Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    yep. That's why Vantucky players are a hot commodity for you Oreeegon folk.

We certainly don't feel bad each year when our players take a roster spot from your DD. It's inevitable.
    You should feel bad that your club is so mismanaged that you can't provide top level opportunities for them yourself.

Comment

You should feel bad that your club is so mismanaged that you can't provide top level opportunities for them yourself.
      I can't stop what the club philosophy is. They tell us every year in the first team meeting. Vantucky Timbers job is to send players to the next level. Right now the next level is the Thorns, OR ECNL, WA ECNL and the Timbers DA. They obviously do a great job of it being that their players consistently take roster spots from Oreeeegun kids. Only 4-5 take Seattle kids spots but they aren't on here complaining about their DD losing that roster spot. Seattle parents don't b!tch about losing roster spots, they are closer to normal than Oreeegun parents.

Moral of the story:

BE LIKE SEATTLE

Comment

I like to smear peanut butter on the soles of my feet. Then I slide around my living room wood floors squeeling with happy delight. Oh what fun!!
        Could be worse...

http://www.today.com/home/when-roomb...-viral-t101883

Comment

Vantucky soccer = Settlers

Comment

not the op - in response to post above I wouldn't mind paying $200+ for a good quality cleat that lasts more than a few months. The support on cleats is terrible (we put Dr Scholls in to add some cushion to them) and the cleats are shot within three months. Multiply that times multiple kids. Ouch.
            the support on futbol boot is not supposed to be great, and they aren't exactly meant to be comfortable either. they are only meant to be worn for about two hours a week (the expensive ones). i could go on, and on, but that is one reason why professional players have multiple pairs.

i always advise my parents and players to spend money on boots commensurate to age + level of play. with professional level boots, the $275 ones, only worth it if you are a professional level player. (basically when people are buying those shoes for you.) having played in college and in pro, that's the only thing i can stomach now. but since i'm playing more and more co-ed and rec, i'm just about ready to downgrade to the $150-100 level.

Comment

It may be worth checking out last seasons cleats on the big internet soccer stores. Usually after 3-4 months top of the line cleats drop 20% and after another 2-3 months another 20-30%. If you (or your child) are willing to play with 6 month old style you can save 40-60%. Occasionally there is an advancement in newer models but most often the biggest change is color.

Comment

It may be worth checking out last seasons cleats on the big internet soccer stores. Usually after 3-4 months top of the line cleats drop 20% and after another 2-3 months another 20-30%. If you (or your child) are willing to play with 6 month old style you can save 40-60%. Occasionally there is an advancement in newer models but most often the biggest change is color.
                this is what we do. both our kids like unique stuff that nobody has, so we find new pairs of shoes that were high end a couple years ago and nobody is wearing (or styles that were never sold here). sometimes need to buy them from europe, and takes some time to search, but have never paid over $100 shipped.

Comment

answer

$200 soccer shoes now would have cost $75.50 in 1981 according to the CPI index. Which is when I was 14 playing soccer. So Nothing has really changed cost wise.

The US dollar just does not have the purchasing power it use to have.

Comment

$50 25 years ago is worth $105 today

$100 25 years ago is worth $209 today.

This is based on 3% inflation, which is about the average of what we have experienced over the past 25 years.

The real question is: are the shoes better today than 25 years ago. If they are, then you are getting a better value.

Econ 101.

Go back to anonymous posting about how good your girl's team is.
                    Not sure you could have even found a $100 boot (cleat) 25 years ago?
                    There is more than simple economic inflation at work here.

Comment

this is what we do. both our kids like unique stuff that nobody has, so we find new pairs of shoes that were high end a couple years ago and nobody is wearing (or styles that were never sold here). sometimes need to buy them from europe, and takes some time to search, but have never paid over $100 shipped.
                      good call. We bring stuff in from Europe too. Also, the Adidas employee store with 50% off works well

Comment

good call. We bring stuff in from Europe too. Also, the Adidas employee store with 50% off works well
                        I've never met a player who I thought would have been better with better cleats.

Comment

I've never met a player who I thought would have been better with better cleats.
                          Then you've never met a good player, have you?

Comment

Not sure you could have even found a $100 boot (cleat) 25 years ago?
                            There is more than simple economic inflation at work here.
                            Overly literal, aren't you?

Comment

I've stopped buying cleats. They are free in college.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X