Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You are very strange. Good luck with the arm and your keeper is one of the maybe 3 to 4 truly elite players on your roster. Wouldn't be the same for you guys without her. Good luck to your girls on the rest of there year.
    I suppose we all have different definitions of strange. I find it strange to anonymously criticize 13 year-old girls and their team online. I think the world would be a better place without the negativity and politics. I agree that our keeper is a great player. Thank you for the kind words wishing us luck.

Comment

I suppose we all have different definitions of strange. I find it strange to anonymously criticize 13 year-old girls and their team online. I think the world would be a better place without the negativity and politics. I agree that our keeper is a great player. Thank you for the kind words wishing us luck.
      Doesn't take much luck to win games when you purposely choose to under-challenge your players by having them play in a severely watered down OYSA league.

Comment

Doesn't take much luck to win games when you purposely choose to under-challenge your players by having them play in a severely watered down OYSA league.
        Come on, they are playing in Champion's League too.

Comment

They play NWCL, FWRL as well. Is there another league you think this team should join?

Comment

Judging by your reply, you must be associated with an ECNL team. No one involved with the Timbers would be so dismissive of their teams. Whether or not that is the case, I believe one of the major tenets of ECNL play is the focus on daily training and improvement of its players. The GDA is also targeting this goal. I agree. I believe the ratio of practice to match is something like 5-1. If being forced to choose and use your language, I would rather purposely under-challenge our players on the occasions that they play other teams compared with being under-challenged at practice. However, I am not as dismissive as you concerning the competition inside and outside OYSA.

Comment

Judging by your reply, you must be associated with an ECNL team. No one involved with the Timbers would be so dismissive of their teams. Whether or not that is the case, I believe one of the major tenets of ECNL play is the focus on daily training and improvement of its players. The GDA is also targeting this goal. I agree. I believe the ratio of practice to match is something like 5-1. If being forced to choose and use your language, I would rather purposely under-challenge our players on the occasions that they play other teams compared with being under-challenged at practice. However, I am not as dismissive as you concerning the competition inside and outside OYSA.
              There are a few ECNL parents around here who think that the ECNL is the only competent girls' soccer league, and all else is rec.

Comment

Wow!! Check your parenting skills. If you had a 13 year old daughter you would send them to this guy?
                GPS is a model based on making money and fooling the American parent. It works for many which is why it can be funded. Why not align yourself with Newburg and HSC? They now pay GPS $75 per player and have to wear the Bayern kit. What about the development plan? Who has MJ got working for him? Nobody. Yes, he is a decent coach (Bad temperament) but he cannot do it by himself. This will never work because OR does not have coaches skilled enough to follow any kind of plan. GPS do not have a plan based on Oregon soccer. Parents need to stop falling for this nonsense but the culture will never change. They tell their neighbors that their child is at GPS. They tell them they are affiliated with Bayern Munich. The friends say WOW! That's good enough for the American parent!
                Orig Poster, and yes, that's what I said, if I had a 13yr old daughter, I would consider sending her to play for GPS. For the very reasons I stated, MJ is a good coach, cares about the girls, focuses on fundamentals and player development, not just winning (but is competitive and also wants to win, and I like that too). Sure, he may have some flaws but who doesn't. If he wants to get upset with a ref and get a red card on occasion, there is much worse behavior out there or plenty of coaches too apathetic to care. I've seen the GPS curriculum, it's organized and well done and there are supposed to be checks from national to make sure it is being followed. There seems to be far more over site than any other local club. TA or Ecnl. I don't know about the other coaches there but like i stated, the 03s are his baby and he will make sure they get all his attention and effort, isn't that what you want as a parent? My neighbors could give a $6it where my kids play and I don't feel the need to brag. So once again, if I had a 13yr old girl, I would consider GPS.

What better option is there in Oregon for the "American" parent? You never hear the haters offer up their idea of better options, they just like to bash on people choosing different options than them.

Comment

There are a few ECNL parents around here who think that the ECNL is the only competent girls' soccer league, and all else is rec.
                  There is a lot of truth to that.

Comment

Yes this is true. ECNL at high school age is far and away best option. All else is less then ECNL at this time.

Comment

I'd have to agree. If your daughter is on the GPS 03 girls team, your not going to get a better bang for your buck. MJ needs this team to continue to succeed to bring recognition to the GPS Oregon brand if it is going to grow and succeed. So he will continue to put tons of time and effort into this team. If I had a 13 year old girl, I might send her there. I've seen him at training, he's high energy, intense, and well planned sessions. I'm sure the other 3 teams get plenty of TLC too but the 03 Gs are his baby.

PS- haven't posted for awhile, but maybe the "random question" needs to change since the US Women won nothing at the Olympics.

Just be careful you don't leave your wife alone with him. He likes the soccer mommies!!

Comment

Orig Poster, and yes, that's what I said, if I had a 13yr old daughter, I would consider sending her to play for GPS. For the very reasons I stated, MJ is a good coach, cares about the girls, focuses on fundamentals and player development, not just winning (but is competitive and also wants to win, and I like that too). Sure, he may have some flaws but who doesn't. If he wants to get upset with a ref and get a red card on occasion, there is much worse behavior out there or plenty of coaches too apathetic to care. I've seen the GPS curriculum, it's organized and well done and there are supposed to be checks from national to make sure it is being followed. There seems to be far more over site than any other local club. TA or Ecnl. I don't know about the other coaches there but like i stated, the 03s are his baby and he will make sure they get all his attention and effort, isn't that what you want as a parent? My neighbors could give a $6it where my kids play and I don't feel the need to brag. So once again, if I had a 13yr old girl, I would consider GPS.

What better option is there in Oregon for the "American" parent? You never hear the haters offer up their idea of better options, they just like to bash on people choosing different options than them.
                        We should all be envious of a coach having this kind of focus of time and resources on a single team of girls. I am as an outsider. However, he is only able to do this for so long in an effort to have a product to sell to a broader mass of players. Let's face it, we're in a pay to play system and his is not a viable/sustainable model. End of day, MJ is simply running a start up business that must eventually generate enough revenues to pay him a salary commensurate with his ego! Enjoy the start up phase before the realities of economics kick in.

Comment

They play NWCL, FWRL as well. Is there another league you think this team should join?
                          Don't listen to the jackazz!

The real problem is that your team is doing too many events. The coach is a rookie. If your DD plays for a team that plays in more tha 40 games a year you are failing your child.

Paying $1000 to do a watered down NWCL where your DD plays 4 games in 30 hours? You are failing your DD

Comment

Don't listen to the jackazz!

The real problem is that your team is doing too many events. The coach is a rookie. If your DD plays for a team that plays in more tha 40 games a year you are failing your child.

Paying $1000 to do a watered down NWCL where your DD plays 4 games in 30 hours? You are failing your DD
                            There are a lot of parents failing their DD's. In fact, every parent with a DD at a Timbers Alliance club is massively failing their DD.

Comment

Is it a one team club?

For my part I can see a lot of pros and cons with GPS. Almost all the posts in this topic are about just one team though, the 03's. For that part, any objective person would have to admit that it is a great team and MJ is a great coach imo. The team itself was not even that good when he picked them up from BSC in the first place. So yeah, if I had a 13 year old I would like for them to be on that team.

However, the real test of the club has nothing to do with one team and I don't see anyone on here from a GPS team talking about how great the club or MJ is outside of just this 03 team and those parents. The uniforms are cool and the curriculum and ideas seem as good or better than anything anyone else has, but for a club to be successful the administration, organization and the training and supervision of other coaches and teams need to be there as well and the jury is most definitely out on that.

I had an older son on a team with MJ and it was a great experience, but I have younger daughters and considered GPS teams for them that were not coached by MJ and decided against it.

Is there anyone affiliated with a GPS team that isn't this one 03 team with any insight on the club as a whole?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X