Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    What happens to all of these kids once the reach the dream of playing D1 Soccer...the dream comes to a grinding halt....then they just end up in the real world like everyone else...seems sad really...
    There are 3 generations of D1 athletes in my family and I can safely say that collectively we are millions of dollars ahead in the game of life. Unfortunately you are obviously way too bitter about your own lack of success to see that the playing days are just the foundation. You can start by just counting up all of the free educations but in the end the real measure is all of the doors that were opened as a result and all of the money they generated. It's a shame you missed the boat so badly, maybe that explains why you have so much time to haunt this website and post so foolishness.

Comment

There are 3 generations of D1 athletes in my family and I can safely say that collectively we are millions of dollars ahead in the game of life. Unfortunately you are obviously way too bitter about your own lack of success to see that the playing days are just the foundation. You can start by just counting up all of the free educations but in the end the real measure is all of the doors that were opened as a result and all of the money they generated. It's a shame you missed the boat so badly, maybe that explains why you have so much time to haunt this website and post so foolishness.
      Why the nastiness? Is it necessary?

Usually people as successful and talented as you are very generous towards their less fortunate peers. Are you not as secure and well adjusted as you should be, given all your advantages?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
        Why the nastiness? Is it necessary?

Usually people as successful and talented as you are very generous towards their less fortunate peers. Are you not as secure and well adjusted as you should be, given all your advantages?
        The guy sounds like a jerk, who has been born with a silver spoon. He is probably assuming he can pay away in for his precious third generation D1 athlete.

Comment

This seems to fit you pretty well, although the poster should have added at the end....They're usually elitist diks too.

The only time it's sad is when former players can't let go. Yes you're supposed to move on into lcareers and relationships, get a more balanced life. You made great friends and memories. Soccer can always be a part of your life (or not), however much you want. But some former athletes can't stop reliving their glory days. They're usually the ones with the miserable kids.

Comment

Not sure what to make of Buffy or Preston here...they must be awful fun at cocktails.

Comment

Not sure what to make of Buffy or Preston here...they must be awful fun at cocktails.
              I love this post. It is hard to know what he is proudest about. Daddy's successes? Little Mia's? Or his bank account? I am guessing that this guy did not play soccer in college. That would require him to be on a team and care about someone other than himself.

Comment

The guy sounds like a jerk, who has been born with a silver spoon. He is probably assuming he can pay away in for his precious third generation D1 athlete.
                The guy who runs the website needs hits to make $ so plants trolling types of statements to rile people up. We need to learn to ignore that kind of propaganda from TS owners and Russians.

On the other hand, our kids going to D1 top Ivy. It would be great to get some feedback about the pressure. I can't imagine competing in the academics, never mind the daily practice and long away games. How is this managed?

Comment

The guy who runs the website needs hits to make $ so plants trolling types of statements to rile people up. We need to learn to ignore that kind of propaganda from TS owners and Russians.

On the other hand, our kids going to D1 top Ivy. It would be great to get some feedback about the pressure. I can't imagine competing in the academics, never mind the daily practice and long away games. How is this managed?
                  Ask someone who is doing it rather than here. That would be where I would start if you are even being serious rather than the same db who posted the proud family profile.

Comment

Ask someone who is doing it rather than here. That would be where I would start if you are even being serious rather than the same db who posted the proud family profile.
                    I thought the same thing. Skippy Lodge strikes again.

Comment

Someone started this thread but it didn't go far, with a link to the 2nd item. Heartbreaking. I don't mean to freak you out but it's good to keep tabs on who she's doing emotionally. D1 coaches have a saying - College has 3 parts. Academics. Athletics. Social. You only get to pick two. If it gets to be too much she stops. She isn't getting athletic money and she can play club. Getting a good education matters most. Most likely she'll do great. Some say the hardest part is just getting into an Ivy :).

http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showthread.php?t=153994

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...o-have-it-all/

Comment

Contrary to what the other poster always like to contend, being a D1 scholarship athlete is not necessarily a slow boat to hell. The point was that there are plenty of success stories out there if you actually want to look for them. Not everyone flames out like they apparently did. The real issue comes down to how mature and goal driven a kid is not whether the kid is an athlete. After all plenty of kids drink and screw their way out of college without the athletic influence. Being a scholarship athlete is really not all that different than being a work-study student except the sport is being swapped out for working in say the cafeteria. It’s a way to pay the tuition bill. The real big difference is the time and commitment level required to be successful while doing it. Now everyone who has been out in the workplace for more than a couple of years knows that the metal toughness that it takes to do something like that and still come away with a quality education is something that most employers actually want to hire so all the hand wringing over future employability is nothing but the overly fertile imagination of a helicopter parent working over time. Parents need to realize that if they actually raised a kid with talent and drive nothing is going to stop them.

Comment

Contrary to what the other poster always like to contend, being a D1 scholarship athlete is not necessarily a slow boat to hell. The point was that there are plenty of success stories out there if you actually want to look for them. Not everyone flames out like they apparently did. The real issue comes down to how mature and goal driven a kid is not whether the kid is an athlete. After all plenty of kids drink and screw their way out of college without the athletic influence. Being a scholarship athlete is really not all that different than being a work-study student except the sport is being swapped out for working in say the cafeteria. It’s a way to pay the tuition bill. The real big difference is the time and commitment level required to be successful while doing it. Now everyone who has been out in the workplace for more than a couple of years knows that the metal toughness that it takes to do something like that and still come away with a quality education is something that most employers actually want to hire so all the hand wringing over future employability is nothing but the overly fertile imagination of a helicopter parent working over time. Parents need to realize that if they actually raised a kid with talent and drive nothing is going to stop them.
                          Thanks, BTNT. And also for the other post of yours that rightfully got panned. Can always tell it's you when you claim the OP "always" does this as if you know that poster. Get back on your meds, please.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X