2016-17 odp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ODP used to start at older ages, there was no RTC and only one team was taken for the ODP state team. Today, RTC & ODP is a big money scam and there are many other paths to get better training. This is why most better players no longer do it

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Problem with ODP is that the coaches are terrible and there are no other highly skilled players there.

I've said it before but it bears repeating "If you need ODP for training then your club is failing you miserably".
      It's very hard to get good coaches to sign up. You don't understand how difficult it is.

Comment

It's very hard to get good coaches to sign up. You don't understand how difficult it is.
        Thats because their tired of dealing with parents every year, it gets old year after year when a coach cuts a child only to see them back with the team because mom or dad complains to the doc that they were unfair to their kid. But that's society today make everybody happy.

Comment

ODP is the same old program. RTC is just another money grab by the Timbers.

Comment

ODP is dead in Oregon

Some of the girls who made the 00/01 and 02 teams can't even make the B teams for their clubs. Timbers have destroyed ODP and made it a laughingstock, although in all fairness ECNL has made ODP pretty unnecessary nationwide.

The final nail in the coffin was most of last year's 2000 team quitting after Phoenix (wonder why...?), and then Timbers, after months of saying they would field a full team in each age group (00 and 01), pulling an about face a week before tryouts and announcing the 00's and 01's would be combined.

They seem to not realize that they are no longer the only path to getting seen by top coaches. Parents are consumers who have choices and vote with their dollars. There will always be families who will pay for the status of saying their kid is a state ODP player, but gone are the days when the ODP state teams were the best talent the state had to offer. Looking at those rosters, I don't see a single top 20 player from the 00's, 01's, or 02's.

Comment

Looking at those rosters, I don't see a single top 20 player from the 00's, 01's, or 02's.
              Tend to agree with this, although there are a couple names in there that you could argue whether they are top 20 or not. Vast majority of those players would have no chance making an ECNL or Thorns team.

Comment

Some of the girls who made the 00/01 and 02 teams can't even make the B teams for their clubs. Timbers have destroyed ODP and made it a laughingstock, although in all fairness ECNL has made ODP pretty unnecessary nationwide.

The final nail in the coffin was most of last year's 2000 team quitting after Phoenix (wonder why...?), and then Timbers, after months of saying they would field a full team in each age group (00 and 01), pulling an about face a week before tryouts and announcing the 00's and 01's would be combined.

They seem to not realize that they are no longer the only path to getting seen by top coaches. Parents are consumers who have choices and vote with their dollars. There will always be families who will pay for the status of saying their kid is a state ODP player, but gone are the days when the ODP state teams were the best talent the state had to offer. Looking at those rosters, I don't see a single top 20 player from the 00's, 01's, or 02's.
                At high school age ODP drops off significantlyrics. That isn't news or new.

Comment

It is not just the Timbers/Thorns. ODP is changing nationwide. I recall game-planning to shut down the ODP player if another team was fortunate enough to have one. Now it seems that there are 3 on every team.
                  I get the appeal. Your friends are there. You get to play on the same field as the pros. You wear the same gear they do. Just beware, the same expert marketers that are filling the seats and selling $9 beer are also aware of what to sell your kids. Carefully weigh the cost (not just monetary, but also happiness and quality of life). These are the questions I've asked myself when making the decision.
                  Is your child improving? It is relatively cheap, but what is the reason? You get what you pay for. The coach/player ratio is horrible. Do they have enough trained eyes to judge talent and improve upon it? Do the coaches have the experience and passion to allow your child to progress? Is your child excited to go? Does your child receive feedback that encourages their growth or do they leave confused with the processes, style, and their role within it?
                  Do the people you are entrusting with your child truly care for their development or are they a number? Does your child feel like they can rest an injury? Is the staff aware if they are injured? Finally, what is the best case potential benefit? If you are truly one of the best 18 players your age, you will always have a future in the game.

Comment

Problem with ODP is that the coaches are terrible and there are no other highly skilled players there.

I've said it before but it bears repeating "If you need ODP for training then your club is failing you miserably".
                    Sorry, it doesn't hurt to try something new and listen to a new voice and working with new teammates.

Comment

Looking at those rosters, I don't see a single top 20 player from the 00's, 01's, or 02's.
                      You can honestly believe your statement? Not one top 20 player?

Shouldn't tell fibs like that.

Comment

You can honestly believe your statement? Not one top 20 player?

Shouldn't tell fibs like that.
                        Maybe 1. Maybe.

Comment

Maybe 1. Maybe.
                          The thorn's are rolling the dice that combing age groups for phoenix in January will work for them. A few of them played down there the last two years but in different age group's, so that may help with the others that have never had the chance to represent their state. What I don't get is why the Thorn's would stop making small steps up the ladder in ODP the last 2yrs, finally start to win some games in a few age groups only now to split up all the talent and make weaker teams to represent Oregon.
                          Good luck too all the girl's that do get the chance to play in January.

Comment

Well if you said it, it must be true. I mean, nothing but valuable information comes from TS. Actually, the mere fact that you posted what you posted must mean it's valuable, since most of what is posted on TS is garbage.

Comment

Maybe 1. Maybe.
                              I agree. There is 1-2 talented girls in the 00/01 pool. There are 1-2 returners from the 01 group from last year and maybe 1-2 returners if lucky from the 00 group.

If you are finally making the ODP Pool at the 00/01 group you have missed the boat. 95% of the top talent did not participate in ODP. The top girls have done their time in the ODP ranks at younger ages and made the team when it was competitive. Now most of the girls have moved one and are either participating in the ECNL or Thorns Academy and only doing those.

00's last competitive year was 2 years ago, 01 was last competitive last year and 02's maybe have one more year of being quality but maybe they are done as well. 03's still competitive but that will probably start to change after this year. 04's will get to go to Phoenix for the first time and they are grooming the 05/06's all ready. Your 00-01 player should have been doing this 3-4 years ago, but now the boat has sailed.

Comment

It's been falling apart for years.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X