Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Because some kids wouldn’t even go to college if it were not for the opportunity to play soccer for 4 more years. Sometimes, just sometimes the tail does wag the dog. and if my kid can get her college degree where she may not otherwise get one, then that’s a bonus!
    Definitely true but is that kid really going to an elite LAC like some here like to portray?

Comment

What's wrong with having soccer IN the equation? Why can't a kid go for both just like some go for both with D1? And why is it a continual problem for you? Is sending a kid to Grinnell or Carleton or W&L THAT horrible?
      What’s wrong? Nothing is wrong with picking one of those schools if that’s the best academic fit but to suggest that that exact same level of academics can’t be found elsewhere is just not accurate. If a kid picks a school and then tries their hand at soccer that one things but most of the scenarios the family is specifically targeting schools because of soccer. It then becomes a little disingenuous to applaud the academic reputation of a choice on a soccer forum when it is clear that the level of soccer talent was really the dictating factor.

Comment

What’s wrong? Nothing is wrong with picking one of those schools if that’s the best academic fit but to suggest that that exact same level of academics can’t be found elsewhere is just not accurate. If a kid picks a school and then tries their hand at soccer that one things but most of the scenarios the family is specifically targeting schools because of soccer. It then becomes a little disingenuous to applaud the academic reputation of a choice on a soccer forum when it is clear that the level of soccer talent was really the dictating factor.
        Not true, but even if it was, why do you care so much about how genuine people are? There is not a single thing wrong with kids including athletics in their college choice decision. There are plenty of smart kids who are also good athletes. Saying a kid could have instead gone to a strong D1 academic school if they are going to a strong D3 is 100% irrelevant. In that case, if they wanted to just go to a D1 school they would do so. Please, please seek help. Ask your spouse for a good referral.

Comment

My kid holds acceptances from let's say Midd, Bowdoin and Colgate. The Midd coach is lukewarm about the kid playing soccer there and the Colgate coach isn't interested. On the other hand, the Bowdoin coach really wants the kid to come. Aside from soccer, the kids likes all of these schools about the same. Is picking Bowdoin in that circumstance some sort of crime, BTNT???

Comment

Stop with the "merit money" at top academic schools. At those schools, there are so many applicants with near perfect grades and scores that there's no way to decide who to give the money to - so they don't. Places like Williams or the Ivies don't give merit money because of league rules, so the place to look for merit money is at the next level down.
            A few years ago, in a thread similar to this, I posted the merit aid policies of the UAA schools. Seven of the eight awarded merit aid--including Chicago, which is certainly at the level of Williams or the Ivies--so it's simply not correct to claim that none of the top academic schools give merit aid. Just because it's that way around here doesn't mean it's that way everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
              including chicago, which is certainly at the level of williams or the ivies
              lololololololol

Comment

lololololololol
                Please, you'd give a nut for your kid to go to Chicago and play - A top 10 national university (not some small LAC) where both the men's and women's programs are consistent top performers in one of the better D3 conferences.

Comment

Please, you'd give a nut for your kid to go to Chicago and play - A top 10 national university (not some small LAC) where both the men's and women's programs are consistent top performers in one of the better D3 conferences.
                  No. no I wouldn't.
                  Wanna know why? My D doesn't have to settle. Given choices between P5 and Ivy, she made her choice.

Now, if you are asking if I would be thrilled if she chose U Chic from the choices she had, of course I would. I love all my kids and I support whatever their choices from the options they have. U Chic is a fantastic school. Howevah, this is an anonymous forum called Talking *wait for it* Soccer, and our currency is SOCCER.

Wouldn't you be happier having your Academics First conversation in the athletic forum on College Confidential? Seriously, if it isn't about soccer, then why are you (still) here?

Comment

No. no I wouldn't.
                    Wanna know why? My D doesn't have to settle. Given choices between P5 and Ivy, she made her choice.

Now, if you are asking if I would be thrilled if she chose U Chic from the choices she had, of course I would. I love all my kids and I support whatever their choices from the options they have. U Chic is a fantastic school. Howevah, this is an anonymous forum called Talking *wait for it* Soccer, and our currency is SOCCER.

Wouldn't you be happier having your Academics First conversation in the athletic forum on College Confidential? Seriously, if it isn't about soccer, then why are you (still) here?
                    You force your own kid to MCLA. I'll allow mine to go to Carleton.

Comment

No. no I wouldn't.

LOL. Soccer is the currency? I'm confused. You've always made it seem like getting a free ride is your only interest. You don't even like soccer. Too, too funny.

Comment

I don't have a child that goes to MCLA.
                        And if I did, what's your point?

Comment

Carleton sounds interesting. Where is it?

Comment

My kid holds acceptances from let's say Midd, Bowdoin and Colgate. The Midd coach is lukewarm about the kid playing soccer there and the Colgate coach isn't interested. On the other hand, the Bowdoin coach really wants the kid to come. Aside from soccer, the kids likes all of these schools about the same. Is picking Bowdoin in that circumstance some sort of crime, BTNT???
                            It is if you then are insistent on making the claim that academics are the family’s first priority. Clearly the kid has grades so why limit them just to Bowdoin when they might actually be able to get into a better school (than either Bowdoin, Midd or Colgate) if they targeted simply based upon academics period. In this case, which is the actual driving force behind the decision, academics or soccer, if they are crossing schools off their list so they can play soccer?

Comment

A few years ago, in a thread similar to this, I posted the merit aid policies of the UAA schools. Seven of the eight awarded merit aid--including Chicago, which is certainly at the level of Williams or the Ivies--so it's simply not correct to claim that none of the top academic schools give merit aid. Just because it's that way around here doesn't mean it's that way everywhere.
                              Here is the fallacy in your argument, when a school like a Chicago gives merit money the competition for it is so high that it practically none existent so if your kid has the sort of grades to get some (never mind large chunks of it - to offset a potential soccer scholarship) they are the equivalent of an academic unicorn and have much better options on their plate than a Chicago. That’s just a fact.

Comment

lololololololol
                                Chicago is tied for #6 in the current US News rankings. While they're behind Princeton, Harvard, Columbia, and Yale, they're tied with Penn, and ahead of the other three Ivies.

You should spend less time laughing and more time getting a clue.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X