Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The truth is it takes both a combination of athletic ability and technical skill to truly excel at the next level and as players get older. Can't do it without both. It is what it is. So I guess the idea is that you can train a good athlete the technical but you probably can't make a technical player athletic, if they don't have it.
    I would imagine the smaller kids can be just as athletic as the taller ones, and they only difference then is the height and weight, and in some instances the smaller one is truly just as athletic, more skilled, but if the size doesn't match up to the bigger kids, they often times get overlooked. I think some are missing the point that smaller doesn't mean slow and clumsy, it just means they are actually smaller, but still athletic, quick (quicker often times). I've been around youth soccer to know it doesn't mean the small kid should play lawn darts, it just means they need to stick to it, not give up, even though they are overlooked because of size. If the smaller ones don't get discouraged, and give up after few years of being under appreciated, they actually can turn out to be great players. Also, if you have 2 athletic kids, one short, one tall, the tall one relying on size to dominate until about 13, not skill, the short one relying on skill, also using athleticism, the tall one will have a much harder time learning foot skill and technique once a teenager. Ball skills are difficult to master once a teenager, but if you practiced it a lot as pre-teen, the foundation is much better. That is the one with the better chance of success in my opinion.

Comment

yes GB and CM can spoon each other nightly
      I don’t think the powers to be realize how bad GB is for their organization.

Comment

I would imagine the smaller kids can be just as athletic as the taller ones, and they only difference then is the height and weight, and in some instances the smaller one is truly just as athletic, more skilled, but if the size doesn't match up to the bigger kids, they often times get overlooked. I think some are missing the point that smaller doesn't mean slow and clumsy, it just means they are actually smaller, but still athletic, quick (quicker often times). I've been around youth soccer to know it doesn't mean the small kid should play lawn darts, it just means they need to stick to it, not give up, even though they are overlooked because of size. If the smaller ones don't get discouraged, and give up after few years of being under appreciated, they actually can turn out to be great players. Also, if you have 2 athletic kids, one short, one tall, the tall one relying on size to dominate until about 13, not skill, the short one relying on skill, also using athleticism, the tall one will have a much harder time learning foot skill and technique once a teenager. Ball skills are difficult to master once a teenager, but if you practiced it a lot as pre-teen, the foundation is much better. That is the one with the better chance of success in my opinion.

Quite often the smaller kids are late bloomers and catch up a bit on the height side. They end up being the better all around player, but unfortunately some of these coaches will keep the big kid that was effective 2-3 years ago, hoping for that one chance they can score, while the better player is Pidgeon holed into coming off the bench or being subbed out. The better kid goes off to College and has a good experience, the one demensional big kid goes to college and transfers or quits playing all together.

Comment

I don’t think the powers to be realize how bad GB is for their organization.
          I hear he is a good Coach. How is his 00/01 ECNL boys team going to do this year?

Comment

Quite often the smaller kids are late bloomers and catch up a bit on the height side. They end up being the better all around player, but unfortunately some of these coaches will keep the big kid that was effective 2-3 years ago, hoping for that one chance they can score, while the better player is Pidgeon holed into coming off the bench or being subbed out. The better kid goes off to College and has a good experience, the one demensional big kid goes to college and transfers or quits playing all together.
            FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup - Finals tomorrow.

England vs. France for 3rd Place and these 2 teams are loaded with tall, athletic, very good players.

However, Japan vs. Spain for the Championship. Japan and Spain teams have mosty shorter, quicker, smaller players.

The difference was so striking that when I watched Japan beat England, England had a defender that was almost a foot taller than her mark! And Japan carved them up....

Comment

England vs. France for 3rd Place and these 2 teams are loaded with tall, athletic, very good players.

However, Japan vs. Spain for the Championship. Japan and Spain teams have mosty shorter, quicker, smaller players.

The difference was so striking that when I watched Japan beat England, England had a defender that was almost a foot taller than her mark! And Japan carved them up....
              A really strong core and flexibility are so important. The ability to dribble in close quarters and use feints/quick change of directions. That should be the focus.

Of course along with first touch and constantly checking shoulders and analysis of where everyone's at along with awareness of the space

It's not flipping rocket science. American parents have allowed brits no longer wanted in their youth set ups at home to take control of our clubs and sabotage player development

Comment

Out of 10 elite players, 1 is small, 5 are average, and 4 are larger. Anything is possible.

Comment

Little vindication for US?

1-0 loss to Japan, close game
                  2-2 tie to Spain

Knocked out at group stage

Comment

Little vindication for US?

1-0 loss to Japan, close game
                    2-2 tie to Spain

Knocked out at group stage
                    Did not watch either game, but based on what someone said earlier, and in looking at the National Team squads for each nation, Japan and Spain possess, are highly skilled, and have enormous soccer IQ, as that is something those nations look for in their players. We like strong, athletic, fast, with enough skill to make us competitive. The high soccer IQ and athletic enough will get trumped by the strong, athletic, fast, soccer IQ enough player. That is where we fail. You have to have a team with the majority of soccer players vs. athletes who play soccer. If you don't know the difference, that is part of the problem. We need to look at players and not get so caught up on "athletes" who can play.

Comment

Did not watch either game, but based on what someone said earlier, and in looking at the National Team squads for each nation, Japan and Spain possess, are highly skilled, and have enormous soccer IQ, as that is something those nations look for in their players. We like strong, athletic, fast, with enough skill to make us competitive. The high soccer IQ and athletic enough will get trumped by the strong, athletic, fast, soccer IQ enough player. That is where we fail. You have to have a team with the majority of soccer players vs. athletes who play soccer. If you don't know the difference, that is part of the problem. We need to look at players and not get so caught up on "athletes" who can play.
                      Having had my child in both small and large clubs in FL, I have noticed that the small clubs seem to have less pressure to win, and do try and identify those with soccer talent, not just physical traits (such as size). These clubs try and develop their skilled players, whereas I have noticed the larger clubs are under pressure to win, so as to attract more kids, so the coach can one day move on to a better position. Wins matter in these big clubs, and that is why they select the physically dominant, because at younger ages you can win with that, as skill really plays a role when the kids bodies all mature, around 14 or so, and then they are on an equal level. The problem is, by that time, so many of the smaller skilled kids have been sitting on the bench, playing on 2nd teams, that they get discouraged and leave the sport, feeling they are not good enough. It's the culture of "win now" that is hurting youth soccer. Those in charge need to make a fundamental change to how they identify, develop talent, understanding wins will come, maybe just not immediately.

Comment

I hear he is a good Coach. How is his 00/01 ECNL boys team going to do this year?
                        Descent trainer for u8-u12. Very poor game time coach and anything above Ecnl competition he is way out of his league. He is the best life insurance salesman the club has ever seen though!

Comment

OCYS, the greatest kick-ball club in the world! Kick long! Kick far!

Comment

Having had my child in both small and large clubs in FL, I have noticed that the small clubs seem to have less pressure to win, and do try and identify those with soccer talent, not just physical traits (such as size). These clubs try and develop their skilled players, whereas I have noticed the larger clubs are under pressure to win, so as to attract more kids, so the coach can one day move on to a better position. Wins matter in these big clubs, and that is why they select the physically dominant, because at younger ages you can win with that, as skill really plays a role when the kids bodies all mature, around 14 or so, and then they are on an equal level. The problem is, by that time, so many of the smaller skilled kids have been sitting on the bench, playing on 2nd teams, that they get discouraged and leave the sport, feeling they are not good enough. It's the culture of "win now" that is hurting youth soccer. Those in charge need to make a fundamental change to how they identify, develop talent, understanding wins will come, maybe just not immediately.
                            The problem is the parents don’t want development and losing. You have to win and develop. O matter how awesome a coach is if they lose consistently they will lose parent support. You talk a good game but the reality is we like to win. You have to change parent mentality first.

Comment

OCYS, the greatest kick-ball club in the world! Kick long! Kick far!
                              Don’t forget to kick often

Comment

yes GB and CM can spoon each other nightly
                                we’ve heard them verbally spoon but it’s in more of the literal sense these days.

Orlando City DA dropped them both like bad habits. I understand son did not make DA team at MV so they moved to Detroit Michigan for a DA program

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X