep families happy and their placement lists better. It's in their best interest.

Comment

JFC, as a club, is capable of winning the weekend matches vs any DA club in Florida.
                          Pride and Weston are the only DA clubs that can compete. The rest are pretty poor.

Comment

Pride and Weston are the only DA clubs that can compete. The rest are pretty poor.
                            True and the cute of them both are very much up
                            In the air.

Comment

True and the cute of them both are very much up
                              In the air.
                              The future of them both is up in the air.

Comment

The future of them both is up in the air.
                                the future girls DA in Florida doesn’t look great

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X