Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Trashiest people I have had the pleasure of sharing the sideline with are the NY/NJ parents from PDA/World Class/EMSC etc.

It’s like a bad episode of jersey shore listening to them scream at the refs, our players, their coach, their own kids, and of course, each other.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is any of the southern teams like NCFC or Top Hat. Those parents will chat you up and compliment the kids from the opposing team during the game.
    EMSC is awful. Low grade rabble.

Comment

The Development Academy is making things worse. No team play all individual play.
      Everyone is trying to show off they are better than the next kid. Parents think their kids is going to be the next super star at u12 and u13.

Soccer is a team sport so the kids need to learn to use individual skill in the context of team play.No one in America plays enough soccer to be a Messi or Ronaldo but they could turn out to be a Geoff Cameron - good size, tough, technical and tactical proficient .
      I dont think you can blame that on DA. Those kids and parents always existed and always will. DA at the older ages actually is different in my experience. Parents are somewhat grounded at this stage because they have gone through the craziness of the younger aged kids and parents trying to get noticed.
      The worst ones are the parents going through the process with their first or only kid/ superstar.

Comment

the U11 thing is interesting. At FC United at U11 we had a striker who was almost as good as Diego. Actually faster than Diego with good ball skills. Not very big. They were the 2 best players in the state at U11. The same size as Diego. Was good at U12 then dropped way off. Always loved the game. Is about the same size as Diego now. If you haven't heard Diego is coaching at his old club FC United!!! Also, we lost in the U11 finals even with the 2 best players in the state. The other team marked Diego with a very good defensive player who went on to play D1 college soccer.

Comment

Diego? Costa? Forlan?? Carmine San???

Comment

Diego? Costa? Forlan?? Carmine San???
            The 1 and ONLY Diego !

Comment

The 1 and ONLY Diego !
              Segui?

Comment

the U11 thing is interesting. At FC United at U11 we had a striker who was almost as good as Diego. Actually faster than Diego with good ball skills. Not very big. They were the 2 best players in the state at U11. The same size as Diego. Was good at U12 then dropped way off. Always loved the game. Is about the same size as Diego now. If you haven't heard Diego is coaching at his old club FC United!!! Also, we lost in the U11 finals even with the 2 best players in the state. The other team marked Diego with a very good defensive player who went on to play D1 college soccer.
                What does this have to do with the thread title? Oh, you are one of those crazies..

Comment

What does this have to do with the thread title? Oh, you are one of those crazies..
                  No kidding. Talking about losing a U11 game from some time ago....

Let it go, mi amigo. Let it go.

Comment

The 1 and ONLY Diego !
                    Go Diego, Go!

Comment

Oh my daughter's U11 team is chock full of D1 full rides if you ask the parents. It is insane. I just hope to have my daughter continuing to play and if she makes DA or plays any level of college that would be great, if thats what she wants to do.

Comment

The Development Academy is making things worse. No team play all individual play.
                        Everyone is trying to show off they are better than the next kid. Parents think their kids is going to be the next super star at u12 and u13.

Soccer is a team sport so the kids need to learn to use individual skill in the context of team play.No one in America plays enough soccer to be a Messi or Ronaldo but they could turn out to be a Geoff Cameron - good size, tough, technical and tactical proficient .
                        this is exactly why US Soccer will never succeed. IT wants to see individuals succeed. so by saying that in it's mission statement, it now promotes that way of thinking...to play as an individual. And you are correct. A team sport requires a TEAM working together.

A team plays for each other, not themselves. College is about team. Club is supposed to be as well, but it's not.

Comment

Trashiest people I have had the pleasure of sharing the sideline with are the NY/NJ parents from PDA/World Class/EMSC etc.

It’s like a bad episode of jersey shore listening to them scream at the refs, our players, their coach, their own kids, and of course, each other.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is any of the southern teams like NCFC or Top Hat. Those parents will chat you up and compliment the kids from the opposing team during the game.
                          I'm not from a southern team and will compliment good play. And NCFC & TH parents complain too if you are beating or drawing them. And yes, NY/NJ parents are from another planet most times.

I do yell at ref when they don't stop bad behavior or dangerous play even from my kid's team. It's their job to protect the player. That is when I raz the ref (my oldest kid refs so i respect them, but don't like it when they dial it in and can't keep up with the play or don't want to and allow the game to get out of control. I insist on control of the game before the bad injury occurs. THAT is their job and some don't do it well. Many do, but some don't.

Comment

this is exactly why US Soccer will never succeed. IT wants to see individuals succeed. so by saying that in it's mission statement, it now promotes that way of thinking...to play as an individual. And you are correct. A team sport requires a TEAM working together.

A team plays for each other, not themselves. College is about team. Club is supposed to be as well, but it's not.
                            HS is as well. It's one of many reasons why my kids didn't want to do BDA/GDA. Club is not the same, I think because

- there's less bonding time (the kids only see each other a few times/week for 1.5 hours at a time. HS, college, they're together for longer periods of time, see each other in class, on campus, hang out together). Kids move teams frequently too.
                            - a few bad parents can infect not only the sidelines but the team itself. Parents get uptight about playing time and recruiting and one upping each other and video taping their kid.
                            - some coaches aren't team builders (true everywhere, not just club) and in club they change frequently

Comment

I'm not from a southern team and will compliment good play. And NCFC & TH parents complain too if you are beating or drawing them. And yes, NY/NJ parents are from another planet most times.

I do yell at ref when they don't stop bad behavior or dangerous play even from my kid's team. It's their job to protect the player. That is when I raz the ref (my oldest kid refs so i respect them, but don't like it when they dial it in and can't keep up with the play or don't want to and allow the game to get out of control. I insist on control of the game before the bad injury occurs. THAT is their job and some don't do it well. Many do, but some don't.
                              Long Island - the worst at a general population level

Comment

HS is as well. It's one of many reasons why my kids didn't want to do BDA/GDA. Club is not the same, I think because

- there's less bonding time (the kids only see each other a few times/week for 1.5 hours at a time. HS, college, they're together for longer periods of time, see each other in class, on campus, hang out together). Kids move teams frequently too.
                                The BDA kids actually travel a lot and spend a great deal of time together. Also, they're together all year. I'm not saying it's the same as high school but it's also not as different as you suggest.

- a few bad parents can infect not only the sidelines but the team itself. Parents get uptight about playing time and recruiting and one upping each other and video taping their kid.
                                I've been down the high school road with 2 of my children. There are equally nutty and conniving parents that infect the high school game. That is most definitely not unique to club soccer.

- some coaches aren't team builders (true everywhere, not just club) and in club they change frequently
                                This happens at every level of sports.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X