X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Due Diligence

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Agree with the assessment of its about the coach and not so much the club. The thing is if your trying to assess the coach it's hard as you don't get feedback from other parents from different clubs. I have been trying to figure out the stronger coaches in 02 rankings but, I can only go on what I have observed with coach behavior on sidelines, how the players are on the field and standings. Sometimes, the players are great on the field but, the coach is yelling like a crazy person and then sometimes I see very quiet coaches and the players not so good. Parents are reluctant to talk to you on sidelines as others parents seem to "be watching". So how do you find out about the information on coaches?
    When evaluating a potential new coach:

1. Know the style of coaching your player needs to develop and be happy. In each age group there are only a few choices so it's not really that hard to narrow the list down to 2 or 3 potential candidates.

2. Go watch his/her teams practice MULTIPLE times. Nothing will give you a better view into who they are and how they teach than watching an everyday practice.

3. Talk to parents of kids on the team. You will get a selection bias but you need to hear what it is that makes them their coach of choice and reinforce your perspective AFTER watching them coach a practice.

4. Talk to other parents of previous players. You can find these within the coaches current and or previous club and theses conversations can lead you to players who have switched clubs.

It's hard work but the pay off for getting the "right" coach for your kids is invaluable for BOTH you and your player.

This is a serious decision and you need to put at least as much effort into it as you do reading consumer reports and other review sites for the new 60 inch TV.

Comment

Despite how old this thread is, it still receives a lot of attention. A new website has launched to help parents find the best clubs and coaches: www.brilliantclubs.com.

This site lists many clubs and coaches in Oregon.

Comment

You'd probably be better off just having your dd sit at home and watch games on tv. That's where the TA girls coaches would rather be. Keep paying for the boys. If your dd has a passion for soccer then we'll see you at FC, OSSA or THUSC in a few years.
        Interesting. No need for sarcasm and trash-talking.

I see our TA club girls' coaches excited and proud of their players. These coaches are paid little and give hours beyond what is required of them. In the time shared by coaches and players, I watch the passion and positive progression on the field; I see the laughter, support and inspiration of the girls through their off-field bonding activities. I know firsthand, how much these girls and their coaches love their teams. I also know of the college offers and commitments that come in each of their high school years.

I know that coaches, players, and their families, disregard forum trash-talking as they focus on themselves.

So yes. Clubs offering girls' programs at area clubs, within or outside of the Timbers Alliance, are all good for soccer, when everyone involved is motivated to do good for one another and for the teams.

Comment

Interesting. No need for sarcasm and trash-talking.

I see our TA club girls' coaches excited and proud of their players. These coaches are paid little and give hours beyond what is required of them. In the time shared by coaches and players, I watch the passion and positive progression on the field; I see the laughter, support and inspiration of the girls through their off-field bonding activities. I know firsthand, how much these girls and their coaches love their teams. I also know of the college offers and commitments that come in each of their high school years.

I know that coaches, players, and their families, disregard forum trash-talking as they focus on themselves.

So yes. Clubs offering girls' programs at area clubs, within or outside of the Timbers Alliance, are all good for soccer, when everyone involved is motivated to do good for one another and for the teams.
          You realize you are responding to a 3-yr old post?

Comment

You realize you are responding to a 3-yr old post?
            And nothing has changed, except for the worse at the TA clubs.

Comment

They got rid of you so thats a start .

Comment

Except the fact that you moved to CU, well after the downfall over there started. Can you post Tom's email address so we can all keep in touch with him?

Comment

Except the fact that you moved to CU, well after the downfall over there started. Can you post Tom's email address so we can all keep in touch with him?
                  The general is all tuned up for another year. Amazing enough after last year it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. The only reason to go to CU was to do smokey burn outs and confuse everybody.

Comment

The general is all tuned up for another year. Amazing enough after last year it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. The only reason to go to CU was to do smokey burn outs and confuse everybody.
                    The truth is Oregon has poor coaches and DOC's and it has finally caught up with them.
                    We now have clubs such as FC Portland and THUSC without leadership. We have all other clubs that have leaders but lack direction and stability. The so called leaders think, "How can I make this a full time job?" All the DOC's that are full time have no excuses. Why can't they get better staff or train them to become better coaches? Parents in OR are getting sold short and unfortunately they are clueless when it come to soccer so these clubs get away with it.

We are the laughing stock of US Soccer!!

We need to stop asking ourselves who the best are because there are none.

Comment

The truth is Oregon has poor coaches and DOC's and it has finally caught up with them.
                      We now have clubs such as FC Portland and THUSC without leadership. We have all other clubs that have leaders but lack direction and stability. The so called leaders think, "How can I make this a full time job?" All the DOC's that are full time have no excuses. Why can't they get better staff or train them to become better coaches? Parents in OR are getting sold short and unfortunately they are clueless when it come to soccer so these clubs get away with it.

We are the laughing stock of US Soccer!!

We need to stop asking ourselves who the best are because there are none.
                      Starnhe that we don't produce top players when the Timbers & Thorns are so successful. Big money and huge interest in soccer in Oregon. We should be doing better.

Comment

Starnhe that we don't produce top players when the Timbers & Thorns are so successful. Big money and huge interest in soccer in Oregon. We should be doing better.
                        Timbers and Thorns are "successful"? Since when. Both suck this year, Thorns have sucked for 3 years running, and the Timbers only "success" was in the end-of-year league cup 4-tier tourney last year when everyone else was beat up from trying to win the real league championship.

Comment

Timbers and Thorns are "successful"? Since when. Both suck this year, Thorns have sucked for 3 years running, and the Timbers only "success" was in the end-of-year league cup 4-tier tourney last year when everyone else was beat up from trying to win the real league championship.
                          Successful money wise and fan base wise. Oregon is one of the most soccer crazy states. Shouldn't we be able to produce more top players a la Iceland?

Comment

There's a new website that lets you review the clubs in Oregon: www.brilliantclubs.com.

Comment

There's a new website that lets you review the clubs in Oregon: www.brilliantclubs.com.
                              you mean the one that doesn't even have the clubs in the right spots? ya, brilliant..

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X