Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The ECNL crowd is going to gang on to their college placement superiority until they can't. Which will happen. Like soon. DA will turn out the best placements because it'll turn out the best players. Move on.
    Give it a rest man. Do a small amount of research and come back here when you are done. DA is light years behind ECNL in CT. Take a look at Top Drawer and look at the commitment list. It's not close. Even in 2020 (yes 10th graders) CFCU has already done more than OW will do in year including a kid to UConn who has a coach with kids at Oakwood.

You can post all the nonsense you want here but OW is in a fight for 3rd place on the girls side. Fact.

Comment

You have no idea how much athletic money any of these kids got. To say my daughter got a 75% ride to Iona with 65% merit and 10% athletic money indicates to me that the value the club had was negligible. Without meaningful numbers, your list is not very valuable.
      Totally disagree. You fail to understand that money isn't what drives the train. Most soccer families are middle to upper class for whom education matters more. The real and/or perceived advantage is that kids get into better schools than they would without soccer. Getting some money is gravy. Not only is athletic money not verifiable, neither is financial aid or merit money - all three are often combined to give players very nice packages than with just athletic money. At least roster verification and playing time can be verified.

Comment

Give it a rest man. Do a small amount of research and come back here when you are done. DA is light years behind ECNL in CT. Take a look at Top Drawer and look at the commitment list. It's not close. Even in 2020 (yes 10th graders) CFCU has already done more than OW will do in year including a kid to UConn who has a coach with kids at Oakwood.

You can post all the nonsense you want here but OW is in a fight for 3rd place on the girls side. Fact.
        Not the op and I agree that in CT with OW the only game in town GDA will go nowhere. It barely goes anywhere with BDA. In other parts of the country, especially out in CA, it's a different animal. College coaches will have to split their shopping trips between leagues, just as they did before between ECNL and NPL or other leagues before this year. then in a few years of mediocre results and poor NT performance, USSF will create a new and improved league

Comment

Not the op and I agree that in CT with OW the only game in town GDA will go nowhere. It barely goes anywhere with BDA. In other parts of the country, especially out in CA, it's a different animal. College coaches will have to split their shopping trips between leagues, just as they did before between ECNL and NPL or other leagues before this year. then in a few years of mediocre results and poor NT performance, USSF will create a new and improved league
          The only place where this hurts CFC is that USSF is run by lesbian tyrants and they will schedule on the same weekends at ECNL. This hurts the colleges and of course the players. The kids playing in the GDA and ECNL events in April all suffer as result of this as the coaches will be split between two events.

Comment

Totally disagree. You fail to understand that money isn't what drives the train. Most soccer families are middle to upper class for whom education matters more. The real and/or perceived advantage is that kids get into better schools than they would without soccer. Getting some money is gravy. Not only is athletic money not verifiable, neither is financial aid or merit money - all three are often combined to give players very nice packages than with just athletic money. At least roster verification and playing time can be verified.
            Totally agree with this response. In CT, girls club soccer is an upper income affair. I know that at least two of this year's CFC class turned down various scholarships from D1 schools and elected to go to an Ivy league school because it was about the the education for those families, not the money. Did soccer help them get in, yes. Otherwise they were just another run-of-the-mill, intelligent, CT-girl with great test scores lumped into a pool of thousands of those each year applying to the Ivies.

Comment

Here's a simplistic view. Hartford seems to be a favorite OW School. UHA's target is jewish kids from Long Island that underperform in the classroom. If you've ever been there you would know that this is 100% accurate.

A female from CT with 1200 + on SAT and a solid GPA is easily getting 20K a year in academics and with soccer its even better.

Its a great deal except that your degree comes from UHA.

Comment

Here's a simplistic view. Hartford seems to be a favorite OW School. UHA's target is jewish kids from Long Island that underperform in the classroom. If you've ever been there you would know that this is 100% accurate.

A female from CT with 1200 + on SAT and a solid GPA is easily getting 20K a year in academics and with soccer its even better.

Its a great deal except that your degree comes from UHA.
                Exactly. So most rationale people would rather get a smaller merit package and even no athletic money to go to play at a stronger school, even it that means a top D3. Yes the money is nice, but in the case of soccer and the average family income it isn't the primary driver.

Comment

The only place where this hurts CFC is that USSF is run by lesbian tyrants and they will schedule on the same weekends at ECNL. This hurts the colleges and of course the players. The kids playing in the GDA and ECNL events in April all suffer as result of this as the coaches will be split between two events.
                  Yes it is a very petty move by USSF to do that but they're clearly running a business and out to crush ECNL. I can't imagine college coaches are too happy about it. USSF seems to forget they're a customer as well.

Comment

Exactly. So most rationale people would rather get a smaller merit package and even no athletic money to go to play at a stronger school, even it that means a top D3. Yes the money is nice, but in the case of soccer and the average family income it isn't the primary driver.
                    Agree. That's the case for most families. They'll draw the line at schools like Marist or Fairfield but will otherwise just have their kids go to strong D3s. The academic sacrifice for schools like CCSU and UHA simply isn't worth the small economic trade off.

Comment

Totally agree with this response. In CT, girls club soccer is an upper income affair. I know that at least two of this year's CFC class turned down various scholarships from D1 schools and elected to go to an Ivy league school because it was about the the education for those families, not the money. Did soccer help them get in, yes. Otherwise they were just another run-of-the-mill, intelligent, CT-girl with great test scores lumped into a pool of thousands of those each year applying to the Ivies.
                      Given the choice between 50% of athletic money at a decent school and 0% at an Ivy, I am not so sure. Even if this is true, the kids going to Ivies are, for the most part, getting there because they are also very strong academically. I get there are some TIPS at play here, but you simply cant quantify in any way how much a club or soccer impacted a kids overall financial package ...... even at a D3. It seems to me, as if you give more credit for a kid that goes to UCONN on a 25% scholarship (which is worth < $7.5k/year) vs a kid that got 65% to go to a D3 like U of Chicago or Carnegie Mellon. Uconn offers little else for merit, so that total package might be $10,000 of $30,000 while 60% tuition at Chicago or Carnegie would leave the parents with only an additional $8k per year to pay. IDK, your metrics are hardly scientific. I would take Chicago or Mellon and $8K over UCONN every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Comment

Given the choice between 50% of athletic money at a decent school and 0% at an Ivy, I am not so sure. Even if this is true, the kids going to Ivies are, for the most part, getting there because they are also very strong academically. I get there are some TIPS at play here, but you simply cant quantify in any way how much a club or soccer impacted a kids overall financial package ...... even at a D3. It seems to me, as if you give more credit for a kid that goes to UCONN on a 25% scholarship (which is worth < $7.5k/year) vs a kid that got 65% to go to a D3 like U of Chicago or Carnegie Mellon. Uconn offers little else for merit, so that total package might be $10,000 of $30,000 while 60% tuition at Chicago or Carnegie would leave the parents with only an additional $8k per year to pay. IDK, your metrics are hardly scientific. I would take Chicago or Mellon and $8K over UCONN every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
                        I agree but not everyone values the education.

My only flaw with your logic is that many/if not most of the top tier D3 academic schools offer NO academic or merit money.

That means the upper middle class family (250K) household income basically gets the privelge of dropping 70K for Chicago, Williams, Amherst, Middlebury etc.

Those folks make a nice living but full freight at those schools really doesn't make a ton of sense.

I guess the difference is that a kid considering Middlebury or Amherst probably isn't bothering to look at Hartford or QU so it isn't apples to apples.

Comment

This is a ludicrous statement. A Soccer club can only be measured in how it improves you as a soccer player. if we are talking education, then lets compare schools, not soccer. The p[layer you describe sounds like the team GPA improver. The credit for that should go to the school teachers.

Comment

Agree. That's the case for most families. They'll draw the line at schools like Marist or Fairfield but will otherwise just have their kids go to strong D3s. The academic sacrifice for schools like CCSU and UHA simply isn't worth the small economic trade off.
                            Dont mean to be rude, but if Marist and Fairfield are the doors soccer is opening for you, you probably an average soccer player .

if you told me these CT clubs were developing the sort of talent that Stanford or Duke wanted on a consitent basis, then Ok. But you arent.

Comment

This is a ludicrous statement. A Soccer club can only be measured in how it improves you as a soccer player. if we are talking education, then lets compare schools, not soccer. The p[layer you describe sounds like the team GPA improver. The credit for that should go to the school teachers.
                              You're looking at it logically. Most soccer families don't look at it that way.

Comment

There are plenty of kids at all clubs that come out as middle of the road palyers after years of training, same goes for schools
                                If a kid excels at one or both the kid should get the credit

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X