Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the Covid college recruiting landscape like ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the Covid college recruiting landscape like ?

I have a 2022 son who plays a different sport and coaches are telling him they are holding off on 2022 offers because of the recent announcements regarding extended eligibility. My 2021 was recruited for D1 soccer just after finishing her 10th grade year. One of her club teammates had been in discussions with my dd’s future college coach. Everything looked promising since they had been talking frequently but was told a couple days ago that they aren’t going to recruit anymore 2021s. Basically, sorry, but Covid and NCAA changing.

What are other people hearing and experiencing?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have a 2022 son who plays a different sport and coaches are telling him they are holding off on 2022 offers because of the recent announcements regarding extended eligibility. My 2021 was recruited for D1 soccer just after finishing her 10th grade year. One of her club teammates had been in discussions with my dd’s future college coach. Everything looked promising since they had been talking frequently but was told a couple days ago that they aren’t going to recruit anymore 2021s. Basically, sorry, but Covid and NCAA changing.

Friend's D was to start as a freshman at a D1 and just took a PG year because of all the unknowns.

Comment

It became nearly impossible to recruit any more 21s once Covid hit. They needed to be wrapped up pre covid or well through the process. There were no chances for coaches to see them play this spring or summer. Most can't do official visits or even tour campuses as they've been all shut down. Sorry 21s but it's probably done.

Then add kids taking gap years, extended eligibility etc it's going to be awhile before this mess gets flushed through the system.

Comment

We know suite a few kids that are giving up the idea of playing in college. To many unknown variables and the 2022s have it tough with trying to get through junior year with online school and SAT tests cancelled. Keep in mind so much is up in the air with college sports right now, might not even have sports next season too.

Comment

We know suite a few kids that are giving up the idea of playing in college. To many unknown variables and the 2022s have it tough with trying to get through junior year with online school and SAT tests cancelled. Keep in mind so much is up in the air with college sports right now, might not even have sports next season too.
          So if there is little to no athletic money for college sports - what becomes of the ECNL? After all it’s the pathway to college soccer? Will people still be willing to spend thousands and travel all over just for their kid to play ECNL? Would love to know opinions on this.

Comment

I’m confused. Many college coaches continue to call and text my player. Nothing has changed.

Comment

My 2021 D just got an offer last week for D3 but coach also said three 2020 recruits deferred to next year. I'm sure that's happening in D1/2 world as well so not sure how that would impact D1/D2 recruiting.

Comment

I’m confused. Many college coaches continue to call and text my player. Nothing has changed.
                What year and division?

Comment

Sure they are.

Comment

So if there is little to no athletic money for college sports - what becomes of the ECNL? After all it’s the pathway to college soccer? Will people still be willing to spend thousands and travel all over just for their kid to play ECNL? Would love to know opinions on this.
                    It will be fine. Women's soccer isn't going away - it's the easiest way for a school to meet title 9 numbers and it's the most popular female sport. Even men's soccer has only lost two teams so far. Golf, tennis, rowing and some other less popular sports are the ones getting cut at some schools. Next year may see more cuts as schools get through the initial struggles of getting the school year going. With less money in the budget to recruit ECNL showcases will stay a top event for college coaches because they're so efficient. Also don't forget that for many middle to upper income soccer families the goal is getting into better schools, not just the hope of $ to play.

That said plenty of families are reprioritizing how they spend their $, what their player's goals are. For sure some players will drop out or drop back to something that costs less. There will always be others to fill in spots, but some clubs will struggle if they're not delivering a good service to their customers.

Comment

Of course they're still doing their jobs, but that doesn't mean ID events, visits and offers are going to get back on track anytime soon. Many students -athletes and regular - are taking this year off because school isn't school, they can't play, or they can't afford it. If a coach has even two players he still really wants who defer a year, he won't give those spots up for new players he hasn't even seen play yet.

Comment

College coaches are going to recruit the same 6-8 players in 2021. What they are going to do is figure out how many players are returning next year from their senior class. Some will be taking an extra semester or doing Grad school. Then they will have conversations with their bottom 6-8 players and let them know they can stay in the team but will not play in games and not travel. As for scholarships that will depend on the school. Most seniors that return will do so with out scholarship money if D1 or D2.

Comment

College coaches are going to recruit the same 6-8 players in 2021. What they are going to do is figure out how many players are returning next year from their senior class. Some will be taking an extra semester or doing Grad school. Then they will have conversations with their bottom 6-8 players and let them know they can stay in the team but will not play in games and not travel. As for scholarships that will depend on the school. Most seniors that return will do so with out scholarship money if D1 or D2.
                          Do you really think a school/coach will take away a senior's money in their last year? I find that hard to believe. It would be a really crappy thing to do as the students need to finish their degrees and have basically no chance to transfer elsewhere. Bottom players weren't getting much $ anyway and probably wouldn't be surprised by those conversations, but top players would be.

Coaches are mostly done with 21s - if they haven't recruited their usual 6-8 they'll just go with the 4 they've probably already locked in, who were their top picks anyway, and move on to the 22s. The 22s aren't out of the woods because of deferrals and who knows what will happen this year with showcases etc

Comment

Friend's D was to start as a freshman at a D1 and just took a PG year because of all the unknowns.
                            Soccer is that important. Your privilege is showing

Comment

Any seniors returning may not get the scholarship they were given for the previous years that is up to the coach and is allowed by the NCAA.Also they allowed teams to keep more players on scholarship without it counting against them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X