Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State Cup Round of 16 Scheduled on SAT Test Date!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Get a clue. My son's SAT went up by 150 points between the 1st and 3rd time it was taken. The test is very coachable. He got into the Ivy Leagues. He played competitive soccer through High School but does not play at college.

My daughter will take her first SAT test in January as a Junior. She would take another in May, and take the subject tests in June. She is also trying to place into Ivy Leagues but the SAT influences college choice for all students. By the way, she is in Calc B/C as a Junior so I find your argument invalid.

If she still needs better scores to get accepted or non-Ivy scholarships at her preferred colleges, she will take the SAT again in October and additional subject tests in November.

Go back to yelling at your kid on the sidelines and thinking that soccer is his top priority.

FYSA, how could you botch date selection by taking 2 SAT dates away from our state's top soccer players?
    Everyone understands if your kid misses soccer for SAT/ACT. ACDC tournament was on SAT date. The older teams were missing players. Every weekend is soccer. I get you don't want to let the team down but 1 State Cup game is not important in terms of your kid's college and life.

Comment

Everyone understands if your kid misses soccer for SAT/ACT.
      I don't believe that. If the team loses a State Cup Round of 16 game they expected to win and the team was missing a couple starters due to SAT tests, those players will be chastised by the team and coaches for a whole year.

Comment

I don't believe that. If the team loses a State Cup Round of 16 game they expected to win and the team was missing a couple starters due to SAT tests, those players will be chastised by the team and coaches for a whole year.
        A whole damn year! They might not make it back onto the team the next year.

Comment

Seriously? The kid will be a rising U18, right? On a team that can't get past round of 16 without him/her? And you're more concerned about them being chastised by teammates than taking SAT's? Stop and think about your priorities for a second before hitting the reply button again. By U18 the kid is either already committed or their soccer career is over. Nothing is more important by spring of Junior year than SAT's.

Comment

Most of the time the U17 and U18 games are played later in the day to account for the SAT. Also, if you're that concerned about missing the game schedule your kid to take the SAT closer to where you're round of 16 game will be played. That way they can take the test and still make it to the game. Just a thought.

Comment

If your ability to pre-plan and successfully schedule competing priorities is so poor that you can't manage to take your SATs *and* play State Cup without this kind of drama, I doubt you're destined for much in the way of success anyway. Seriously, life gets a lot more complicated and conflicted than this. If *this* trips you up...[shakes head].

Comment

Your information is inaccurate. There are only 7 SAT Test Dates each year. With more and more colleges requiring SAT Subject Tests, a student usually is encouraged to test on at least 4 dates. Here are recommendations for my independent school:

Oct 11: Test Day (Encouraged for Seniors, especially those applying Early Decision)
                Nov 8: Test Day (Seniors should take subject tests required by desired colleges)
                Dec 6: Test Day (Seniors should take if need to improve scores)
                Jan 24: Test Day
                Mar 14: Test Day (Encouraged for Juniors)
                May 2: Test Day (Encouraged for Juniors to take subject tests)
                June 6: Test Day

Given School Choice, it is not uncommon for a student to take 4 SATs and 2 Subject tests. For those with Early Decision requirements, this makes May 2nd a required test date.

Given FYSA caters to student age participants, they should understand the impact of these dates.
                If you are waiting for state cup time (spring) to take a SAT then your kid is in trouble especially if they are a senior. Take it in the fall and have them miss a league game ... or study during the week and have them miss their HS game 1 week night and take it that Sat.
                As a coach that has coached senior players for over 10 yrs, this has never been an issue with any of my players

Comment

Seriously? The kid will be a rising U18, right? On a team that can't get past round of 16 without him/her? And you're more concerned about them being chastised by teammates than taking SAT's? Stop and think about your priorities for a second before hitting the reply button again. By U18 the kid is either already committed or their soccer career is over. Nothing is more important by spring of Junior year than SAT's.
                  No, what's amazingly stupid is that FYSA did not think about it. They picked the one weekend? Seriously? Just stupid on their part.

Comment

No, what's amazingly stupid is that FYSA did not think about it. They picked the one weekend? Seriously? Just stupid on their part.
                    There are two weekends between second round and finals. May 2, and the rain date. How would you have scheduled it?

Comment

No, what's amazingly stupid is thinking the date of the SAT is the only thing one needs to consider when scheduling a high-level state-wide tournament involving hundreds of teams at dozens of locations across the state. And when I say "amazingly stupid," I mean *AMAZINGLY* stupid.

Comment

What is the difference between "event first round part 1" and "event first round part 2"?

Do seeded teams skip part 1, and play part 2? Or do they skip right to second round part 1 or part 2?

Comment

What is the difference between "event first round part 1" and "event first round part 2"?

Do seeded teams skip part 1, and play part 2? Or do they skip right to second round part 1 or part 2?
                          US Soccer is only allowing one game to be played per day now; so, Event part 1 and part 2 allows 3 - 4 games to be played across two weekends.

FYSA has not yet released how they will treat seeding with this new "regional" format required by US Soccer in Round 1.

Comment

No, what's amazingly stupid is thinking the date of the SAT is the only thing one needs to consider when scheduling a high-level state-wide tournament involving hundreds of teams at dozens of locations across the state. And when I say "amazingly stupid," I mean *AMAZINGLY* stupid.
                            What about proms?

Comment

US Soccer is only allowing one game to be played per day now; so, Event part 1 and part 2 allows 3 - 4 games to be played across two weekends.

FYSA has not yet released how they will treat seeding with this new "regional" format required by US Soccer in Round 1.
                              Hopeful seeded teams get home field games in the first rounds

Comment

What about proms?
                                Well, at least a u17 they don't have to sweat the "high level" part since teams won't be at full strength. Congratulations!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X