Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    right on! The best coaches know how to DEVELOP 8 year olds, what a load of BS that if a kid isn't the best at 8 here he/she will never be good- obviously this coach doesn't know how to develop really good players-- there ARE coaches that canh take almost any motivated 8 year old and over the years easily get them to the college level , just a fact.
    No sir you are a moron. YOu completely miss the point. YOu develop 8 years WITH TALENT. No amount of training, coaching , will make a no talent kid into a great player. You need talent to work with. Like I said you can see talent really early in age.

Let me put it to you another way. You have two kids one is great a drawing and already draws and the other can not draw stick figures. No amount of professional art training will make the second kid into an artist but the first kid with the proper training and development can me made into great artist. Leonardo Da Vinic himself can not develop the second kid.[/QUOTE]

well the problem is you are simply judging "talent" by the fastest 8 year old runner- like many older USA coaches, your not alone

our own kid wasn't the fastest at age 8 , not slow or uncoordinated, just was shorter younger and not faster then the kids 10 months older (not that speed is the only thing w=you should be looking at) but it was pretty clear he was the best on the ball-- so you probably wouldn't have picked him as top talent

almost 10 year later (with lots of training from great technical coaches that wanted to work with him (ex pro, national team) he is at an extremely high level and very well known-- he was NOT born that way, he was developed and worked hard (including getting stronger faster post puberty and with athletic training too)- so your premise doesn't hold up from personal experience

finally, ive been to some of the top youth academies overseas, youd be surprised- some kids are yea absolute speed demons, others aren't, the coaches are looking at exceptional skills in various areas when they select, speed being only one thing, particularly if the kid is still maturing physically

also, from talking to the parents of other academy players etc, there is almost always a personal trainer or club coach paying extra attention involved in elit players- its not just nature.

Comment

No sir you are a moron. YOu completely miss the point. YOu develop 8 years WITH TALENT. No amount of training, coaching , will make a no talent kid into a great player. You need talent to work with. Like I said you can see talent really early in age.

Let me put it to you another way. You have two kids one is great a drawing and already draws and the other can not draw stick figures. No amount of professional art training will make the second kid into an artist but the first kid with the proper training and development can me made into great artist. Leonardo Da Vinic himself can not develop the second kid.
      well the problem is you are simply judging "talent" by the fastest 8 year old runner- like many older USA coaches, your not alone

our own kid wasn't the fastest at age 8 , not slow or uncoordinated, just was shorter younger and not faster then the kids 10 months older (not that speed is the only thing w=you should be looking at) but it was pretty clear he was the best on the ball-- so you probably wouldn't have picked him as top talent

almost 10 year later (with lots of training from great technical coaches that wanted to work with him (ex pro, national team) he is at an extremely high level and very well known-- he was NOT born that way, he was developed and worked hard (including getting stronger faster post puberty and with athletic training too)- so your premise doesn't hold up from personal experience

finally, ive been to some of the top youth academies overseas, youd be surprised- some kids are yea absolute speed demons, others aren't, the coaches are looking at exceptional skills in various areas when they select, speed being only one thing, particularly if the kid is still maturing physically

also, from talking to the parents of other academy players etc, there is almost always a personal trainer or club coach paying extra attention involved in elit players- its not just nature.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely do not judge talent by the fastest kid at 8 years old you are making assumptions. I have picked chubby slow kids because I know they will grow into their bodies with the proper athletic life style. The #1 thing I look at is first touch skills. can you settle the ball or do you have the first touch of a brick wall Everything comes from your first touch. You an work on it but superior 1st touch is a gift.

Comment

also, from talking to the parents of other academy players etc, there is almost always a personal trainer or club coach paying extra attention involved in elit players- its not just nature.
        I absolutely do not judge talent by the fastest kid at 8 years old you are making assumptions. I have picked chubby slow kids because I know they will grow into their bodies with the proper athletic life style. The #1 thing I look at is first touch skills. can you settle the ball or do you have the first touch of a brick wall Everything comes from your first touch. You an work on it but superior 1st touch is a gift.[/QUOTE]

Oh the next thing I look for is creativity and soccer awareness and intelligence

Comment

I absolutely do not judge talent by the fastest kid at 8 years old you are making assumptions. I have picked chubby slow kids because I know they will grow into their bodies with the proper athletic life style. The #1 thing I look at is first touch skills. can you settle the ball or do you have the first touch of a brick wall Everything comes from your first touch. You an work on it but superior 1st touch is a gift.
          Oh the next thing I look for is creativity and soccer awareness and intelligence[/QUOTE]

Well we are in more agreement then- it seemed like you were looking primarily at 8 year old speed as almost everything in my reading of your first post, but may be mistaken.

I still say though to give hard working 8 year olds a chance -maybe not the next messi but with coaches that believe in you and good training a really good level (ie college) I think can be attained over many years for many 8!year olds that not the best now- their muscular skill and touch can still be developed for many years past age 8.

Comment

Let me put it to you another way. You have two kids one is great a drawing and already draws and the other can not draw stick figures. No amount of professional art training will make the second kid into an artist but the first kid with the proper training and development can me made into great artist. Leonardo Da Vinic himself can not develop the second kid.

also, from talking to the parents of other academy players etc, there is almost always a personal trainer or club coach paying extra attention involved in elit players- its not just nature.[/QUOTE]

What is a talent?

Comment

i agree with the coach first touch is crucial. Kids that have a good first touch at early ages have an advantage and can play better. My son's team have very fast kids but they cannot control a ball and they can't stay on the field because they loose the ball, cannot porotect the ball have poor first touch because all they want to do is run playing kick and chase. The kid that can control and protect the ball until they find a passing lane are the smartest kid on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Just a Coach View Post

What is a talent?[/QUOTE]

What is intelligence?

Comment

Good point you can not tell us what is talent or intelligence can you lol . Same applies to coaches or parents or anyone.

Comment

i agree with the coach first touch is crucial. Kids that have a good first touch at early ages have an advantage and can play better. My son's team have very fast kids but they cannot control a ball and they can't stay on the field because they loose the ball, cannot porotect the ball have poor first touch because all they want to do is run playing kick and chase. The kid that can control and protect the ball until they find a passing lane are the smartest kid on the field.
                    Would think when selecting a coach would look at combination of attributes/skills, and possessing more would be good, including: first touch, size, speed, quick and accurate decision making, composure in game, being a team player, right fit for a position or versatility,

Comment

When parents select a coach look for the right combination of skill, decision making, and composure.

Comment

When parents select a coach look for the right combination of skill, decision making, and composure.
                        For lower age groups, when there is "Tryouts" for players, can there be tryouts for coaches?
                        Say all coaches come and demonstrate their skills, communication abilities, past record/references, parent/player reviews, why they ended up coaching as their career....etc?

Comment

For lower age groups, when there is "Tryouts" for players, can there be tryouts for coaches?
                          Say all coaches come and demonstrate their skills, communication abilities, past record/references, parent/player reviews, why they ended up coaching as their career....etc?
                          Do your homework, Google the coach/parent.

Comment

Love to see this lol !

Comment

What is a talent?
                              What is intelligence?[/QUOTE]

Let me stress I refer to soccer intelligence not school intelligence. Some brilliant students simply do not have soccer smarts. Talent is talent and you see it at try outs.

I had a great player for several years that went on to college and he was an ice man and never got rattled on the pitch and was one of the few that could handle pressure and get of passes all the time. I asked him how he did it?

He said, "Coach IDK but for me the game is like in slow motion. It looks like I have no time but I fell like I have all day. And I know where are all my players are on the field at any given time"

You can not teach that it is a gift. What you can do is fine tune his game with proper coaching

Comment

What is intelligence?
                                Let me stress I refer to soccer intelligence not school intelligence. Some brilliant students simply do not have soccer smarts. Talent is talent and you see it at try outs.

I had a great player for several years that went on to college and he was an ice man and never got rattled on the pitch and was one of the few that could handle pressure and get of passes all the time. I asked him how he did it?

He said, "Coach IDK but for me the game is like in slow motion. It looks like I have no time but I fell like I have all day. And I know where are all my players are on the field at any given time"

You can not teach that it is a gift. What you can do is fine tune his game with proper coaching[/QUOTE]

Was he a product of talent and intelligence and hard work and mentors? Did he make it to the pros? Picasso's early works looked childish to some and like many artists his talent matured over time. Some did not appreciate his gift and some still do not. People, why do we have to go through this every month on TS?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X