Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    "A common solution is to simply never play them so they quit in frustration, or transfer. Problem solved."

This makes no sense. What program would invest the energy to recruit and sign a kid only to treat them that way? In that scenario, nobody wins.
    No. Teams make recruiting mistakes all the time. The player is not as good as they thought, or doesn’t work hard, or has an attitude problem, or doesn’t like the school. Or there is a coaching change and coach has a different style or vision.

It happens. A lot.

Comment

"A common solution is to simply never play them so they quit in frustration, or transfer. Problem solved."

This makes no sense. What program would invest the energy to recruit and sign a kid only to treat them that way? In that scenario, nobody wins.
      OP here - as another said it happens all the time. Coaches can make bad decisions and do. Also there's a lot of coach turnover. A new coach comes in and wants to get rid of many of the old picks but can't, so they just don't play them and hope they quit. Don't underestimate how often this happens. Players also make bad decisions - often times they want to the school or team so badly they overlook it really isn't the best fit for them. Sometimes players come in with a poor attitude - not ready to put in the hard work because they haven't really had to ever. D1 is practically a full time job, leaving less time for school and even less for socializing outside your team. Plenty of college athletes burn out or just want to move on to the next phase of their lives. The odds of playing all four years are not good. It's just how it goes.

Players should look over rosters at any program they're interested in. First, look at the resumes of those on the roster and those who play the most. If your player isn't as strong it's probably not going to be a good fit. But also take a good look at playing time and turnover. Does the coach ever play freshmen (a few won't)? How many freshmen make it past year 1 or year 2? How many players will be graduating soon? (that opens more spots up). Doing work up front can improve the odds of finding a good fit.

Comment

Transfers have recently brought a how new set of issues . Schools now can look to fill gaps by bringing in upperclassmen from other schools . I am not sure how much this effects soccer at the moment but I know it’s changed the way football recruits .

Comment

"Unless in a Power 5 your contract is generally year to year." Not entirely true. Our D attends a D1 private college in up north that is not Power 5 with a different arrangement.

They are one of several colleges that offer some form of the XXXXXX University "Promise." It is an agreement between the athlete's family and the University - not an agreement between the athlete's family and the college team coach.

The University will honor the terms of the financial package that is offered when recruiting the athlete for the entire 4 (5 if Red Shirt) years the athlete is at the school. Even if the situation of the player or the coaching staff changes during that 4-5 years. Example, our D's team-mate suffered a career ending concussion in a game as a Sophomore and the University is honoring the financial package for the rest of her time there.

On the flip side, if the coaching changes (the Head Coach quits or is fired and then there is a new set of coaches) the "Promise" continues in place because it is between the family and the University - not the coaches.

These "Promises" are getting more common with private Universities. Having said that, your kid needs to be a strong player "of interest" with high academics because the University is pledging $100-$160,000 over the 4-5 years (depending on the package they offer).

And your kid will earn every penny of it - it is a 12-month job.
          How common is this "XXXXX University Promise thing?" I've looked around and seen a few versions of it but not many and it is buried on web sites and seems to be primarily at more expensive, private colleges.

Comment

Transfers have recently brought a how new set of issues . Schools now can look to fill gaps by bringing in upperclassmen from other schools . I am not sure how much this effects soccer at the moment but I know it’s changed the way football recruits .
            Transfers will make a huge difference in the way D1 coaches recruit in the future .

Comment

Transfers will make a huge difference in the way D1 coaches recruit in the future .
              I disagree. You can't recruit a player while they are enrolled at another school. You have wait until they are eligible and cleared to seek a transfer before any contact can be made by either party. Coaches that are banking on transfers to build there program instead of recruiting will be unemployed in a hurry....that applies to football, basketball, soccer, or any other sport.

Comment

I disagree. You can't recruit a player while they are enrolled at another school. You have wait until they are eligible and cleared to seek a transfer before any contact can be made by either party. Coaches that are banking on transfers to build there program instead of recruiting will be unemployed in a hurry....that applies to football, basketball, soccer, or any other sport.
                I don’t know that it applies to all college sports but I thought there was a college transfer portal for athletes now that allowed coaches to directly contact players who wished to transfer .

Comment

Athletic aid is only part of the picture. Most schools can put together a "package" of various forms of aid and grants that often pays a relatively large amount of the "total cost of attendance - TCOA." TCOA includes tuition, room and board, meals, books and fees.

For instance, our daughter only received a 50% athletic scholarship her freshman year but the school combined other aid with it and it ended up paying about 80% of the TCOA. This year her Sophomore year, they increased the athletic to 75% and now it pays about 90% of TCOA. If she keeps doing well she is in line to get the full 100% of athletic here last 2 years and virtually all of TCOA will be covered.

It's not for everybody - she works very hard, 12 months a year.
                  Yes, we get it. Played in college. I KNOW. It's a college business.

Comment

Not exactly on topic but perhaps someone can explain the NCAA rules regarding teams that are not playing this year. So every player gets an extra year of eligibility right?

I would imagine this will reduce the number of incoming freshman a team will pick up assuming some Sr's will stay for a 5th year?

Comment

Not exactly on topic but perhaps someone can explain the NCAA rules regarding teams that are not playing this year. So every player gets an extra year of eligibility right?

I would imagine this will reduce the number of incoming freshman a team will pick up assuming some Sr's will stay for a 5th year?
                      "So every player gets an extra year of eligibility right?" This is basically correct. It was granted by the NCAA.

"I would imagine this will reduce the number of incoming freshman a team will pick up assuming some Sr's will stay for a 5th year?" This is to-be-determined. This would primarily apply to the incoming freshman class for the 2021-2022.

If all goes well our Sophomore daughter will elect to take the 5th year and start graduate school.

Comment

Unfortunately, some soccer programs will not survive due to financial constraints related to COVID which will further reduce the number of places available for incoming freshmen

Comment

Schools droping soccer

I know I have heard in the news some schools have dropped soccer. Any schools in Florida dropped Men's or Women's soccer programs permanently?

Comment

college soccer recruiting

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/coll...eid=9515e0ee69

Comment

In the not so distant past, girls club players committed to college early, some as young as freshman in high school. There are a lot of college programs that grab what top (or any) players they can early, and then they see how in pans out later. University of Florida has been notorious for taking this approach over the years. Sometimes these committed players are not the same players they were in 9th or 10th grade, and sometimes it was just poor evaluation by the coach. By the time some of these players get to senior year in high school or first year in college, they aren’t the player the coaching staff thought they were getting. If that player was offered money, and they are no longer wanted, college coaches will make the environment unpleasant. The happens often and is part of the culture in college athletics.

Comment

Unfortunately, some soccer programs will not survive due to financial constraints related to COVID which will further reduce the number of places available for incoming freshmen
                                It’s no longer just COVID-19 now. I would now add the Supreme Court situation, which will change women’s sports. There is a good chance women’s college soccer programs will get cut, especially SEC and Big 12 programs.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X