Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Who defines what each player "need"? Some players "want" to play more and be better. This would require extra training including ODP, private lessons, training on their own, etc. My son's club definitely does not give him all he needs. I wish we would have gone elsewhere and probably will next year. Until then he chooses to train on his own and do extra programs. It's also more fun for him. He meets new players and gets training from other coaches. Some day it would be nice for him to get more from his club but until then he chooses to add supplemental training.
    The "fates" define what each player "needs". Lots will "want" more but it won't get them any further if they are "fated" to quit soccer for football at U14...

Comment

The "fates" define what each player "needs". Lots will "want" more but it won't get them any further if they are "fated" to quit soccer for football at U14...
      Ok obviously the quotes bothered you. I just meant that every player needs (wants) different things. Nobody needs to play soccer they usually want to. Obviously your player is happy with what they're getting from their club, mine is not. I'm not sure where football enters the picture...fate??

Comment

this is an easy question....High School Soccer is the worst soccer on the planet.

the only thing similar to High School Soccer would be your DD's club team, they play the same style of game.
        Sounds like you need to move. HS soccer, while not at the same level as the "top" premiere experiences around can certainly be a good experience for your player. High schools like Jesuit, Central Catholic, Camas (WA), Columbia River (WA), Sherwood and Lake Oswego are examples of great schools to play HS soccer at. Maybe you should spend your club money at making sure your kid gets into a decent school because ironically all of the schools mentioned above also lead the area academically. Maybe just a coincidence but I doubt it ;)

Comment

Sounds like you need to move. HS soccer, while not at the same level as the "top" premiere experiences around can certainly be a good experience for your player. High schools like Jesuit, Central Catholic, Camas (WA), Columbia River (WA), Sherwood and Lake Oswego are examples of great schools to play HS soccer at. Maybe you should spend your club money at making sure your kid gets into a decent school because ironically all of the schools mentioned above also lead the area academically. Maybe just a coincidence but I doubt it ;)
          I disagree...high school soccer is for the social side of life only...
          The soccer is terrible....

How can you throw camas in that mix?
          They are coached by a guy that lives in the soccer world of the 80's!
          His teams never complete four passes in a row, there is zero midfield play and he has players that can actually play the game.
          High school soccer is the most direct style of play next to the Scottish first division. It is paint up to watch

Comment

His teams never complete four passes in a row, there is zero midfield play and he has players that can actually play the game.
            High school soccer is the most direct style of play next to the Scottish first division. It is paint up to watch
            This past year Camas and Skyview were ranked top 2 boys teams in WA state. Most of the boys on those 2 teams also happened to play on the WT_FC Reds U18 team that won WA State cup. Skyview even had a 2-time Gatorade player of the year on the roster. The soccer they played was very good, believe it or not.

Comment

They might have been referring to Camas girls? Almost exclusively girls soccer parents on TS....

Comment

This past year Camas and Skyview were ranked top 2 boys teams in WA state. Most of the boys on those 2 teams also happened to play on the WT_FC Reds U18 team that won WA State cup. Skyview even had a 2-time Gatorade player of the year on the roster. The soccer they played was very good, believe it or not.
                Yes, it came as a shock though the 2 time Gatorade player who is excellent did not make Timbers academy. Something is up with that. Best player in area does not make Timbers Academy team. Crazy

Comment

Yes, it came as a shock though the 2 time Gatorade player who is excellent did not make Timbers academy. Something is up with that. Best player in area does not make Timbers Academy team. Crazy
                  That there explains my point....dude couldn't play the game but I'm sure he was fast and athletic and probably scored a lot of goals from balls over the top.

In the academy you have to know how to play

Comment

That there explains my point....dude couldn't play the game but I'm sure he was fast and athletic and probably scored a lot of goals from balls over the top.

In the academy you have to know how to play
                    Played midfield and he knows how to play. But good try anyway.

Comment

Played midfield and he knows how to play. But good try anyway.
                      playing midfield doesn't mean you know how to play.
                      I'm sure playing in the middle for his High School team he was a rockstar but an Academy player I'm sure there were 15 others just like him.

Where is he going to college?
                      He will end up playing in the back in college

Comment

playing midfield doesn't mean you know how to play.
                        I'm sure playing in the middle for his High School team he was a rockstar but an Academy player I'm sure there were 15 others just like him.

Where is he going to college?
                        He will end up playing in the back in college
                        Doesn't plan to play college soccer. He's got other interests that are more important to him. But if you've never seen him play, you don't know how good he is...

Comment

HS soccer = higher (serious) injury risk?

In addition to coaching quality and style of play (as already debated here), one might want to consider if there is a higher risk of serious injury at HS. I've heard that unlike club or elite development programs, HS (even top teams) will expose players to kids who play with less control and poorer judgement due to a lack of technical / tactical skills and game experience. If you want to stay healthy for college, this should be a consideration as well.

Comment

Doesn't plan to play college soccer. He's got other interests that are more important to him. But if you've never seen him play, you don't know how good he is...
                            Other interests besides soccer? Like what? All the kids I know that are that good are soccer crazed!

Comment

Here again with the knock of direct play soccer. Have you seen the US men's or women's side in international competition? Have you been to a Thorns game? I suppose when you watch soccer you're the ignoramous that uses the English soccer terms because you watch the Fox soccer channel and you think it makes you sound more authentic. Truth is, most of the soccer played here is fairly direct. Coaches will generally play a style that results in wins. Both the schools mentioned in Washington (Skyview and Camas) were ranked Top 10 in the country this year. This is the same coach that "lives in the soccer world of the 80's". You may not love HS soccer and that's understandable if your DD or DS is playing for Barlow, Evergreen or West Linn but don't hate on all the programs because they are not all created equal.

Comment

Tikki Takki

We lets be honest the Barca way and Spanish style was truly blown apart by Holland in the WC and by the German teams in the Champions League. It history now the next phase of the game is here. fast powerful play forward ball movement but not long ball play. Support the ball but with pace. Look at Belgium young team growing every year, players playing in all the top leagues around Europe.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X