Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NLI Signing Day Nov. 11 Questions

If a player was recruited to play D1/D2 but wasn't offered any money they don't sign a NLI. If a player was recruited to play at a D3 school, they don't sign a NLI.

But in the above scenarios, is it common for these types of players to sign something to acknowledge their recruitment? My daughter will be playing at a D3 school and a couple of her teammates will be signing their NLI and one will not be signing because she received no aid. The parent group would like to do something on Nov. 11 for all the girls. Any ideas?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If a player was recruited to play D1/D2 but wasn't offered any money they don't sign a NLI. If a player was recruited to play at a D3 school, they don't sign a NLI.

But in the above scenarios, is it common for these types of players to sign something to acknowledge their recruitment? My daughter will be playing at a D3 school and a couple of her teammates will be signing their NLI and one will not be signing because she received no aid. The parent group would like to do something on Nov. 11 for all the girls. Any ideas?
    I'm surprised you haven't been bombarded yet. Some purists go ape sh×× over this topic of posed "signings" saying it should only be reserved for those with actual NLIs. Personally I don't have an issue with it. Any kid who is going to play a sport in college has worked really hard to get there and deserves a picture in the local paper if they want it.

Comment

I'm surprised you haven't been bombarded yet. Some purists go ape sh×× over this topic of posed "signings" saying it should only be reserved for those with actual NLIs. Personally I don't have an issue with it. Any kid who is going to play a sport in college has worked really hard to get there and deserves a picture in the local paper if they want it.
      I believe if no aid, then really a guaranteed walk on spot. Or parents can afford to pay fullly. Remember, they need practice players as well. Playing sports in college is a great accomplishment, regardless of level; Parents & friends should be proud.

Comment

Do it for the kids if they want. It’s something to be celebrated regardless of what division the school is. Just be careful that the school where they are committed is ok with it. Some D3’s are not, especially the top academic ones as kids are required to apply ED and get admitted first.

Comment

Do it for the kids if they want. It’s something to be celebrated regardless of what division the school is. Just be careful that the school where they are committed is ok with it. Some D3’s are not, especially the top academic ones as kids are required to apply ED and get admitted first.
          Our HS doesn't take the pics until the spring when everyone is finalized but lots of clubs do it in signing day. I agree if the athlete wants to they should. You still are a recruited athlete regardless of any $ you may or may not be getting. It's something to be proud of.

Comment

Do whatever you want to celebrate the accomplishment. Just don't call it signing day, and dont put a pen in their hand. Call me an azzhat purist, and Ill call you a poser. The kid is not signing an NLI dont poach the spotlight. I saw a Boys HS lacrosse team post a picture of players gathered for the NLI signing ceremony and celebrating all the boys “committed to playing in college”’. Two boys were seated at the table with pens and 4 others standing behind them all proudly wearing their college sweatshirts. Personally, in thought that was very well done

Comment

Do whatever you want to celebrate the accomplishment. Just don't call it signing day, and dont put a pen in their hand. Call me an azzhat purist, and Ill call you a poser. The kid is not signing an NLI dont poach the spotlight. I saw a Boys HS lacrosse team post a picture of players gathered for the NLI signing ceremony and celebrating all the boys “committed to playing in college”’. Two boys were seated at the table with pens and 4 others standing behind them all proudly wearing their college sweatshirts. Personally, in thought that was very well done
              Ahh, reminiscing those days when you had those whites only drinking fountains?
              Good for you, purist. Have a cookie.

Comment

Maybe I'm a purist, but NLI day should really be reserved for those signing an NLI. My older daughter (College Senior) was "committed" to a D3 and absolutely hated the faux "signing" ritual on NLI day.

Her school has since changed its procedure, acknowledging students signing NLIs on NLI day and then hosts an end of year celebration for all their athletes who will be continuing athletics in college. Everyone wears their college gear, there's a school logo step & repeat, balloons, the school mascot, AD, coaches, principal & families.

Comment

Maybe I'm a purist, but NLI day should really be reserved for those signing an NLI. My older daughter (College Senior) was "committed" to a D3 and absolutely hated the faux "signing" ritual on NLI day.

Her school has since changed its procedure, acknowledging students signing NLIs on NLI day and then hosts an end of year celebration for all their athletes who will be continuing athletics in college. Everyone wears their college gear, there's a school logo step & repeat, balloons, the school mascot, AD, coaches, principal & families.
                  Like people said, kids don't have to do it if they don't want. But student athletes and schools that want to celebrate their accomplishments should.

Comment

Like people said, kids don't have to do it if they don't want. But student athletes and schools that want to celebrate their accomplishments should.
                    Just as we should call out people doing faux signings.

Celebrate! Post it all over instagram, send the pic to the paper, just don't put a pen in their hand and don't use the word "signing" when the kid is not signing anything

Comment

Celebrate! Post it all over instagram, send the pic to the paper, just don't put a pen in their hand and don't use the word "signing" when the kid is not signing anything
                      Literally no cares or even knows the difference. Kids are playing in college, that's all it is, but it should be recognized. Athletes can refuse the pen if they're inclined. They claim to want to be treated as adults. Stand behind or next to the signers. Problem solved.

Don't forget its not just schools that do this but clubs also. They're fast posting it all over social media. They definitely know the difference but it's good publicity for them.

Comment

Literally no cares or even knows the difference. Kids are playing in college, that's all it is, but it should be recognized. Athletes can refuse the pen if they're inclined. They claim to want to be treated as adults. Stand behind or next to the signers. Problem solved.

Don't forget its not just schools that do this but clubs also. They're fast posting it all over social media. They definitely know the difference but it's good publicity for them.
                        You seem to care.
                        I openly admit I care. Announce a commitment, pose in your sweatshirt, hold a soccer ball, by all means celebrate any and every commitment to play at any college.
                        Just don't grab a pen to knowingly misrepresent what your kid is doing.
                        If it ant' an NLI, then it's really just a Lie.

Comment

My sister in law posted my nephew’s “signing ceremony” all over social media. He was headed to a D3 school. He never made the team. Maybe he was signing his student loan form.

Comment

So have a pen in their hand in a picture is the problem? Sounds ridiculously childish to care about something like that.

Comment

My sister in law posted my nephew’s “signing ceremony” all over social media. He was headed to a D3 school. He never made the team. Maybe he was signing his student loan form.
                              He didn't really have a spot and never should have been in the pic in the first place.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X