Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWRL, ODP-Friendship Cup, State Cup

Honest question... do local college coaches scout high school aged players from FWRL, Friendship Cup, or State Cup semis or finals? I know these events are attended by coaches but have these events helped players get on these coaches radars? I know FC has local d2, and d3 local schools attend. Any insight?

This is the WORST place on the internet to ask any honest questions.

Comment

We've had lots of college coaches over the years at FWRL. State Cup possibly if you invite a coach that is interested.

Comment

For as much chatter people argue about on here about GDA vs ECNL and recruiting, the need for a thread like this is helpful for families with players not in “elite” leagues. Especially, given people love to point out how you don’t need those leagues.

FWRL at Starfire had quite a few coaches. Hopefully players reached out ahead of time. ODP Regional in Phoenix also had a lot of coaches. Friendship Cup tends to attract local schools players have a decent shot at making their rosters.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Honest question... do local college coaches scout high school aged players from FWRL, Friendship Cup, or State Cup semis or finals? I know these events are attended by coaches but have these events helped players get on these coaches radars? I know FC has local d2, and d3 local schools attend. Any insight?
          If your child wants to play college soccer there are two things that he/she needs to do.

1. Have a 3.8 GPA or better.
          2. Be persistent and contact coaches ALL THE TIME!

Do those two things and they will come to your local park to watch you play in a beer league on Sunday.

The leagues/cups really don’t matter. It comes down to persistence and hard work!

Comment

The simple answer is NO. Not even the local community colleges scout these events.

Comment

The simple answer is NO. Not even the local community colleges scout these events.
              They hang out at the local ECNL teams events.

Comment

but they're at least consistent most CCs don't scout at all. or they fool themselves into thinking they do, at most.

Comment

FWRL games in Seattle had a great turnout. Yes, this is a great options for non ECNL and non DA girls. FWRL for the Portland Showcase was pretty poor, but still had a few college coaches from every level, mostly OR and WA coaches. State Cup is only driven by players contacting the local coaches and inviting them out. Regional ODP event in Phoenix has a decent representation. Most of the Regional ODP staff are also college coaches. Friendship cup has a very low attendance for college coaches, usually only local and those are usually coaches that have already been in communication with players.

Comment

FWRL games in Seattle had a great turnout. Yes, this is a great options for non ECNL and non DA girls. FWRL for the Portland Showcase was pretty poor, but still had a few college coaches from every level, mostly OR and WA coaches. State Cup is only driven by players contacting the local coaches and inviting them out. Regional ODP event in Phoenix has a decent representation. Most of the Regional ODP staff are also college coaches. Friendship cup has a very low attendance for college coaches, usually only local and those are usually coaches that have already been in communication with players.
                    I agree with this assessment. Seattle FWRL leg had many coaches of all levels at every game. But our team has had PNW schools come to state cup games to watch a player they’ve been in touch with. Totally up to the player to initiate that.

Comment

Wrong, college coaches do attend these events.

Comment

but they're at least consistent most CCs don't scout at all. or they fool themselves into thinking they do, at most.
                        Nice try.

As someone hinted at before, it's up to the player to get the interest of a coach. Even CCs have 4-year program's coaching staff out at their games. There are CCs and JCs that have working relationships with NCAA and NAIA schools as far as being aware of players that cold fit well into their programs and have fulfilled the minimum academic requirements to enter as a transfer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X