Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ODP/RTC a complete waste of time & money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Yes.. yes and a thousand more yes nods to this.
    So some additional touches on the ball, some coaching from a different set of coaches, practicing with a different group of players, is bad? Who says anyone does this because they need to? According to people like you, you should pick a club that you think is good and just stay there an do nothing more. No skills training, no camps, no ODP/RTC, .... the old club coach is all that one needs. Welcome to myopic thinking ladies and gentlemen. And remarks from parents who don't get it. You probably just shove your kid off the couch and take the game controller out of their hands, tell them to go to practice and when they get home they will get it back.

Comment

So some additional touches on the ball, some coaching from a different set of coaches, practicing with a different group of players, is bad? Who says anyone does this because they need to? According to people like you, you should pick a club that you think is good and just stay there an do nothing more. No skills training, no camps, no ODP/RTC, .... the old club coach is all that one needs. Welcome to myopic thinking ladies and gentlemen. And remarks from parents who don't get it. You probably just shove your kid off the couch and take the game controller out of their hands, tell them to go to practice and when they get home they will get it back.
      I'm not the OP but I don't think that's what he/she meant at all and it's definitely not the reason my kid decided not to continue on with ODP. I'm guessing you have a younger child so let me share some wisdom/life experience - some learned the hard way, and some not.

As your kid gets older, it is very important that she has a sense of balance in her life. All the hours spent touching the ball won't do her a bit of good if her high school GPA is so low colleges can't recruit her. All the dollars spent on the flavor of the month training program are flushed down the drain if your kid gets burned out or has chronic overuse injuries.

As my daughter has gotten older, we have learned to look for extra training opportunities that provide the most benefit and challenge for our dollars and her hours. She most certainly does plenty of extra training, both with older teams (boys and girls) in her club, ID camps, and private lessons. She decided that ODP wasn't worth it. It sucked up too much time driving, the pool was so big that her touches on the ball weren't what she wanted, SHE felt like the quality of coaching was poor/distracted/inattentive, and she felt like the quality of players went down every year she did it. It was an easy decision for her and we supported it because we didn't feel like it did much for her either. She even turned down regional camp the final year she did ODP, because she chose to do a tournament with her club team instead. For us that was an obvious sign she wasn't getting what she wanted out of ODP.

For younger kids, maybe RTC is still beneficial. I don't have a kid that age so I can't say.

Comment

I'm not the OP but I don't think that's what he/she meant at all and it's definitely not the reason my kid decided not to continue on with ODP. I'm guessing you have a younger child so let me share some wisdom/life experience - some learned the hard way, and some not.

As your kid gets older, it is very important that she has a sense of balance in her life. All the hours spent touching the ball won't do her a bit of good if her high school GPA is so low colleges can't recruit her. All the dollars spent on the flavor of the month training program are flushed down the drain if your kid gets burned out or has chronic overuse injuries.

As my daughter has gotten older, we have learned to look for extra training opportunities that provide the most benefit and challenge for our dollars and her hours. She most certainly does plenty of extra training, both with older teams (boys and girls) in her club, ID camps, and private lessons. She decided that ODP wasn't worth it. It sucked up too much time driving, the pool was so big that her touches on the ball weren't what she wanted, SHE felt like the quality of coaching was poor/distracted/inattentive, and she felt like the quality of players went down every year she did it. It was an easy decision for her and we supported it because we didn't feel like it did much for her either. She even turned down regional camp the final year she did ODP, because she chose to do a tournament with her club team instead. For us that was an obvious sign she wasn't getting what she wanted out of ODP.

For younger kids, maybe RTC is still beneficial. I don't have a kid that age so I can't say.
        Logical & well said.

Comment

All that would be good if the RTC/ODP training sessions were of a high quality, taught by great coaches. As they are anything but that, it's a complete waste of time, and may actually turn out to be a detriment to your kid.

Comment

Last year was awful. Complete waste of time. Is there any value anymore?
            My daughter just had her first RTC practice last Friday. She absolutely loved it!

Comment

My daughter just had her first RTC practice last Friday. She absolutely loved it!
              Must be from a Timbers Alliance or lower level club where she doesn't get any decent training.

Comment

Must be from a Timbers Alliance or lower level club where she doesn't get any decent training.
                She is working with multiple Timbers Alliance coaches at RTC. She plays club ball on the west side of the Couv.

Comment

She is working with multiple Timbers Alliance coaches at RTC. She plays club ball on the west side of the Couv.

Right on parks and rec are involved.

Comment

Says it all. Timbers Alliance coaches are almost bottom of the barrel in this area. Hope your kid is big and can kick the ball a long ways as all she'll here from them is "Send Her!!!!"

Comment

RTC is good for 10 year olds. Parent bragging rights. Kids feel special have have not been cut from the pool. But the coaching isn't great. And it's expensive. After 10 years old, there is literally no benefit. Take it from someone who wasted the time, money and energy on RTC/ODP for years. Missed a lot of spring breaks and memorial day vacations to stay home for the lame tournaments.

You would be much better working with a good skills trainer and doing speed work.

Comment

RTC is good for 10 year olds. Parent bragging rights. Kids feel special have have not been cut from the pool. But the coaching isn't great. And it's expensive. After 10 years old, there is literally no benefit. Take it from someone who wasted the time, money and energy on RTC/ODP for years. Missed a lot of spring breaks and memorial day vacations to stay home for the lame tournaments.

You would be much better working with a good skills trainer and doing speed work.
                        Expensive? It's $333. And gear is included. Your kid must have been cut. Yeah, go get some private lessons and some speed training. Work that fat off of them.

Comment

Nobody does RTC/ODP after U10. Less and less are showing up. It's mostly rec players.

Comment

My kid is a he. All the vitrol on this board regarding ODP/RTC is from parents of "shes". My "she" is playing D1 right now, so I hope you posted this for the benefit of others, because I sure didn't need it. Now go get the boss some coffee.

Comment

Everyone complains about the coaching at RTC/ODP. But you have to understand it is very hard to recruit coaches, much less good coaches. In a lot of cases you just need a warm body to fill the position.

Comment

My kid is a he. All the vitrol on this board regarding ODP/RTC is from parents of "shes". My "she" is playing D1 right now, so I hope you posted this for the benefit of others, because I sure didn't need it. Now go get the boss some coffee.
                                Sure she's playing D1. Just like all 8 of my kids are playing D1 right now too. If she's so good you won't be ashamed to share her name and school now would you?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X