Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Futsal

Curious as to what the thoughts are about the relevancy and importance of futsal. Does it really help develop skills or is indoor soccer good enough? Serious question as we are weighing out our kids moves for winter training.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Curious as to what the thoughts are about the relevancy and importance of futsal. Does it really help develop skills or is indoor soccer good enough? Serious question as we are weighing out our kids moves for winter training.
    1) If you are doing anything more than just drills, indoor soccer is the worst thing to develop you as a player.

2) Futsal turned my awkward daughter who couldn't do much in space into a D1 recruit. You can't replicate the speed and working in tight spaces anywhere else than on the futsal court. The weighted ball keeps the ball at your feet, where they can learn, vs. bouncing off the walls.

Again, not against indoor trainings, but adamantly against it unless you are a 40-year old man and need the boards to help you keep up with the play. And, last, like many things...futsal competitively (IMO) has a shelf-life. The training/drills remain, but once you get into 14+, I think it hurts more than helps on the big field if playing competitively. But, it's still fun to watch...

Comment

Absolutely!

https://futsalguide.com/beginner-inf...play-football/

Make sure you select a quality club. I highly encourage Safira and Ginga

Comment

Absolutely!

https://futsalguide.com/beginner-inf...play-football/

Make sure you select a quality club. I highly encourage Safira and Ginga
        Ignorant question here, but can a child simply wear indoor shoes for futsal or are there specially designed shoes?

Comment

Ignorant question here, but can a child simply wear indoor shoes for futsal or are there specially designed shoes?
          Futsal all the way. Nothing beats it for individual control. It is a different game and not everything is translatable but it will improve confidence on the ball tremendously. And the kids seem to love it.

If you have to do indoor I'd try to steer clear of any league that uses the stupid boards. The boards are close to a complete waste of time as they change the game significantly and reward poor play. Not to mention injury risks on those "fields" aren't worth it. Indoor on a turf field with no boards is ok but with futsal you get all of the good associated with indoor in a more intense way.

Oh, for futsal get futsal shoes which are essentially flatter court shoes. Kind of like turf shoes without the knobbies.

Comment

I never got how people think that a kid having a futsal game or two each weekend is going to be a game changer in terms of their foot skills. If their 2 indoor practices each week over 2-3 winter months was in a futsal environment and there was technical training in futsal environment going on and you had games too, well then I get it in terms of why the foot skills coming out the other end would be better. But one game a week over 6 weeks isn't going to mean squat to ones footskills. Esp if the teams focus is just on the score in which case it'll be an exercise in how efficiently we can get the ball to the big and/or quick kid enough times to come out on top.

Comment

Dubious developmental benefit imo for outdoor soccer. Futsal played properly is NOT soccer. If you believe kicking a ball around a small court helps with footwork, then go another step beyond that and have your kid play in a walk-in closet. With Covid, not sure how many indoor spaces will be even open for indoor sports.

Comment

Futsal during Covid is just about the dumbest thing you can do.

Comment

Futsal during Covid is just about the dumbest thing you can do.
                  You have made it abundantly clear that you are hiding for the foreseeable future. Most of us are not.

Comment

I never got how people think that a kid having a futsal game or two each weekend is going to be a game changer in terms of their foot skills. If their 2 indoor practices each week over 2-3 winter months was in a futsal environment and there was technical training in futsal environment going on and you had games too, well then I get it in terms of why the foot skills coming out the other end would be better. But one game a week over 6 weeks isn't going to mean squat to ones footskills. Esp if the teams focus is just on the score in which case it'll be an exercise in how efficiently we can get the ball to the big and/or quick kid enough times to come out on top.
                    The real futsal clubs are more about the trainings than the games.

Comment

Thoughts on Futsal

Futsal all the way. Nothing beats it for individual control. It is a different game and not everything is translatable but it will improve confidence on the ball tremendously. And the kids seem to love it.

If you have to do indoor I'd try to steer clear of any league that uses the stupid boards. The boards are close to a complete waste of time as they change the game significantly and reward poor play. Not to mention injury risks on those "fields" aren't worth it. Indoor on a turf field with no boards is ok but with futsal you get all of the good associated with indoor in a more intense way.

Oh, for futsal get futsal shoes which are essentially flatter court shoes. Kind of like turf shoes without the knobbies.
                      you can use your regular sneakers to play...its really not a big deal.

Comment

Dubious developmental benefit imo for outdoor soccer. Futsal played properly is NOT soccer. If you believe kicking a ball around a small court helps with footwork, then go another step beyond that and have your kid play in a walk-in closet. With Covid, not sure how many indoor spaces will be even open for indoor sports.
                        Skills are skills. Playing quick is playing quick. Playing in tight spaces is playing in tight spaces.

Every great player from Europe or South America played futsal growing up.

Comment

Futsal is great. But after 13, 14 years of age, spend the time soccer training instead. Unless your child wants to play it professionally.

Comment

Futsal is great. But after 13, 14 years of age, spend the time soccer training instead. Unless your child wants to play it professionally.
                            I'm a huge advocate of futsal, but 100% agree with this. Futsal should be used as a tool, something to build a foundation with. Not much different than working on your Coever skills, fitness work, etc. It should be started very young, and by the ages mentioned should be eased out. The work is done. And, the games are fun, but the learning takes place in training.

I've seen players stick with it too long and they can't seem to play "big enough" on a big field.

Comment

You can easily do both. It's winter in NE - "soccer training" is indoor doing drills anyway. It isn't hard to work a futsal practice and a 1 hour weekend game into the mix. And I continue to believe that even after 13, 14 it's better than indoor soccer with boards (which I don't view as soccer either).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X