Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    It’s no longer just COVID-19 now. I would now add the Supreme Court situation, which will change women’s sports. There is a good chance women’s college soccer programs will get cut, especially SEC and Big 12 programs.
    Oh jesuz. What syndrome have you contracted now? You really think that the death of a single associate justice of the supreme court is going to have any effect on your daily life? That one person's passing on is somehow going to eliminate all female soccer programs for 20 major universities. I will bet my entire net worth that you have zero knowledge of even a single case that Justice Ginsburg wrote an opinion on.

What a moron. My gosh.

Comment

Oh jesuz. What syndrome have you contracted now? You really think that the death of a single associate justice of the supreme court is going to have any effect on your daily life? That one person's passing on is somehow going to eliminate all female soccer programs for 20 major universities. I will bet my entire net worth that you have zero knowledge of even a single case that Justice Ginsburg wrote an opinion on.

What a moron. My gosh.
      I believe the moron has a point, and that you are uninformed. Republicans have been going after Title IX since the 1980’s. To simplify, SEC and Big-12 schools don’t want to have to pay for women’s sports, especially women’s soccer, which is costly. Take away Title IX, and these schools no longer need to support women’s sports.

Comment

I believe the moron has a point, and that you are uninformed. Republicans have been going after Title IX since the 1980’s. To simplify, SEC and Big-12 schools don’t want to have to pay for women’s sports, especially women’s soccer, which is costly. Take away Title IX, and these schools no longer need to support women’s sports.
        I got a better idea how about no women go to football games in those conference that won't support Title IX or women sports? See how quick that would last.

Comment

Title 9 is 100% a goner if Republicans stay in power. Like you said, they’ve been trying to kill it forever. The colleges can always have club sports for girls though. Get ready for big changes. High school sports too. No title 9 changes everything.

Comment

OP here. So what I am hearing is that all 25 players share the 9.9 each year. So if 3 senior, 3 juniors, 3 sophmore had full rides (which you're saying is not normal) there would only be 1 available to the freshmen class. So I can see how a coach really has to manage it to know they always have a certain amount each year for new players.
            New question: your daughter was 50% freshman year 75% junior. Can the opposite be true ? give you 50% freshman year but then decide to cut it to 25% sophmore?

thanks in advance. this is a good conversation
            Remember some kids aren't on scholarship but they were recruited.

Also, yes a coach can reduce scholarship money for the next year. The caveat is the COVID classes. Money cant be reduced for next year if they decide not to play this year.

Money is on a year by year basis. It's not guaranteed for all years. If your kid is a problem. If you as a parent are a problem. If your kid can't keep grades. If your kid just can't compete on the same level. If your kid gets injured (serious on this). If a new coach takes over. All reasons why money is reduced or taken.

Comment

Not exactly on topic but perhaps someone can explain the NCAA rules regarding teams that are not playing this year. So every player gets an extra year of eligibility right?

I would imagine this will reduce the number of incoming freshman a team will pick up assuming some Sr's will stay for a 5th year?
              My kids school was aiming for 10 incoming freshman for 21-22. Any money provided to current seniors who are steaying has to be honored. Money for current juniors becoming seniors will be honored but it doesn't have to be honored the year after. So 22-23s should likely be fine but the class of 21 better be okay with coming in for no money and a likely redshirt.

Comment

That many full athletic rides are never given out, especially for men's teams. Coaches can divvy up the 9,9 any way they want and usually do. Think of it like a bell curve with most players getting partials in the middle, a1-2 getting 75%+ on one end and others getting <30% on the other. As others have said packages can be combined (with certain rules on how) to give an athletic close to a "full" but it's not all athletic. If your kid is smart go for merit $ - it sticks all four years as long as he keeps his GPA up

One group that gets large athletic grants are foreign players. They can go to school much cheaper (or even free) back home. If there's a lot of foreign players on a roster there won't be much left for anyone else. Not only do women have more scholarships per team but foreign players are much less common
                This is true, the foreign players coming in get a good portion of whatever moneys is assign for scholarships, usually 100% plus free housing, books etc

I just like to add that if the moment comes to decide between 2 players for a same position and with similar qualifications, the money will go to the one with higher academics and that’s just because the coach (and school) know that they can work in the package academic money/grants instead of reducing the athletic scholarship fund on hand.
                If your kid it’s aiming to a prestigious school, they are big in alumni and unless you are the “unicorn” player they are going to give preference to the prospect that’s requesting admission with a more complete application (grades, community service hours, other activities, talents, experiences) it’s so competitive that just coming with “a good soccer player” will not suffice.

Comment

Pulling your money

Don't kid yourself. You are only guaranteed 1 year. A coach can pull some or all of the annual athletic money if they want. Even Power 5. I have seen it happen on multiple occasions.

A common solution is to simply never play them so they quit in frustration, or transfer. Problem solved. A four year athletic scholarship is guaranteed with the Power 5 conferences but nowhere else. You're right that schools don't want to get a reputation for pulling back $ but they absolutely can legally. Unless in a Power 5 your contract is generally year to year. If you leave the team but stay at the school then the $ is gone also.

Comment

There are bigger issues than Title 9

Title 9 is the last thing that anybody should worry about. It is here to stay.
                    The never ending "shutdown crowd" is putting the future of women's college sports in dire straits. Lets break this down for a second. The "money-making sports" need to play in order to fund the entire college athletic programs. So if the "shutdown crowd" gets its way then you will see the "money-making sports" stop playing which means the money dries up leading to all of the "non money-making sports" being shuttered first.

Title 9 is 100% a goner if Republicans stay in power. Like you said, they’ve been trying to kill it forever. The colleges can always have club sports for girls though. Get ready for big changes. High school sports too. No title 9 changes everything.

Comment

The impact of Covid on the next 4 recruiting classes

Everybody thinks that its the 2021 class that is mostly affected. Keep in mind that the next 4 recruiting classes have competition from all of the current freshman through senior college classes. On top of that let's look at the numbers of potential programs folding due to the "shutdown crowd". There are approximately 350 Division One women's soccer programs. If the funds run dry and only 25 programs get cut then the transfer portal will be overwhelmed with available players. The average program carry's 25 players. Assuming only 20 players decide to continue playing from each school that would immediately add an additional 500 players to the transfer portal. In addition each incoming class for the next 4 years will also be "competing" with 5th year seniors. Now are you still going to support the "shutdown crowd"??

Comment

Impact on Coaches

I hate to break it to you but a huge majority of Women's soccer coaches are not exactly a dream to play for. So let's examine the potential impact on the coaching staffs of 25 programs folding. I know that you are thinking that "this won't affect my daughter", but think again. The soccer coach cares about one thing and one thing only.... Preserving their jobs! So everything people have been saying about "benching players" etc is true. But it's worse than that. A coach needs to "win" in order to keep their jobs. Winning means running the best players into the ground, making the weaker players quit so that the money is freed up, packing the box in order to "preserve a lead", and generally playing crappy soccer. Many other techniques are used in order to drive out players such as "ignoring them", "isolating them", "dividing them" etc, etc. Now you will lose 25 programs which means 75 coaches are soon to be on the market so THEY REALLY NEED TO WIN!! Which means even more bad behavior, and crappy soccer!

Comment

I hate to break it to you but a huge majority of Women's soccer coaches are not exactly a dream to play for. So let's examine the potential impact on the coaching staffs of 25 programs folding. I know that you are thinking that "this won't affect my daughter", but think again. The soccer coach cares about one thing and one thing only.... Preserving their jobs! So everything people have been saying about "benching players" etc is true. But it's worse than that. A coach needs to "win" in order to keep their jobs. Winning means running the best players into the ground, making the weaker players quit so that the money is freed up, packing the box in order to "preserve a lead", and generally playing crappy soccer. Many other techniques are used in order to drive out players such as "ignoring them", "isolating them", "dividing them" etc, etc. Now you will lose 25 programs which means 75 coaches are soon to be on the market so THEY REALLY NEED TO WIN!! Which means even more bad behavior, and crappy soccer!
                          Not surprised. What you are accounting makes sense. I don’t doubt that there is coaches out them that are truly passionate for the sport But yes, it is a job just like any other one she success is measure by wins.

Comment

This is true, the foreign players coming in get a good portion of whatever moneys is assign for scholarships, usually 100% plus free housing, books etc

I just like to add that if the moment comes to decide between 2 players for a same position and with similar qualifications, the money will go to the one with higher academics and that’s just because the coach (and school) know that they can work in the package academic money/grants instead of reducing the athletic scholarship fund on hand.
                            If your kid it’s aiming to a prestigious school, they are big in alumni and unless you are the “unicorn” player they are going to give preference to the prospect that’s requesting admission with a more complete application (grades, community service hours, other activities, talents, experiences) it’s so competitive that just coming with “a good soccer player” will not suffice.
                            OP here and that is true. Coaches can't constantly be pushing admits that are barely or don't even meet strict academic requirements, so they only use a few for their very top athletic picks. Any others that can get through on their own help him/her. Also, having a smarter student helps pull up the team GPA, another important consideration. There's a reason basketball teams like Duke have several bench riding white players ;)

Comment

Everybody thinks that its the 2021 class that is mostly affected. Keep in mind that the next 4 recruiting classes have competition from all of the current freshman through senior college classes. On top of that let's look at the numbers of potential programs folding due to the "shutdown crowd". There are approximately 350 Division One women's soccer programs. If the funds run dry and only 25 programs get cut then the transfer portal will be overwhelmed with available players. The average program carry's 25 players. Assuming only 20 players decide to continue playing from each school that would immediately add an additional 500 players to the transfer portal. In addition each incoming class for the next 4 years will also be "competing" with 5th year seniors. Now are you still going to support the "shutdown crowd"??
                              As of August there were over 100 NCAA teams cut, more often in D2 and D3 which makes financial sense. Those programs don't get big TV money like some (not all) big football and basketball schools do. Of all those cut not one was a women's soccer team. Two men's soccer teams were cut. Nearly all were less the "less" popular" sports like swimming, gymnastics etc.

This year as schools crunch the Covid-reality numbers, most likely more teams will get cut, but it's unlikely to be many women's soccer teams. Women's soccer is the most popular sport and is an easy way to meet title 9 requirements. However, every time a school cuts a male scholarship, they can cut a female one. So if they cut a men's hockey team, boom there's a handful of female scholarships that can go. If they decide not to fully fund the maximum allowed for football - which is 85 - then, there goes some female ones. Again, I think women's soccer will be ok. But of the 14 max a school can offer now, some could cut it down a bit.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X