Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    How about starting by just referring to them as "American" and ignoring their surnames, their family's ethnic heritage, or where they reside? There is no such thing as a "traditional" American athlete--Americans come from (and reside in) all parts of the world, and they always have.

Bottom line is that our American soccer players are, on the whole, pretty good--probably somewhere between 10th and 20th best in the world. We aren't higher for lots of reasons--most notably significant competition from other high profile sports that operate in the US and that have lesser profiles in many countries where soccer rules supreme. As soccer grows in popularity here, there will likely be increasing numbers of high quality American players, maybe enough to put us into a top 10 position. But as long as the NFL, NBA and NHL are big and profitable (I leave out MLB because I truly believe it is on the decline), it will be tough for soccer to become the biggest sport in this country and thereby attract a large majority of its best athletes.
    Soccer is the one sport where you cannot leave ethnicity out of the discussion. It is the only sport where the influence of different races, cultures, heritage all merge together and consider themselves "American". We don't see that in baseball, where the Dominicans refer to themselves as that, or football, where it is a rare occasion to see a foreign athlete. The NHL is dominated by Europeans and Slavs. Even basketball, where some foreign athletes compete at the highest level, does not have the cultural melting pot that is soccer.
    How should we refer to the American World Cup Squad where defined lines of nationality and qualification are so poorly delineated? What qualifies you to be on the Ryder Cup American team?
    Depending upon your view point, it seems that we are no longer able to describe an American athlete as "American", in a singular type definition. At least in soccer.

Comment

Could you enlighten me as to what an "American" name would be? Despite the hereditary diversity of these teams, what indication do you have that they aren't "American"?
      Looks like the Politically Correct crowd has woken up

Comment

So, what's your solution to the perceived problem? Cap the numbers with ethnic surnames. .. ?[/QUOTE]

Admit that the current system is not working and blow it up. JK looked for kids born (and trained) elsewhere in picking his team for the World Cup.

Comment

Soccer is the one sport where you cannot leave ethnicity out of the discussion. It is the only sport where the influence of different races, cultures, heritage all merge together and consider themselves "American". We don't see that in baseball, where the Dominicans refer to themselves as that, or football, where it is a rare occasion to see a foreign athlete. The NHL is dominated by Europeans and Slavs. Even basketball, where some foreign athletes compete at the highest level, does not have the cultural melting pot that is soccer.
          How should we refer to the American World Cup Squad where defined lines of nationality and qualification are so poorly delineated? What qualifies you to be on the Ryder Cup American team?
          Depending upon your view point, it seems that we are no longer able to describe an American athlete as "American", in a singular type definition. At least in soccer.
          Actually, its pretty simple. Citizenship. If you are a US citizen, then you are an "American" athlete. You might have been born to citizenship, or maybe you changed citizenship. But who cares?--Either way, if you have become a citizen, you are 100% American.

Comment

Actually, its pretty simple. Citizenship. If you are a US citizen, then you are an "American" athlete. You might have been born to citizenship, or maybe you changed citizenship. But who cares?--Either way, if you have become a citizen, you are 100% American.
            Excellent.

Comment

While I don't at all disagree with you.......

That would be really really cool if citizens in this country actually considered themselves just Americans instead of needing to highlight all other identities instead and claim some kind of extra privelage. What next? Do you want everyone to speak English as well??

Comment

Bolts U16 http://ussda.demosphere.com/teams/68...7602/TEAM.html

Bolts U18 http://ussda.demosphere.com/teams/68...7603/TEAM.html

Bolts U14 not online yet

Bolts pre-academy teams typically do not post their rosters
                Bolts U14 DAP is now online

http://ussda.demosphere.com/teams/68...7604/TEAM.html

Comment

By that definition of the 20 U18's, nearly all are US Citizens. Two are slightly different, one with joint Nigerian citizenship and the second spent some time in the UK. Not bad.

Comment

While I don't at all disagree with you.......

That would be really really cool if citizens in this country actually considered themselves just Americans instead of needing to highlight all other identities instead and claim some kind of extra privelage. What next? Do you want everyone to speak English as well??
                    Last I heard, there was no language requirement for citizenship. And there's no rule preventing folks from highlighting their cultural heritage. Speak whatever language you want, celebrate whatever heritage you want. If you are a citizen, you are an American.

Comment

no 2001's?

Comment

The 18's should field a strong team lead by some excellent players in the middle of the park.

Comment

Last I heard, there was no language requirement for citizenship. And there's no rule preventing folks from highlighting their cultural heritage. Speak whatever language you want, celebrate whatever heritage you want. If you are a citizen, you are an American.
                          http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/naturalization-test

Sounds like you are not familiar with the Naturalization test. Check the English section. If you don't pass, pray for a waiver.

Comment

Why do the Revs have 5 2001s on the roster and the Bolts have 0?

Doesn't US Soccer like to see players playing up?

Comment

Looks like the Politically Correct crowd has woken up
                              Not politically correct, just CORRECT.

My son was born in Boston to two parents both of whom were also born in the US, whose parents (my son's 4grandparents) were also born in the US. We do all have an immigrant paternal surname inherited from a naturalized US citizen that served in the First World War. My point is not politically correct, it's that you can't tell an "American" from a non-American by their last name or by the language their parents or grandparents speak. I just wanted you to enlighten me as to what a good American name would be, since apparently I'm the one who's ignorant

Comment

Why do the Revs have 5 2001s on the roster and the Bolts have 0?

Doesn't US Soccer like to see players playing up?
                                Because the all the Bolts 2001's play in the PreAcademy. I'm sure you'll see some playing up in the spring.

As the Revs don't compete in the PreAcademy they opt to include 2001's in order to ensure some player continuity year to year.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X