Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thorns academy won out in their division, so that's nice. Eugene Timbers U-15 won their pool before losing in the semis to eventual winner pacNW from Seattle.
    I don't really know much about the college recruiting process and don't care if my daughter plays soccer in college, but this was the first tournament I've attended where the hotel lobbies, car rental lines and soccer fields were filled with college coaches. All the coaches I chatted with were incredibly friendly and professional. I just have no idea how they can sort through so many thousands of girls and see enough minutes of play to know who they really want to recruit. (But I guess that's why I'm just a naive parent who took in the sun and good soccer and simply enjoyed watching my daughter and friends play a game they love.)
    Overwhelmingly they are not there to randomly look at girls. They were invited to watch certain girls interested in playing at their school.

Thorns should have won. They were playing in the Silver (B) bracket.

Comment

Thorns academy won out in their division, so that's nice. Eugene Timbers U-15 won their pool before losing in the semis to eventual winner pacNW from Seattle.
      I don't really know much about the college recruiting process and don't care if my daughter plays soccer in college, but this was the first tournament I've attended where the hotel lobbies, car rental lines and soccer fields were filled with college coaches. All the coaches I chatted with were incredibly friendly and professional. I just have no idea how they can sort through so many thousands of girls and see enough minutes of play to know who they really want to recruit. (But I guess that's why I'm just a naive parent who took in the sun and good soccer and simply enjoyed watching my daughter and friends play a game they love.)
      Las Vegas is the second, third or fourth time that many coaches have seen players, and that's at U16. They know who they are looking for and it's pretty evident which players jump off the field and grab attention. Conversely, players who receive a ball only to see it bounce five feet away from them stand out too, for the wrong reasons. Ditto players who take a touch and then go whack the ball forward in a general direcetion where there are three defenders and no teammates, that stands out too.

Comment

Impressive results by Oregon teams. Great effort.

Comment

Strange actions ...

College coaches have certain requirements when they either contact a player or her/his parents. The general rule is that they may only say "hello" or another salutation and that's it. Rarely, I've never seen it, do coaches act friendly or converse with someone they don't know that could be a parent. Clearly, off-campus with the U-15 age group, no coach is talking to a stranger. I find your post highly suspect.

Comment

I wasn't trying to be 'suspect.' I may be naive, but I talked with college coaches at the airports and hotel lobbies. I left them alone when they were at the fields because they looked like they were 'working.' I didn't talk about my kid. I just asked them how they were doing and to tell me about their college. I'd never heard of some of the schools, so I asked things like, "Where's ____________ College located?" Maybe because some of the colleges were clearly NAIA or D3, the recruiting rules are different (?) and those coaches were not stressed about having a 5 minute conversation with a newbie parent.

Comment

Alright.

I wasn't trying to be 'suspect.' I may be naive, but I talked with college coaches at the airports and hotel lobbies. I left them alone when they were at the fields because they looked like they were 'working.' I didn't talk about my kid. I just asked them how they were doing and to tell me about their college. I'd never heard of some of the schools, so I asked things like, "Where's ____________ College located?" Maybe because some of the colleges were clearly NAIA or D3, the recruiting rules are different (?) and those coaches were not stressed about having a 5 minute conversation with a newbie parent.
              I believe you. Coaches do know that their ability to talk to possible parents or players is severely restricted. It wholly depends on players age and location. Thank you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X