Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Troll alert. Or moron alert at the very least. Don't feed either.
    You are in love with a system that will never work in this country. We can’t find midfielders who can handle a ball, nevermind keepers.
    There are maybe a 1/2 dozen teams in the world who play successfully out of the back and 2 of them were/are coached by Guardiola. 6 teams x 4 defenders = 24 players: you know the names.
    Fast forwards and strong mids can shut that down every time. A 4-3-3 will take care of that. And if you watch carefully, you will see the defenders ultimately play the ball long as they get pressured.
    As for keeper passes, I can distribute sideways all day to backs and pad the accuracy stats.
    I didn’t say it wasn’t pretty, but you have to be joking if you think that will work in our country

We need to identify our system of play in this country, but we have far too many differing points of view. Spain plays like Spain; we will never play like Spain, so stop trying to imitate them.

Comment

Troll alert. Or moron alert at the very least. Don't feed either.
      The true morons are the clowns who post about their club coaches and their kids every minute.
      There is rarely a gratifying discussion regarding style of play. A differing, thoughtful view does not a moron or troll make.
      Another reason we will never make the top of the list.

Comment

The true morons are the clowns who post about their club coaches and their kids every minute.
        There is rarely a gratifying discussion regarding style of play. A differing, thoughtful view does not a moron or troll make.
        Another reason we will never make the top of the list.

LOL differing, thoughtful view.....

Comment

Poster did provide his/her reasoning.
          What is yours?

Comment

Are you in the boot it camp or the one that leads to loss of possession in your third and easy goals?
            Not much middle ground, huh. (See the pun?)

Comment

Poster did provide his/her reasoning.
              What is yours?
              My opinion is the game is much more enjoyable to watch and play when you play with a ball vs. running after it. It takes little skill to latch onto long balls. You run yourself out of the game.

If I wanted to watch ball-chasing, I have a dog for that.

It's rare to have a team who can play only one way, you have to have a Plan B. But, running from the problem and advocating abandoning skillfull, meaningfull possession because we can't is a defeatist attitude.

Besides, I played years in the back and I wanted to play too.

Comment

My opinion is the game is much more enjoyable to watch and play when you play with a ball vs. running after it. It takes little skill to latch onto long balls. You run yourself out of the game.

If I wanted to watch ball-chasing, I have a dog for that.

It's rare to have a team who can play only one way, you have to have a Plan B. But, running from the problem and advocating abandoning skillfull, meaningfull possession because we can't is a defeatist attitude.

Besides, I played years in the back and I wanted to play too.
                Some games feel more like tennis volleys, back and forth with boot ball.

Our HS team has a decent number of club players, a good club GK and a club coach. They play out the back often and it drives some of the parents CRAZY. Their comments just make me laugh and laugh and laugh

Comment

You are in love with a system that will never work in this country. We can’t find midfielders who can handle a ball, nevermind keepers.
                  There are maybe a 1/2 dozen teams in the world who play successfully out of the back and 2 of them were/are coached by Guardiola. 6 teams x 4 defenders = 24 players: you know the names.
                  Fast forwards and strong mids can shut that down every time. A 4-3-3 will take care of that. And if you watch carefully, you will see the defenders ultimately play the ball long as they get pressured.
                  As for keeper passes, I can distribute sideways all day to backs and pad the accuracy stats.
                  I didn’t say it wasn’t pretty, but you have to be joking if you think that will work in our country

We need to identify our system of play in this country, but we have far too many differing points of view. Spain plays like Spain; we will never play like Spain, so stop trying to imitate them.
                  I've seen U9 boys teams that can play out of the back a few months after their club team forms. Your premise is downright silly.

Comment

Some games feel more like tennis volleys, back and forth with boot ball.

Our HS team has a decent number of club players, a good club GK and a club coach. They play out the back often and it drives some of the parents CRAZY. Their comments just make me laugh and laugh and laugh
                    And, I admit, I grew into the opinion. After growing up in a long ball environment, as I aged I played with better players. Center midfield was hilarious, and he'd get so riled up watching the ball go back and forth over him. He'd make some funny comments: "What, do I have dogsh!t on my shoe?" He once sat down in protest on the center dot and said he wasn't needed.

Over time, the game became a lot more enjoyable and much easier to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                      And, I admit, I grew into the opinion. After growing up in a long ball environment, as I aged I played with better players. Center midfield was hilarious, and he'd get so riled up watching the ball go back and forth over him. He'd make some funny comments: "What, do I have dogsh!t on my shoe?" He once sat down in protest on the center dot and said he wasn't needed.

Over time, the game became a lot more enjoyable and much easier to play.
                      Maybe you needed a better CM.

Comment

Maybe you needed a better CM.
                        Maybe. He certainly wasn't the most fit guy out there, but boy did he have touch. Bottomline is we learned to play intelligently, and the enjoyment level followed.

Comment

Anybody watching Arsenal putting themselves under tremendous pressure by constantly trying to have keeper and defenders play out of the back? Even the Arsenal supporters cheered a proper clearance.
                          This tactic is a flash in the pan by Guardiola attempting to make a name for himself as he has the best players to do it
                          And now we have all the u10s lining up like a German wolfpack at mid field to steal any wayward pass they can.
                          Give me 3 hard working forwards and 1 mid and I’ll never let you get the ball out of the back.
                          What a stupid tactic...especially for American soccer
                          Seriously, is this a joke? To put it into perspective for all of the non soccer people reading this, in American football should we just get rid of the running game and only work the passing game because it goes farther faster and we won’t potentially be giving up the ball closer to our own end zone?

Comment

Seriously, is this a joke? To put it into perspective for all of the non soccer people reading this, in American football should we just get rid of the running game and only work the passing game because it goes farther faster and we won’t potentially be giving up the ball closer to our own end zone?
                            I typically hate the football v soccer analogies, but in this context is works.

Possession is about ball control, which is equivalent to the running game in football.

Long balls and long passes are great if they connect. I had a friend who's thought was the pass that beats the most amount of players is the most effective. If it was successful.

Comment

Want proof of why playing out of back is more fun? Watch a pick-up soccer game involving adults with a bit of a clue of how to play. If the game becomes a run-and-gun counterattack affair, the goalposts get moved closer to encourage mid-field play. It's just no fun to kick it to the fast(er) guy and watch him go in on goal. It IS fun to pass the ball, try to keep the ball, move within space--that is why soccer exists!
                              How will American soccer get better? When more kids keep playing because it is FUN, and play on their own. As bad as we may be at imitating Guardiola's extreme example, it is much more enjoyable to play that way than playing "send it" soccer. (Although sometimes you do have to clear your lines! Wait, did I just undermine my whole argument?)

Comment

Good analogy.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X