•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We are with an OPL team.
    I am on the fence about this 'merge'.
    Right now the A teams on boys side are moving towards OYSA. I figure that by Fall all the top boys teams will play in OYSA.
    B teams might be ok with traveling out of town to play B teams so some of them might play in OPL, but I would expect most OPL B teams to play in OPL - except for the number of teams to compete against there.
    C teams really aren't going to want to drive 5 hours between Medford and Portland or Bend and Portland or Eugene to Portland, etc... (does ANYBODY really want to do that?) so I would think they'll stay in OPL.
    Which kind of makes OPL look like PML on the boys side, as some previous poster on TS has said. Which is fine from a parent perspective, if they can get enough teams to fill each age group and not end up with the combined age groups.

On the Girls side the talent is moving towards the ECNL teams, but there's still a lot of quality players who don't want to or can't pay for the travel in ECNL and find homes on either OPL or OYSA teams. Both the leagues have problems on the girls side and it probably does make sense for the non-ECNL teams to play in one league. I really don't know where the Thorns Academy fits in - it seems like it's trying to be an 'all-star' team but doesn't have anywhere to play since it doesn't fit into ECNL and is (or at least should be) a bit higher level team that OPL or OYSA league teams.

I would think OYSA and OPL could work out an agreement between Spring, Fall, Winter, and State Cup games, but have heard that the Timbers organization has created some roadblocks to that.
    No roadblocks....timbers have approached OPL twice since the split.

Comment

Was that with or without a bat in hand?

All kidding aside, wish both sides luck in any continued discussions about putting this thing back together. Not holding my breath though.

Comment

Only with "all or nothing" offers. Timbers have NEVER bargained in good faith. OPL is doing just fine for B/C teams and will stay that way. A teams will be placed in appropriate leagues whether that is OPL, OYSA, or ECNL.

Comment

That would be good. What approach? If the approach is Timbers suggesting that they just take over OPL then I would see that as a roadblock. If the approach is Timbers suggesting that OPL is a farm for Timbers Academy teams then I would see that as a roadblock also.
          If Timbers have approached OPL with a meaningful partnership I'd like to hear what it is.
          If Timbers have done that and OPL is ignoring them then IDK.

Comment

Originally posted by Slow Xavi View Post
            Was that with or without a bat in hand?

All kidding aside, wish both sides luck in any continued discussions about putting this thing back together. Not holding my breath though.
            If the Timbers wanted a unified league there would be a unified league. It's clear they don't really want unification.

Comment

Global view, bigger picture symptom of...

Look at all of the boys age groups U14+ and you'll find Timbers teams filling several of the bottom positions in the standings. Given how many Timbers clubs there are, you'd think they'd be dominating but they aren't.

Top teams

BU14 - FCP
              BU15 - Santos FC
              BU16 - Eastside
              BU17 - Crossfire
              BU18 - Eastside
              Not exactly dominance in a league that is 80% "Timbers".
              These ages are dominated by the Timbers. Boys Academy teams. (u14 not so much)

That is were the top 50 boys are playing these days, with the USSDA Timbers teams.

So, who is relevant in the OPL or OYSA leagues reflects who has the most competitive JV boys teams in Oregon Club Soccer.

Congrats!

Comment

That is were the top 50 boys are playing these days, with the USSDA Timbers teams.

So, who is relevant in the OPL or OYSA leagues reflects who has the most competitive JV boys teams in Oregon Club Soccer.

Congrats!
                Hardly. Most of the boys on the USSDA teams don't have the GPA to play HS soccer.

Comment

Congrats!
                  I was wondering how long it would take a TA parent to throw out the Timbers Academy excuse.

You go ahead and think the top 50 boys are in the academy.
                  BTW, I have a bridge to sell you.

Comment

I was wondering how long it would take a TA parent to throw out the Timbers Academy excuse.

There have always been solid boys teams at FC Portland and Crossfire. The problem is that there aren't ANY OTHER good boys teams left in the OPL and there are lots of good boys teams in OYSA. That's why these teams are now playing in OYSA. I'm really not sure why this thread was even started.

Comment

There have always been solid boys teams at FC Portland and Crossfire. The problem is that there aren't ANY OTHER good boys teams left in the OPL and there are lots of good boys teams in OYSA. That's why these teams are now playing in OYSA. I'm really not sure why this thread was even started.
                      See "Someone must have stopped taking their meds" thread. Troll.

Comment

Glad to see some smack talk amongst the boys parents.

As you were.

Comment

It does underscore the whole purpose of the alliance though and that is to cause parents to believe their kid has a better chance of making the academy team by coming from an alliance team. That's where the money grab is. For what it's worth, the better players that have come from the academy teams so far have not been from alliance teams. They've been from FCP, CFC or from somewhere else.

Comment

Psychological characteristics
                            Two studies published in 2013 and 2014 have found that people who are identified as trolls tend to have dark personality traits and show signs of sadism, antisocial behavior, psychopathy, and machiavellianism.[37][38] The 2013 study suggested that there are a number of similarities between anti-social and flame trolling activities[37] and the 2014 study suggested that the noxious personality characteristics known as the "dark triad of personality" should be investigated in the analysis of trolling, and concluded that trolling appears "to be an Internet manifestation of everyday sadism."[38] Their relevance is suggested by research linking these traits to bullying in both adolescents and adults. The 2014 study found that trolls operate as agents of chaos on the Internet, exploiting hot-button issues to make users appear overly emotional or foolish in some manner. If an unfortunate person falls into their trap, trolling intensifies for further, merciless amusement. This is why novice Internet users are routinely admonished, "Do not feed the trolls!" The 2013 study found that trolls often have a high expectation of what it means to be successful, which is higher than they are able to attain, and this results in them resenting others who think they are successful but who fall below their standards.

Comment

It does underscore the whole purpose of the alliance though and that is to cause parents to believe their kid has a better chance of making the academy team by coming from an alliance team. That's where the money grab is. For what it's worth, the better players that have come from the academy teams so far have not been from alliance teams. They've been from FCP, CFC or from somewhere else.
                              CFC is an Alliance team ya big dummy. And yes, the better players are, in fact, coming from Alliance teams. Maybe a couple from FCP, but that's about it. Dang, you win the enormous dummy award. Wow. Sorry for being mean, but it's true.

Comment

That u14 group is one of the better ones in Oregon. WST and FCP are very good, WAFC and 4-H are solid, but dropping off. Crossfire is rising and play good soccer, BSC is inconsistent but try to play. Eastside is much improved. Not much out of Portland metro

CFC is an Alliance team ya big dummy. And yes, the better players are, in fact, coming from Alliance teams. Maybe a couple from FCP, but that's about it. Dang, you win the enormous dummy award. Wow. Sorry for being mean, but it's true.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X