X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Academy

Hello,
    I have a son who wants to try out for academy team. He received an invite for Revolution Academy. We are wondering if Seacoast would be a better option. He is a 03 anyone have any information as to coach and how strong a team this year is? Thanks

Same league, playing the same teams, looks like Revs are having a little better season so far. Doesn't carry the Revs name (up to you if that's a good or a bad thing).

I won't vouch for the costs and travel, impact, etc. and the differences between the two.

My experiences with the coaching staff over the years has been excellent.

Might be a good option to investigate if this is your first Academy experience. Those I know who have gone through it had nothing bad to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Same league, playing the same teams, looks like Revs are having a little better season so far. Doesn't carry the Revs name (up to you if that's a good or a bad thing).

I won't vouch for the costs and travel, impact, etc. and the differences between the two.

My experiences with the coaching staff over the years has been excellent.

Might be a good option to investigate if this is your first Academy experience. Those I know who have gone through it had nothing bad to say.
      Agreed - Rev Academy program is strong. Player development is still their priority rather than trying to get kids scholarships. They are open with kids and parents. Not every academy program is open about level of play - I have seen too many academy kids end up sacrificing their HS experience in order to play academy and the kid still ends up playing DIII - which they could have done without Academy. Be tempered with your expectations of an Academy program and go in with a self awareness of your son's ability and growth. It happens in in MA, CT, NH... all over. It is up to you and your son to decide what's best and if it is worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Agreed - Rev Academy program is strong. Player development is still their priority rather than trying to get kids scholarships. They are open with kids and parents. Not every academy program is open about level of play - I have seen too many academy kids end up sacrificing their HS experience in order to play academy and the kid still ends up playing DIII - which they could have done without Academy. Be tempered with your expectations of an Academy program and go in with a self awareness of your son's ability and growth. It happens in in MA, CT, NH... all over. It is up to you and your son to decide what's best and if it is worth it.
        Yes first he needs to decide what he really wants in terms of training,. what his long term goals are, what he willing or unwilling to give up. Revs generally do a little better than Seacoast (and it's free) but obviously from NH it will have a much bigger impact on his time and yours.

Revs gets the better talent because they're MLS and free but they are a very flawed organization. They don't practice the required 4 days/week, coaching is very inconsistent in quality, they tend to only focus on a few top players and could care less about the rest. If you have the stomach for it there's a very long thread on the MA board about them http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showthread.php?t=147610

If he got an invite for the Revs then Seacoast would be interested in him as well. Take him to practices at both clubs and see where he fits. If he does ok but doesn't standout he might struggle for PT. DA is good if you're a starter but its benefits greatly diminish past that. Make sure to chat up parents and get some inside intel.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        Working...
        X