Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Some games feel more like tennis volleys, back and forth with boot ball.

Our HS team has a decent number of club players, a good club GK and a club coach. They play out the back often and it drives some of the parents CRAZY. Their comments just make me laugh and laugh and laugh
    Those parents don't get it, they are probably the ones yelling "boot it". The problem is the long ball works in ulittles when 1-2 big kids dominate. They associate winning with "send it". Long term it is a losers mentality.

Comment

Those parents don't get it, they are probably the ones yelling "boot it". The problem is the long ball works in ulittles when 1-2 big kids dominate. They associate winning with "send it". Long term it is a losers mentality.
      Although playing out of the back and mixing in a long ball now and then works as well if that suits the makeup of the team.

Comment

I've seen U9 boys teams that can play out of the back a few months after their club team forms. Your premise is downright silly.
        Couple of things horribly wrong with this post.
        Most pro squads do not play out of the back
        8 yr olds are not capable playing out of the back. They should not be taught how to play out of the back at this age-nothing but ball control skills.
        Watching a u9 team play on Sundays with an opposing team waiting to attack that first touch does not count.
        I have been attacked as a moron for pointing out the obvious, but I appreciate you taking the mantle back.

Ps. What teams and coaches have you seen do this? Guardiola is always looking for coaches and players

Comment

8 yr olds are not capable playing out of the back. They should not be taught how to play out of the back at this age-nothing but ball control skills.

I have been attacked as a moron for pointing out the obvious, but I appreciate you taking the mantle back.
          The entire point of playing out of the back at that age is to build up your skills. There's no skill in running after a ball. At the maximum, there is a skill for the speedy forward and nobody else. So, yes, you are teaching ALL players to play with the ball vs. run after it. We'll just ignore the fact rare is the 8-year old kid who can clear a dead ball beyond midfield anyway.

Don't sell yourself short. I think you can carry the mantle for a while.

Comment

Seriously, is this a joke? To put it into perspective for all of the non soccer people reading this, in American football should we just get rid of the running game and only work the passing game because it goes farther faster and we won’t potentially be giving up the ball closer to our own end zone?
            If you have the running backs and offensive line (ie. City, Barca, etc) then that is a fine approach.
            If you’re short quality at those positions, then it falls flat (ie. Every team in the world except the top 6)
            You’d rather turn it over at midfield, wouldn’t you?
            And the funniest thing of all, is that if all else fails in american football, you PUNT. Haaahaaa!!

Of course, there is always the u9 teams at Lancaster to show us all how to do it

Comment

The entire point of playing out of the back at that age is to build up your skills. There's no skill in running after a ball. At the maximum, there is a skill for the speedy forward and nobody else. So, yes, you are teaching ALL players to play with the ball vs. run after it. We'll just ignore the fact rare is the 8-year old kid who can clear a dead ball beyond midfield anyway.

Don't sell yourself short. I think you can carry the mantle for a while.
              I believe that a refresher is sorely needed on just what 8 yr olds are capable of on the pitch.
              I see that everyone has bought the line...how’s it working out

Comment

It's a widely held opinion the US player lacks the skill to compete and win a men's World Cup; and the rest of the world has caught up to the Women's because they can no longer win by being the biggest and baddest out there.

So, to be clear, you are advocating more the same? We know the approach doesn't work, so you want to double-down on it?

Comment

Watching a u9 team play on Sundays with an opposing team waiting to attack that first touch does not count.

Ps. What teams and coaches have you seen do this? Guardiola is always looking for coaches and players
                  You forgot to mention that U8/9 have a buildout line (opposing players can't cross line until ball is played out of the box) that allows players to learn how to build out from the back without immediate pressure. Makes it easier. That goes away at U11/9v9, thus you see many more teams shift to long balls.

Comment

Although playing out of the back and mixing in a long ball now and then works as well if that suits the makeup of the team.
                    Of course there are times where it's appropriate. My favorite is our HS GK dad who yells "nice punt" if his kid's shot crosses the center line, where it inevitably is picked off by the opposing team.

Comment

Of course there are times where it's appropriate. My favorite is our HS GK dad who yells "nice punt" if his kid's shot crosses the center line, where it inevitably is picked off by the opposing team.
                      And right back at us they come.

Hope everyone enjoyed that 3-second break, because they are coming at us again.

Comment

Premier U9 teams at quality organizations are taught to play out of the back and are doing so by the time spring rolls around regardless of whether you have witnessed it or not. Why would keep them from being able to? Ball controls skills are something they will be taught for many years to come but once they get down the basics of receiving and are taught about open space and looking up and passing to the open foot, bringing it out of the back is the next natural progression. You're watching a lot lower level of soccer than I do if you think its impossible. My own kid is not top tier so it took his team until spring of U10 to get the knack of doing it but its not as remarkable as you make it out to be.

Comment

And right back at us they come.

Hope everyone enjoyed that 3-second break, because they are coming at us again.
                          At least it’s at midfield so you have time to step your defenders up.
                          Or you may prefer to give away at your 18..

Comment

Hope they enjoyed that 3 second break, because they are coming back again and you still don't have the ball. And, now you are stretched out and have gaps all over.

I'd prefer we dribble & pass out of pressure at the 18 in a cohesive unit and make them chase for a while.

You rest when you have the ball, and you chase while you are defending.

Basic athletics.

Comment

Yeah, the punts are getting cheered for long after the ball has already been turned over and is making its way towards the net of the goalie who just booted it.

Comment

Sounds like Big Sam is in the house!

Coaching resume a mile long and a failure at every turn.....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X