Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    1. First of all I want parents to be realistic about their kid's talents. You kid is most definitely not going pro and most likely will not play in college; He or she are not good enough. No amount of coaching can compensate for a lack of talent.

2, Stop coaching from the side lines!!! I tell my players what formations to play and our strategy and then you give your kid conflicting information. Cheer your kids on.

3. Stop screaming at every off side, foul, PK that does not go your way.

4. PAY YOUR TRAVEL FEES, TOURNAMENT FEES, CLUB FEES WHAT EVER ON TIME. I AM SICK AND TIRED OF DELIQUENT PARENTS THAT THEY CAN PLAY WHEN EVER THEY WANT WHEN THEY WANT. TORUNAMENTS WANT THEIR MONEY NOW. WE CAN NOT PAY HALF NOW AND HALF LATER.

5. If you do not like me as a coach or our team...THEN PLEASE LEAVE!!!!! STOP BEING A CANCER ON THE TEAM. WE WILL BE JUST FINE WITH OUT YOUR KID
    Dumbest post ever read. What the hell do your care about the kids parents. Are the parents playing on the field or the kid? Coach should be looking for players that can play at the level he is coaching. The kids parents (unless there is a history of abuse to coaches or kid can make it to anything) should not really be a priority. If you were a good coach those things would be easy to handle.

Comment

Not a Job

Almost all of the coaches don't do this for money but the love of the game. However do not think it has not become a job at some level. Parents have become way too involved which requires coaches to spend way too much time putting out fires and dealing with politics. The money they do make is usually less than minimum wage when you add up all the hours they put in.
      Coaching kids is not a job. How misguided are coaches sucking the scraps off of the end of the table for a few dollars and calling it a job. Coaching kids is something that you do to give back to the game and help the next generation of players.

However this is still not a job. Jobs are not fun. Playing soccer with kids is.

Comment

I have coached for years and I can tell you that you can tell as early as age 7 who really has talent. Kids that were great at 7,8,9,10 years old stay great at 17,18,19 years old. I have never seen a mediocre kid at age 8 become a star talent at age 18[/QUOTE]

What a load of crap! Soccer is a late entry sport....that mediocre 8 year old could have talent, but never gets the chance because of coaches like you and team politics. Why don't you try training ALL the kids, not just the ones YOU think have talent, and see who the player is at 16.

Comment

I never said do not reach high, do not have unrealistic expectations. Look I like to draw but I will never be an artist no matter if Picasso him self was my coach. I have no talent. Sure I can get decent at best but talent trumps everything. The reality is the majority of kids do not have the talent to be D1 or DII and definitely will not go pro

I have coached for years and I can tell you that you can tell as early as age 7 who really has talent. Kids that were great at 7,8,9,10 years old stay great at 17,18,19 years old. I have never seen a mediocre kid at age 8 become a star talent at age 18
          I have to disagree with you on your last statement. So you're saying that if a kid isn't good at 8 he will never be good? That's crazy! Kids develop their skills at different rates. Some kids peak early and never get better but some kids grow and become faster and stronger over the years. Your thoughts are why OPD doesn't work. If you make the ODP team 13 I guess you will always be better then the rest of the kids? Even though you don't grow an inch and you are still at the same speed?

Comment

Volunteer

Coaching kids is not a job. How misguided are coaches sucking the scraps off of the end of the table for a few dollars and calling it a job. Coaching kids is something that you do to give back to the game and help the next generation of players.
            I was watching the Little League World Series the other week and none of those coaches got paid. So when did soccer coaching become a job? Do coaches charge in Pop Warner Football?

Comment

Spoken like a parent who spends a lot of money/time on soccer and feels they are entitled. If you are not happy with your coach/club then leave. It's easy. Coaches shouldn't have to figure out parents personalities and how to deal with them. That's not their job.
              When you spend money and time and effort, why not feel the entitlement? In't that the natural expectation? Why did you take the money?

I am very happy with our current coach, no reason for us to leave yet. But the club, I am not sure, it can improve a lot, but I have not much to gain from it, too late. Improvement is for their own business vision and benefit, Would help for our community and future kids/generation.

There are many articles on guiding coaches on how to deal with Community based sports programs and how to utilise parents as support resource/ collaboration than pushing them away/ avoidance. Go do some research and help yourself to be a better coach.

Why you should quit coaching: see the supporting evidence from "just a coach" referenced document:
              Most experts and scholars agree that it is the attitudes and behaviors of coaches that determine the quality of the adolescent’s sport experience. Treasure (2007) writes: “The educational value of athletics is largely dependent on how the activity is structured, and in general, that means what the coach chooses to teach and model” (p. 33). Lopiano (1986) stated that possessing a teaching credential was not a self-evident qualification to
              coach. Other scholars suggest non-trained coaches may do an adequate job teaching sport-specific skills (Sabock & Chandler-Garvin, 1986); however, they are likely deficient in other areas such as organizing practices, planning and implementing conditioning programs, caring for and preventing injuries, and using age-appropriate motivation techniques. Smith and Smoll (1996) added that positive coaching skills are learned through systemic
              coaching education programs

Comment

I have coached for years and I can tell you that you can tell as early as age 7 who really has talent. Kids that were great at 7,8,9,10 years old stay great at 17,18,19 years old. I have never seen a mediocre kid at age 8 become a star talent at age 18

What a load of crap! Soccer is a late entry sport....that mediocre 8 year old could have talent, but never gets the chance because of coaches like you and team politics. Why don't you try training ALL the kids, not just the ones YOU think have talent, and see who the player is at 16.[/QUOTE]

Best post. Thank you.

Comment

What a load of crap! Soccer is a late entry sport....that mediocre 8 year old could have talent, but never gets the chance because of coaches like you and team politics. Why don't you try training ALL the kids, not just the ones YOU think have talent, and see who the player is at 16.
                  Best post. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

are the coaches volunteers or are they employed by the "parents" ?

Comment

To answer the original OP, would anything change your post if the coach:

1) Hardly ever teaches tactics to the kids yet feels he can scream at every kid when the team doesn't play well despite having good players

2) Doesn't work on hardly anything during the week or gives the team a playing philosophy

3) Picks on certain kids more than others to the point of shattering their confidence or makes them play nervous

4) Cannot make up his mind about playing time or subs and destroys the team in mid competition

5) Refuses to listen to parents or discuss his wrong decisions even when it has clearly hurt the team

6) Has no creativity in his weekly training or runs the same practice week after week

7) Picks the wrong tournaments to play in or doesn't give the kids proper competition to grow

8) Cannot control himself or conducts himself like a professional from the sidelines

I could go on !

So the OP thinks he can dictate the rules when there are coaches out there that are not doing their jobs ?

OK, let's all just pay and shut our mouths while there are coaches out there like I described roaming the countryside....

Comment

And what's yelling from the sidelines going to accomplish?

Comment

And what's yelling from the sidelines going to accomplish?
                        Yelling or no-yelling does not matter. Throwing a banana from the audience to the players does not matter. As long as the Coach has what it takes to train the players to overcome these un-avoidable, un-controllable real life realities. Good-training results in good player development-player self-confidence and mental toughness. Good coaching decisions result in good player performance. Good player performance promotes good parent behaviour. Good parent behaviour gets more demand for that coach and command better respect. It is all relative.
                        Most coaches who avoid parents also lack self-confidence and inferior complex issue. Most likely they will keep telling parents to Leave the team if you are not happy, but will not return their fees.

Comment

Spot On

Yelling or no-yelling does not matter. Throwing a banana from the audience to the players does not matter. As long as the Coach has what it takes to train the players to overcome these un-avoidable, un-controllable real life realities. Good-training results in good player development-player self-confidence and mental toughness. Good coaching decisions result in good player performance. Good player performance promotes good parent behaviour. Good parent behaviour gets more demand for that coach and command better respect. It is all relative.
                          Most coaches who avoid parents also lack self-confidence and inferior complex issue. Most likely they will keep telling parents to Leave the team if you are not happy, but will not return their fees.
                          This statement could not be anymore spot on.

Comment

Of course, yelling matters. Good player performance promotes good parent behavior? So if the coaching doesn't meet your expectations, you're going to have a fit? Seriously, go back and read your own post. You are exactly why coaches don't get involved with parents.

Comment

When you spend money and time and effort, why not feel the entitlement? In't that the natural expectation? Why did you take the money?

I am very happy with our current coach, no reason for us to leave yet. But the club, I am not sure, it can improve a lot, but I have not much to gain from it, too late. Improvement is for their own business vision and benefit, Would help for our community and future kids/generation.

There are many articles on guiding coaches on how to deal with Community based sports programs and how to utilise parents as support resource/ collaboration than pushing them away/ avoidance. Go do some research and help yourself to be a better coach.

Why you should quit coaching: see the supporting evidence from "just a coach" referenced document:
                              Most experts and scholars agree that it is the attitudes and behaviors of coaches that determine the quality of the adolescent’s sport experience. Treasure (2007) writes: “The educational value of athletics is largely dependent on how the activity is structured, and in general, that means what the coach chooses to teach and model” (p. 33). Lopiano (1986) stated that possessing a teaching credential was not a self-evident qualification to
                              coach. Other scholars suggest non-trained coaches may do an adequate job teaching sport-specific skills (Sabock & Chandler-Garvin, 1986); however, they are likely deficient in other areas such as organizing practices, planning and implementing conditioning programs, caring for and preventing injuries, and using age-appropriate motivation techniques. Smith and Smoll (1996) added that positive coaching skills are learned through systemic
                              coaching education programs
                              Money, time, and effort should entitle your child to good training. That's it. It does not entitle your child to playing time. It does not entitle parents to coach from the side and yell at the referee's. It does noes not entitle parents to create a negative enviroment on the sideline. Which spreads to the kids. This is sports not Walmart or a restaurant where everyone is treated equal when you buy something. My guess is that 99% of these post are coming from parents who have never coached or taught their entire lives yet feel they know more than the coach/teachers. Welcome to the new generation of entitlement.

Comment

Of course, yelling matters. Good player performance promotes good parent behavior? So if the coaching doesn't meet your expectations, you're going to have a fit? Seriously, go back and read your own post. You are exactly why coaches don't get involved with parents.
                                Coaches who refused to collaborate with parents are known to have quit or lost their edge over years. I know a few coaches, they exist who are excellent in what they are doing, good motivators and people personalities. They are also highly successful in their off-the field life.
                                There can be parents who can have all sort of fit and yelling problems. Assumption here is: THE COACH is trained and educated to deal with that. If he is not, does he/she belong there to be incharge of a team of KIDS?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X