Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DPD Delusional Parent Disorder

Definition of Delusional Parent Disorder: Parents who have false or unrealistic beliefs or opinions about their children even when confronted with facts: “Watching John yell at his son after the game makes me think he suffers from Delusional Parent Disorder.”

A worthy read and something we could all reflect about:

http://www.layupsandrebounds.com/kei...d8a13db3ubsyns

At least 70% of this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Definition of Delusional Parent Disorder: Parents who have false or unrealistic beliefs or opinions about their children even when confronted with facts: “Watching John yell at his son after the game makes me think he suffers from Delusional Parent Disorder.”

Thanks for sharing. I agree most parents suffer from this.

Comment

This sentence stood out:

"We have those post-game conversations in the car with our children, dissecting the game and inflating the importance of a twelve year-old youth soccer game when all they really want to know is if we will take them out for some ice cream."

This is so true. I wonder if the parents who inevitably come up with the "Girls 0x" rankings really understand this? It's so important that parents rank and predict scores and then debate the results of games for 11, 12, 13, .... year old girls when the reality is, the girls who played in the game can't remember the results three hours later. Or if they do, they don't care. They would rather go to Baskin Robbins for some ice cream or to 7-Eleven for a Slurpee. I'm sure there are some girls that care a few days later if they won or lost, but the majority don't. And those that do care, don't text or call or blog about it.

Comment

DPD.... most severe with parents of dd's U13 or younger.

Comment

DPD.... most severe with parents of dd's U13 or younger.
            I am laughing at this. So true!! This board is full of DPD. I think people need to let their children be children and enjoy the ride. It is over really quick.

Comment

Great blog. High level competitive youth sports could not exist without DPD.

Comment

This sentence stood out:

"We have those post-game conversations in the car with our children, dissecting the game and inflating the importance of a twelve year-old youth soccer game when all they really want to know is if we will take them out for some ice cream."

This is so true. I wonder if the parents who inevitably come up with the "Girls 0x" rankings really understand this? It's so important that parents rank and predict scores and then debate the results of games for 11, 12, 13, .... year old girls when the reality is, the girls who played in the game can't remember the results three hours later. Or if they do, they don't care. They would rather go to Baskin Robbins for some ice cream or to 7-Eleven for a Slurpee. I'm sure there are some girls that care a few days later if they won or lost, but the majority don't. And those that do care, don't text or call or blog about it.
                My daughters team must be special they all care and remember for a long time after games!

Comment

This sentence stood out:

Speaketh the turth.

Comment

My daughters team must be special they all care and remember for a long time after games!
                    Doubtful. Look in the mirror. It's you who cares, not them.

Comment

Doubtful. Look in the mirror. It's you who cares, not them.
                      Is there anything wrong with that? Or aren't you a fan of any sports at all?

Comment

This sentence stood out:

While DPD may be something that parents should avoid, I disagree about the kids "can't remember the results three hours later" comment. My DD and her team definitely remember and it is important to (most of) them what the results are. They are a competitive team and, while they like cupcakes and trophies, they don't want them for participation - they want them because it means they accomplished something.

Comment

While DPD may be something that parents should avoid, I disagree about the kids "can't remember the results three hours later" comment. My DD and her team definitely remember and it is important to (most of) them what the results are. They are a competitive team and, while they like cupcakes and trophies, they don't want them for participation - they want them because it means they accomplished something.
                          That very well may be because of you as the parent. You help them remember by fixating on the results. In all likelihood you are bringing it up, rehashing play by play and she or he are simply interacting with you.

My oldest and most successful soccer player (playing D1 currently) never really let losses infiltrate her mentality. If she did, then she might have succumbed to the doom and gloom mentality demonstrated on this board.

The fact is that she did not talk about losses very often, and seemed to move on with ease and always faced the next game like there was a snowball's chance in hell of winning it irrespective of how unlikely it might be. I often thought that it was her ability to shed the bad that made her able to compete at the highest level without doubting herself.

When she was 12 or 13 I realized I was rehashing the scores and making a big deal and going over every little aspect of a game. I had to back off and chill out a bit. Don't get me wrong, I was always so proud of her level of play and looked forward to the next game. I also kept track of all the scores and would try to predict who would be playing who in the playoffs. I was the enthusiastic DPD parent. I had good intentions.

By the time my DD was high school age she was playing on so many different teams and events she got to where she really didn't know who she was playing next. She would show up and give it her all, and then leave it on the field. In only a few instances ever did I see her take a loss poorly. It is a gift because the higher the level of play the more critical people become, and the more weight is put on winning. It can overtake you. I have had one child drop out of sports that could have run track in college but decided they did not want to deal with the stress any longer and would prefer to simply focus on school.

I guess my point is that I have also suffered from DPD and have learned a lot from the journey. I could look anyone in the face and assure then with 100% confidence that the team their kid plays on at age 12,13 and even 14 really doesn't matter so long as they enjoy it. Opportunity seems to find the talented kids even when it may not appear to exist. I suspect even with the split in Oregon soccer there will be some girls who will enjoy all sorts of invitational play.

There are only three things that I bring to the table with respect to sports and they are :

1.Unconditional support
                          2.Money <-- unfortunate but true
                          3.Transportation

I think my oldest was able to cure me somewhat of DPD. It is a humbling experience to get to a high level and see how hard it is to make it and to stay there. And, I might add for the guy who only wants to hear about top ten colleges, the level that my DD plays is NOT at his top ten colleges and is still a very difficult path.

Comment

Why doesn't my kid play?

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/o..._month_or.html

Comment

If you were not making a big deal out of the results they wouldn't care. Ironically, making a big deal about meaningless results when they are young, lessens their chances of ever making it to a point where they can play in actual meaningful games later on.

But keep on pushing winning, 'Merika!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X