Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You don't need a vote to see that someone can't defend themselves any longer in a fight.
    You also don't need much training to see that the other fighter is already unconcious or his hands are no longer up to defend himself while he/her is taking repeated blows...You don't need discretion to stop a fight...It is evident and the referees do the right thing to protect the fighters.
    Of course they do the right thing to protect the fighters. But there have been boxing matches where the ref has stopped a fight before anyone was unconscious (and really most refs will stop the fight before someone becomes unconscious). It is absolutely discretion on the part of the ref to decide whether a fighter has reached a point where the fight should be stopped. Sometimes its obvious, sometimes it's not. That's why it's a discretionary decision.

Comment

Why does a sport or game limited to just physical activity?.
      Because if you look up the definition of the word "Sport", it says that it "involves physical exertion and skill".

Comment

Is Soccer a game or sport? - Friendly Arguments Only

Not sure why you think your 3 criteria are the defining standard of sports, but of the three, the only one that soccer/basketball/football doesn't adhere to is #2 (it involves a ball). And then right after that, you list tennis as a sport. Go figure.

Tennis players are among the most whiney. They can't handle cheering/heckling from the fans during a match to the point where a ref will throw out a spectator for making too much noise.

Regarding Tennis I said it is unique and perhaps a hybrid of a sport...regarding tennis players its not that they cant handle cheering/heckling during a match it is the fact that they are under such a deep concentration during the match which is why its the rules of too much noise the spectator will be asked to leave. Similar to rules of talking on the T or green in golf. If your swing is off by a millimeter you can blow your shot immensely. (sounds dirty i know) :) Tennis is perhaps the most mentally exhausting sport there is since the player has to be mentally strong for all sets in a match that can last for about 3 hrs on average.

In any activity (sport or game) if you are the bigger, stronger, faster athlete... but if your will breaks...you are done. We will probably see this happen this weekend. (hopefully not our kids team). :)

Comment

Regarding Tennis I said it is unique and perhaps a hybrid of a sport...regarding tennis players its not that they cant handle cheering/heckling during a match it is the fact that they are under such a deep concentration during the match which is why its the rules of too much noise the spectator will be asked to leave. Similar to rules of talking on the T or green in golf. If your swing is off by a millimeter you can blow your shot immensely. (sounds dirty i know) :) Tennis is perhaps the most mentally exhausting sport there is since the player has to be mentally strong for all sets in a match that can last for about 3 hrs on average.

In any activity (sport or game) if you are the bigger, stronger, faster athlete... but if your will breaks...you are done. We will probably see this happen this weekend. (hopefully not our kids team). :)
          I played tennis in high school and college, and I think the noise rules are compete bs. There is no more “deep concentration” needed in tennis than there is in shooting free throws in basketball or pitching in baseball. And if you are an athlete who can’t tune out the crowd noise, then you are mentally weak.

Comment

I played tennis in high school and college, and I think the noise rules are compete bs. There is no more “deep concentration” needed in tennis than there is in shooting free throws in basketball or pitching in baseball. And if you are an athlete who can’t tune out the crowd noise, then you are mentally weak.

HS and College? amateur Leagues boy....when you have competed for your country overseas...then, perhaps you can talk about mental toughness.

Comment

I played HS & Div 1 tennis for Syracuse and I've played all over the country. (my kids play a little but mostly soccer for susa).
              There are virtually no crowds for hs tennis and including d1 tennis unfortunately.

Comment

Because if you look up the definition of the word "Sport", it says that it "involves physical exertion and skill".
                so does sex!!!...let the games begin!!! :)

Comment

Not sure I understand the game here are we supposed to make up our own definition of a sport (like the three criteria thing) or use the actual definition? (Oxford Dictionary defines sport as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or a team competes against another or others for entertainment".)

So to play along I guess I can make up my own three criteria:
                  1) All participants must wear tye-dye uniforms.
                  2) A field of play must be defined and neither Mollusks or Tofu can mark the boundary
                  3) People or Livestock must stand outside the boundary of the participants.

Based upon the criteria of a sport as now listed above on the internet (which makes it official) , soccer is not a sport as all participants are not wearing tie-dye.

Comment

Not sure I understand the game here are we supposed to make up our own definition of a sport (like the three criteria thing) or use the actual definition? (Oxford Dictionary defines sport as "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or a team competes against another or others for entertainment".)

So to play along I guess I can make up my own three criteria:
                    1) All participants must wear tye-dye uniforms.
                    2) A field of play must be defined and neither Mollusks or Tofu can mark the boundary
                    3) People or Livestock must stand outside the boundary of the participants.

Based upon the criteria of a sport as now listed above on the internet (which makes it official) , soccer is not a sport as all participants are not wearing tie-dye.
                    This is good....Perhaps someone else...a few posts back has it right...soccer is a GORT.

Comment

This was interesting to post on until the OP decided to liken him or herself to "Galileo . . . "? Who wants to "spar" with someone with a God complex, could just poke the person once in a while to make them dance, but no real exchange of ideas will ever occur, so why bother.

Comment

I played HS & Div 1 tennis for Syracuse and I've played all over the country. (my kids play a little but mostly soccer for susa).
                        There are virtually no crowds for hs tennis and including d1 tennis unfortunately.
                        Would crowd noise bother you?

Comment

Would crowd noise bother you?

Yes, i did not mention my opening round of the us open 13 years ago...You try concentrating when theres 100s of people (I'm not serena :) ) and you have $$$ on the line.

Its not the noise per say that can break you...its the multiple sound wave lengths traveling that effects you (similar to being in a room full of people talking, radio playing and you are trying to pay attention to the TV). Its extremely difficult to stay focused.

Comment

Yes, i did not mention my opening round of the us open 13 years ago...You try concentrating when theres 100s of people (I'm not serena :) ) and you have $$$ on the line.

Its not the noise per say that can break you...its the multiple sound wave lengths traveling that effects you (similar to being in a room full of people talking, radio playing and you are trying to pay attention to the TV). Its extremely difficult to stay focused.
                            Wuss.

Comment

-
                              I used to compete at Asteroids when in college, and the bar noise didn't bother me much but it was annoying when somebody would brush past me. As long as noise is consistent you would think people would get used to it. The silence at golf tournaments is ridiculous. The golfers are too pampered.

Comment

-
                                I used to compete at Asteroids when in college, and the bar noise didn't bother me much but it was annoying when somebody would brush past me. As long as noise is consistent you would think people would get used to it. The silence at golf tournaments is ridiculous. The golfers are too pampered.

I think happy gilmore would agree with you....but not chubbs!!! :)

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X