Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    i call BS on this. the poster just does not have the same experience as you. that does not equal nothing to offer. none of these posts are really sharing anything. They are people trying to show you how in the know they are. This ....

I see a lot of families that get sucked into commitment being the "next step" on the club soccer treadmill. They do it because others are. Your situation is unique and you should be clear about that. people calling me names or saying its negative are wrong. its so unique to you that other than pretty obvious stuff, there is no advice i can really give you other than know your child and plan accordingly. The best advice would actually be save enough $$ to make soccer a non issue.

Just keeping it real.

..is the most informative thing posted so far.

Add to your best advice - keep up the grades and prep for tests. Good grades and scores will give you far more opportunities soccer and academics wise. A nice merit package is highly desired - it sticks for all four years as long as you maintain a manageable GPA. Outside of the top 5 conferences athletic awards are not guaranteed and are subject to review each year. Quit or get cut and you may be struggling to pay for college. Coaches have dozens of players to chose from for each spot. If they're worried you might struggle academically you better be a stud to overcome that.

Comment

Add to your best advice - keep up the grades and prep for tests. Good grades and scores will give you far more opportunities soccer and academics wise. A nice merit package is highly desired - it sticks for all four years as long as you maintain a manageable GPA. Outside of the top 5 conferences athletic awards are not guaranteed and are subject to review each year. Quit or get cut and you may be struggling to pay for college. Coaches have dozens of players to chose from for each spot. If they're worried you might struggle academically you better be a stud to overcome that.
      Also very true. Most people who post in threads like this are actually not willing to hear REAL advice. They want other , unqualified people to post experiences that they can relate to so they can justify doing the same thing.

- Be realistic about your kids goals and your financial ability to indulge them
      - take advice from qualified people
      - keep your focus on academics

It is very easy to draw a decision tree for parents. i will make a siimple start..

1. can you afford College without assistance Y or N , if Y ...go to if N go to 2.
      2. will academics or financial aid get you the $$ you need Y or N , if Y ...if N go to 3

3. soccer plan

- work on your game
      - keep up your grades and do your SAT ACT as quickly as is practically possible
      - get as much real exposure as you can by writing letter, calling coaches and keeping a log of all the feedback you get.
      - do not waste money on mass ID camps
      - love the schools that show you love

it not that hard unless you fall into the trap of thinking everyone will succeed.

i ignored the non soccer pathways only because they are BY FAR the best ones and tbh, the ones you should focus your time and real energy on.

Comment

i call BS on this. the poster just does not have the same experience as you. that does not equal nothing to offer. none of these posts are really sharing anything. They are people trying to show you how in the know they are. This ....

I see a lot of families that get sucked into commitment being the "next step" on the club soccer treadmill. They do it because others are. Your situation is unique and you should be clear about that. people calling me names or saying its negative are wrong. its so unique to you that other than pretty obvious stuff, there is no advice i can really give you other than know your child and plan accordingly. The best advice would actually be save enough $$ to make soccer a non issue.

Just keeping it real.

..is the most informative thing posted so far.

ok. thanks....anyone not trolling this thread care to share their unique stories or plans for their players future? just because peoples' situations are unique, doesn't mean the paths don't sometimes cross at points in the journey.

Comment

Can invites to ID2 events, or NTCs, or PDP ID events, etc. be useful in the recruiting process and if so, how does a player best make use of them?

Comment

100% true. Other questions college coaches ask about are the parents, kids work ethic, is he/she a good kid that gets along with teammates.

Comment

Can invites to ID2 events, or NTCs, or PDP ID events, etc. be useful in the recruiting process and if so, how does a player best make use of them?
              Yes. Anything that helps an "above average player" stand out from the hundreds of other "above average players", is useful and should be mentioned in their bio, introduction letter or when filling out the prospective athlete questionnaire for the select school. If you're planning on making a highlight reel of sorts, you can include some video/photos from certain events and include the text of the event down in the lower third.

Comment

Yes. Anything that helps an "above average player" stand out from the hundreds of other "above average players", is useful and should be mentioned in their bio, introduction letter or when filling out the prospective athlete questionnaire for the select school. If you're planning on making a highlight reel of sorts, you can include some video/photos from certain events and include the text of the event down in the lower third.
                Please dont buy into this "above average" nonsense. your player is what the schools who are interested in her perceive her to be. all this depends on the pond you are fishing in, but most schools do not want highlight reels. they want to watch games in person or full games from high vantage points. almost any school worth playing soccer at is going to see the player in person. 15 mins of in person watching trumps any highlight reel.

Comment

when your player contacts coaches (and remember, they have to do the work, not you) they should have a very brief bio that would include information on any such invites, accolades, etc. Also include a very short highlight video, preferably no more than 2 minutes long.

Comment

when your player contacts coaches (and remember, they have to do the work, not you) they should have a very brief bio that would include information on any such invites, accolades, etc. Also include a very short highlight video, preferably no more than 2 minutes long.

my experience says this is not correct.

Comment

Please dont buy into this "above average" nonsense. your player is what the schools who are interested in her perceive her to be. all this depends on the pond you are fishing in, but most schools do not want highlight reels. they want to watch games in person or full games from high vantage points. almost any school worth playing soccer at is going to see the player in person. 15 mins of in person watching trumps any highlight reel.
                      Some schools watch them to help them reduce their list (or their assistants do) and others don't. There's no harm in including it but don't make it more than 2 minutes and don't waste your time on fancy graphics. Don't hire someone to do it professionally. Your kid can splice something together easily on any laptop.

Even when coaches can see you play at a showcase they can't stay for long (they have a list of players to see). Many times they'll want to see you on campus so they can see you for a longer period and get to know you more, see how you interact with others etc. It's also time for your player to do the same - watch the coaching staff, hopefully meet players currently on the team.

Comment

my experience says this is not correct.
                        and mine says the opposite, along with discussion with multiple college coaches inside and outside my kids' recruiting processes. No harm in including it and it might be beneficial.

Comment

Some schools watch them to help them reduce their list (or their assistants do) and others don't. There's no harm in including it but don't make it more than 2 minutes and don't waste your time on fancy graphics. Don't hire someone to do it professionally. Your kid can splice something together easily on any laptop.

Even when coaches can see you play at a showcase they can't stay for long (they have a list of players to see). Many times they'll want to see you on campus so they can see you for a longer period and get to know you more, see how you interact with others etc. It's also time for your player to do the same - watch the coaching staff, hopefully meet players currently on the team.
                          most ID visits are a money grab. buyer beware

Comment

and mine says the opposite, along with discussion with multiple college coaches inside and outside my kids' recruiting processes. No harm in including it and it might be beneficial.
                            what level of coach? who? give us an idea of the level you are talking about ? Thats real information - multiple college coaches is not

Comment

Okay, so if you have a kid who plays on a mid-level ECNL team, she shouldn't include any accolades or invites she's received to id2 or NTC or PDP events or events she has attended?And definitely don't send any film to coaches, right? Just send a generic email like all the other kids that didn't get identified by various outlets and cross your fingers that the coach (because he likes your name or something) decides to come see you for a whooping 15 minutes at some showcase and says-yep, that's the player I want!

Seriously just STFU...

Comment

Okay, so if you have a kid who plays on a mid-level ECNL team, she shouldn't include any accolades or invites she's received to id2 or NTC or PDP events or events she has attended?And definitely don't send any film to coaches, right? Just send a generic email like all the other kids that didn't get identified by various outlets and cross your fingers that the coach (because he likes your name or something) decides to come see you for a whooping 15 minutes at some showcase and says-yep, that's the player I want!

Seriously just STFU...
                                Thank you. This is not just a soccer thing - highlight videos are submitted to colleges for types of sports. Of course a team with connections is going to get a good school to come out and see their star(s), but there are hundred of thousands of kids out there all trying to make it to the next level. Even the most famous of athletes have youth film that you an research online.

I agree the videos should be short and not include any fancy editing. But as another poster mentioned how would a mid-level player who's not the star of some huge club get seen if they don't showcase themselves with highlight videos?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X