Hope Solo - About Time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to be kidding. If this were a male athlete that got into a fight with a female he would be crucified. You do know this is not her first domestic violence charge. I am not saying she is guilty. What I am saying is that there should be no tolerance for that behavior from anyone. Regardless of athlete, sex, or anything else. You want to give her another pass. Why. Why does she deserve another pass?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Domestic violence is different because of the dependency element where the victim has an emotional or financial relationship with the accused; for example, a spouse, significant other or a child -- not the adult child of a sibling. The case hasn't gone to trial so nobody is looking the other way and nobody has been convicted. You're simply willing to conclude she's guilty. If the words "domestic violence" hadn't been used, it's doubtful that anyone would care. The reaction would be more like "she's a knucklehead who got into another fight at a BBQ -- who cares."
      It isn't just about the DV charge. She's been a cumulative train wreck for awhile now

Comment

Agree. A male athlete would never be suspended for saying the same thing. I'm not even a big Solo fan but are you kidding me? Fired for calling the Swedes "cowards" for parking the bus. Who cares? Ridiculous. Never would happen to a male athlete.
        I 100% agree. I think that it is deplorable that the USWNT treat its athletes in a way that male athletes would never be treated. It was a fairly innocuous comment, an opinion, and I thought we had freedom of speech in this country?

Comment

The USWNT is hypocritical. I think she should have been suspended for the domestic abuse, drunken behavor, letting her husband drive the van, etc. However, the USWNT looked the other way and let her continue to play. They were ALLOWING and TOLERATING this behavior.

Using one small comment as justification to attack her now is unprofessional.

Comment

Best part of this is that she won't be playing for the Seattle Reign either. Her salary was being paid by US Soccer and that contract has been terminated. Reign can't afford to pay her so she's completely out of a job.

Comment

The USWNT is hypocritical. I think she should have been suspended for the domestic abuse, drunken behavor, letting her husband drive the van, etc. However, the USWNT looked the other way and let her continue to play. They were ALLOWING and TOLERATING this behavior.

Again it was a cumulative effect - the comment was the final straw (on top of a weak performance and age). I agree they should have taken action a long time ago. But how would her unprofessional comment final straw differ vs something else? A final straw is just that - your boss ins DONE with you, even if it is something seemingly minor. I suspect her contract and others have clauses about their conduct with the press and social media. They gave her many many chances to prove herself and she failed to do so.

“Taking into consideration the past incidents involving Hope, as well as the private conversations we’ve had requiring her to conduct herself in a manner befitting a U.S. national team member, U.S. Soccer determined this is the appropriate disciplinary action,” U.S. Soccer’s president, Sunil Gulati, said in a statement.

Comment

Best part of this is that she won't be playing for the Seattle Reign either. Her salary was being paid by US Soccer and that contract has been terminated. Reign can't afford to pay her so she's completely out of a job.
                There's always WWE or UFC

Comment

I 100% agree. I think that it is deplorable that the USWNT treat its athletes in a way that male athletes would never be treated. It was a fairly innocuous comment, an opinion, and I thought we had freedom of speech in this country?
                  Agree too. Bad karma coming to US Soccer for this totally sexist move. Just don't renew her contract and bench her in the meantime if you want to punish her.

Comment

The Karma Hope deserve is far greater

Comment

Bingo. Certainly calling the opposing team cowards is NOT a firing type of offense. Never would happen to a male athlete.
                      Truth.

Comment

That was already covered. If you think getting into a fight with a nephew who is (a) bigger than you, (b) not a dependent, and (c) at your house and doesn't live there is the same as a professional football player knocking out his girlfriend in an elevator and dragging her into the lobby is the same thing, then you're missing the point. They are different.

So yes. I've heard of him. Try again. Don't go to Adrian Peterson next. That's different too.

Some people don't get it. You keep poking someone over and over after they've told you to stop you deserve what comes at you. As far some of the other stuff that has happen outside of soccer like others have said yeah not very wise decision on her part. But she still had to bust her butt and train very hard to become the athlete that she is.

Comment

Like her or not, Solo was unjustly fired. Never would've happened to a male athlete. Pia has Sunil's ear and they want to punish Solo for equal pay demands. Mostly a completely sexist move: "We can't have lowly women we can't control down to the words that come out of their mouths". Just be pretty and bat your eyes nicely for the men -that's all they think of women.

Comment

Like her or not, Solo was unjustly fired. Never would've happened to a male athlete. Pia has Sunil's ear and they want to punish Solo for equal pay demands. Mostly a completely sexist move: "We can't have lowly women we can't control down to the words that come out of their mouths". Just be pretty and bat your eyes nicely for the men -that's all they think of women.
                            You do know she has some absolutely disgusting nude photos on the internet,don't you? Not to mention the domestic violence thing including resisting arrest, assaulting police, drunk joy riding in a company vehicle and the countless behind the scenes conversations where she was told to get her crap together or else. This was just the final straw. This has nothing to do with being a woman, it's because she's a classless human

Comment

You got your head so far up hope Solo's ass you can't even see straight. Kind of dark in there, huh?

Comment

It was a dumb decision administratively.

The comments after the game were something that you here fairly often in soccer when a better team is beaten by a weaker team that parked the bus. It's a scenario that other sports have dealt with as well (basketball put in shot clocks to deal with the 4 corners)

The problem is that it creates a terrible precedent. Fairly benign post game comments can lead to a suspension? What if the player swears at the ref on the field and is ejected? Is that worse? What if the player goes all Clint Dempsey and tears up the refs book?

What should they have done? You tell her she has to apologize. You have a press conference where she apologizes. Then she completes her NWSL season. You bring her to the friendlies left this year as a bit of a farewell tour and make a big deal about her retiring. You pay her a decent severance package and you are done. If she wants to keep playing NWSL -- great. But that will be up to the NWSL teams.

Cost the USSF an extra $150K but you retire off - in a nice and professional way -- a player who has done a great job for the team for a very long time.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X