Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I agree in D1 it doesn't happen often but close to 30 happens plenty.

https://butlersports.com/roster.aspx?path=wsoc
    https://fightingillini.com/roster.aspx?path=wsoc
    https://wvusports.com/roster.aspx?path=wsoc

I've seen some crazy huge D2 and D3 rosters - D3 makes some sense as it doesn't really cost the coach much of anything to carry some extra practice players
    Huh? Why does it cost more at the d1 level? D3 still travels, so you have to pay for rooms, meals, etc, just like d1.

If you are saying because of the scholarship money, not all 30 of those kids are getting scholarships. You kid must have played at Yankee and listened to thier recruiting pitch. The one where everyone gets 50 percent Scholarship.

Comment

Huh? Why does it cost more at the d1 level? D3 still travels, so you have to pay for rooms, meals, etc, just like d1.

If you are saying because of the scholarship money, not all 30 of those kids are getting scholarships. You kid must have played at Yankee and listened to thier recruiting pitch. The one where everyone gets 50 percent Scholarship.
      Some programs will dole out some token dollars, others will give none. Whole teams often don't travel, just 20-22 or so.

Comment

I learned today that several upperclassmen players from very good club teams were cut to add track athletes. My daughter told me the coach values straight line speed over actual soccer skills. Kick the ball randomly down field and let the track stars go get it. Unfortunately, when they get it, they aren't supposed to hurdle it, but kick it in the goal. High school soccer is the worst the sport has to offer.

Comment

Not that poster but he may have been referring to seniors - some coaches let them stay on the squad even though they know won't play. If the kids weren't happy with that arrangement they wouldn't stay. But they do stay because they still are practicing and involved with the team - even more fun if the team goes far in states - and they get to put a varsity sport down on their college applications. The role of HS sports isn't just about the quality of play but school spirit, keeping kids active and out of trouble etc. Club soccer elitists can enjoy HS soccer more if they accept that reality and stop thinking of HS as an extension of club soccer.

The kids know who is good. If the coach is decent and really only plays the most qualified players, then kids respect that. The trouble starts when when politics or azz kissing gets underserving players on the field. Players get discouraged, parents get irritated, AD's office gets inundated with more complaints than usual.
          Or when soccer players get cut in favor of track athletes. Another problem is coaches trying to be friends with certain players including discussing personal issues with them. No place in high school for that. Coaches are supposed to coach all the kids, not be their soulmates to their favorites.

My kid's team has both of these situations.

Comment

Or when soccer players get cut in favor of track athletes. Another problem is coaches trying to be friends with certain players including discussing personal issues with them. No place in high school for that. Coaches are supposed to coach all the kids, not be their soulmates to their favorites.

My kid's team has both of these situations.
            Ours couldn't care less - all business

Comment

Some programs will dole out some token dollars, others will give none. Whole teams often don't travel, just 20-22 or so.
              D3 they all do, at least on my kids team.

Comment

I learned today that several upperclassmen players from very good club teams were cut to add track athletes. My daughter told me the coach values straight line speed over actual soccer skills. Kick the ball randomly down field and let the track stars go get it. Unfortunately, when they get it, they aren't supposed to hurdle it, but kick it in the goal. High school soccer is the worst the sport has to offer.
                Stop your whining you little b!t3h

Comment

Sounds like the club players did not pass the fitness test...

Comment

Bet your coach is the stereo-typed history teacher? Bigger/better programs have club coaches and it shows in their roster selections and performance. That said, there's plenty of boot-it-top to the fast kid in HS soccer and it can be work. Frankly I wish ours would play one of our super-fast Lax studs up top more - her foot skills are decent enough (played travel and some club pre HS), but she's also tough as nails and doesn't get pushed around. One of the "club" players the coach keeps up there is a waif and constantly gets pushed off the ball.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X