Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nwsl

Absent a miracle, Boston Breakers are going away. NWSL able to do a bit of marketing redirection with the collapse of FC KC (team collapses but new team in Utah appears simultaneously), but that is 2 franchises collapsing in one off-season (each had their own GDA) . . . . this is not a good time for women's pro soccer in this country.

At the same time, pro soccer in France, England, and Spain seems more stable. How is that possible?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Absent a miracle, Boston Breakers are going away. NWSL able to do a bit of marketing redirection with the collapse of FC KC (team collapses but new team in Utah appears simultaneously), but that is 2 franchises collapsing in one off-season (each had their own GDA) . . . . this is not a good time for women's pro soccer in this country.

At the same time, pro soccer in France, England, and Spain seems more stable. How is that possible?
    Because when a u15 boys would wipe the floor with the women's US national team it's painfully obvious that women's soccer isn't on the level of even some of the struggling mls teams. They have some culture in Europe to keep it going but women's soccer isn't getting better here.

Hats off to the US soccer federation. Everywhere they go and everything they get involved with seems to fail.

Comment

Player compensation and promotion relegation for men’s and women’s side are needed

Comment

It is a women's league and to grow they need to be drawing more and more passionate female fans. However, in spite of knowing a lot of female soccer players I don't know a lot who are really strong fans who watch games week in and week out.

Comment

It is a women's league and to grow they need to be drawing more and more passionate female fans. However, in spite of knowing a lot of female soccer players I don't know a lot who are really strong fans who watch games week in and week out.
          . . . and 15,000 of the 20,000 avid women soccer fans live in Portland.

Comment

Unfortunately Women who love playing soccer seem to have better things to do then watch it for 2 hours on a weekend.

Comment

Other countries are putting more of an effort behind it, that's why. I can't remember who but didn't several of our soccer stars go abroad to play? Why? Money, training environment, soccer culture. We have a very limited men's soccer culture and for women it's all but nonexistent save the big international events every few years. For a pro league to survive you not only need big corporate money but butts in seats and fans buying gear. Even the WNBA, which has the support of the NBA and is a much more popular sport struggles to get attention. Sports fans, even female sports fans, don't care about women's sports.

Comment

Have you ever been to a women's game in France, England, or Spain?

You get a few games with attendance over 10K people, but most are around 3K people.

Most players are not paid much their either.

Comment

Have you ever been to a women's game in France, England, or Spain?

You get a few games with attendance over 10K people, but most are around 3K people.

Most players are not paid much their either.
                  Yet somehow it is more stable than the American version. I also don't think they pay less:
                  http://equalizersoccer.com/2014/01/1...mpions-league/
                  PHILADELPHIA – There is a stark realization among National Women’s Soccer League coaches: they can’t compete with European clubs financially for players.
                  Five of the league’s nine coaches hosted a roundtable discussion on Thursday to discuss how their goals of improving the league ahead of Friday’s 2014 NWSL College Draft, and the message was clear that Europe can pay players more. The prestige of the UEFA Women’s Champions League – as noted by several U.S. national team players this NWSL offseason – is also an advantage that Europe holds over the top flight in the United States.
                  “We can’t compete financially with the European teams and we can’t compete with the Champions League,” Sky Blue FC coach Jim Gabarra said.

NWSL salaries ranged from $6,000-$30,000 in 2013, with most players — including allocated players for Canada and Mexico — falling in the middle of that range, below $20,000 for the season.

Comment

Unfortunately Women who love playing soccer seem to have better things to do then watch it for 2 hours on a weekend.
                    I have tried watching the NWSL games on TV. I wanted to enjoy it. But I didn't enjoy it. Camera work wasn't great, the announcing wasn't great. It was actually boring.

One of the things that makes the EPL fun to watch is the quality announcers.

Women's college soccer is actually more fun to watch than NWSL.

Promotion/relegation would be a good step in the right direction.

Comment

I have tried watching the NWSL games on TV. I wanted to enjoy it. But I didn't enjoy it. Camera work wasn't great, the announcing wasn't great. It was actually boring.

Couldn't even get my girls to watch the final for more than 2 minutes. Big, empty stadium (by the way that is sometimes the same issue in Europe - playing games in men's stadium).

Comment

Actually going to a thorns game is fun if it's sunny. Tickets are cheap, just drink beer elsewhere before you go.

Comment

Because when a u15 boys would wipe the floor with the women's US national team it's painfully obvious that women's soccer isn't on the level of even some of the struggling mls teams. They have some culture in Europe to keep it going but women's soccer isn't getting better here.

Hats off to the US soccer federation. Everywhere they go and everything they get involved with seems to fail.
                          You should be an analyst... Like women in the WNBA compares to the NBA, or any other sport for that matter. It's called testosterone buddy, google it

Comment

You should be an analyst... Like women in the WNBA compares to the NBA, or any other sport for that matter. It's called testosterone buddy, google it
                            No one watches the women's basketball either - a much more fun sport that's far more popular. Lots of money behind the WNBA also. My girls love to watch men's soccer and never watch the women's except the NT. Female sports is a tough sell here and might always be so. Women's soccer is a very tough sell

Comment

No one watches the women's basketball either - a much more fun sport that's far more popular. Lots of money behind the WNBA also. My girls love to watch men's soccer and never watch the women's except the NT. Female sports is a tough sell here and might always be so. Women's soccer is a very tough sell
                              Did you watch the College Cups? Do you watch any televised conference games like SEC Network or ACC or others? Do you watch any women's tennis matches? Any women's golf matches? Catch any of the softball championships (on ESPN2) in the spring? There is no way the most popular sport (not just women's sport, but sport) in the world should be broadcast on U-tube or Lifetime network instead of a prime sports station with quality announcers and advertising.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X