Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    The question is do younger students really know what they want? Have they had enough time to explore their options, really know what they want to major in, what kind of school they want to attend? Are one year of grades and no test scores an indicator of a good academic (or even soccer) fit?

I've been through it with both genders; the boys times line is much more reasonable and closer to what non athletes go through. I don't have hard stats to back it up but supposedly the transfer rate with women's soccer is much higher than men's. If true that suggests more players making poor choices too early.
    I'm curious to see what the transfer rate is for soccer players vs the transfer/dropout rate of just regular student. I remember going to college and in my freshman orientation they said look around at the other freshmen. They told us that something like 6 out of 10 of them would not graduate from this university. Seems like that rate is fairly high as well so it's hard to say the transfer rate is related to early decisions.

Comment

I'm curious to see what the transfer rate is for soccer players vs the transfer/dropout rate of just regular student. I remember going to college and in my freshman orientation they said look around at the other freshmen. They told us that something like 6 out of 10 of them would not graduate from this university. Seems like that rate is fairly high as well so it's hard to say the transfer rate is related to early decisions.
      6.7% transfer rate for womens D1 soccer vs 60% graduation rate for 4 year public colleges.

Comment

Also very interesting that the transfer rate is almost double for men.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/29/1...tball-football

Comment

Also very interesting that the transfer rate is almost double for men.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/6/29/1...tball-football
          This is not surprising. Players are going to schools that they are likely never to see the field. People need to do their homework and pick a school based on academics and the athletics at equal weighting.

For Men's soccer the top 20 D1 schools have a lot of international players. After that you better be a top National Team player or a top goal scorer. I think the reason Vermont, Umass (Lowell and Amherst), UNH are doing so well is that they are picking up the local academy kids along with transfers.

Even the Ivies had a lot of academy players.

Better off picking a good school in a smaller/easier league or do D3.

Comment

This is not surprising. Players are going to schools that they are likely never to see the field. People need to do their homework and pick a school based on academics and the athletics at equal weighting.

For Men's soccer the top 20 D1 schools have a lot of international players. After that you better be a top National Team player or a top goal scorer. I think the reason Vermont, Umass (Lowell and Amherst), UNH are doing so well is that they are picking up the local academy kids along with transfers.

Even the Ivies had a lot of academy players.

Better off picking a good school in a smaller/easier league or do D3.
            That and I think men are more willing to step away from a school or team just to keep playing. I've seen it with my own kids and their friends, pre and post college. Boys seem more likely to keep trying to find the best place. Girls tend to get more caught up with wanting to stay with friends. Not always of course. A lot fewer men's spots out there too - 100 fewer D1 programs for mens' vs women's, and more male players competing for those fewer spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
              The question is do younger students really know what they want? Have they had enough time to explore their options, really know what they want to major in, what kind of school they want to attend? Are one year of grades and no test scores an indicator of a good academic (or even soccer) fit?

I've been through it with both genders; the boys times line is much more reasonable and closer to what non athletes go through. I don't have hard stats to back it up but supposedly the transfer rate with women's soccer is much higher than men's. If true that suggests more players making poor choices too early.
              So I was wrong. It is your business. I have a couple thoughts. I know plenty of families that are thoughtful about college choices and plenty of schools with excellent college counseling. I wouldn't second guess those families' judgments. Second, my guess is that your daughter hasn't been picked up, and so you feel compelled to tell those who have kids with a lot of options that it is somehow a huge risk. My daughter isn't in that category either, but her friends who were spotted early by dozens of schools come from thoughtful families who are capable of helping to provide advice about whether to make a verbal commitment early.

Comment

So I was wrong. It is your business. I have a couple thoughts. I know plenty of families that are thoughtful about college choices and plenty of schools with excellent college counseling. I wouldn't second guess those families' judgments. Second, my guess is that your daughter hasn't been picked up, and so you feel compelled to tell those who have kids with a lot of options that it is somehow a huge risk. My daughter isn't in that category either, but her friends who were spotted early by dozens of schools come from thoughtful families who are capable of helping to provide advice about whether to make a verbal commitment early.
                I agree with this. In addition, there is a limited number of scholarships, so for those that need financial help given the obscene cost of college, they would be fools to think that waiting is a good thing for them.

Comment

Op here and I would largely agree. But I've also seen kids, boys and girls, make some very poor choices. Usually it's parents pushing them in the wrong direction (usually over-estimating their kids' abilities on the field or in school). Some grab their earliest offer, afraid to wait even just a few weeks in some cases.

Comment

Op here and I would largely agree. But I've also seen kids, boys and girls, make some very poor choices. Usually it's parents pushing them in the wrong direction (usually over-estimating their kids' abilities on the field or in school). Some grab their earliest offer, afraid to wait even just a few weeks in some cases.
                    You could take soccer out of the equation and see this. It would be interesting to know what the overall transfer rates are compared to the transfer rates for Athletes. Given how low the percentage is for female athletes, I would not be surprised if the overall transfer rate were much higher.

I have also seen another phenomenon, which some families choose and I would not: underestimating their kids' abilities in school and attending a school just so they can play soccer. Those families are happy with their choices, and, again, I wouldn't second-guess them just because I would not allow that for my own. I am fine with a right fit, academically and athletically, and I am also fine if my kid is pushed a little in either arena.

Comment

You could take soccer out of the equation and see this. It would be interesting to know what the overall transfer rates are compared to the transfer rates for Athletes. Given how low the percentage is for female athletes, I would not be surprised if the overall transfer rate were much higher.

I have also seen another phenomenon, which some families choose and I would not: underestimating their kids' abilities in school and attending a school just so they can play soccer. Those families are happy with their choices, and, again, I wouldn't second-guess them just because I would not allow that for my own. I am fine with a right fit, academically and athletically, and I am also fine if my kid is pushed a little in either arena.
                      Yes that as well. While kids shouldn't compromise academics just to play, plenty do. Wouldn't be our families direction but I know some can't afford school any other way than without big athletic grants.

Comment

Anyone get the sense coaches for the most part are abiding by the new rules?

Comment

Unless your dd is a super stud, coaches are using the new recruiting rules to not rush into fielding inquiries.

Comment

September will be a frenzy for the 2002s. Lots of coaches are definitely respecting the new timeframes. Coaches that typically have multiple rising juniors “committed” by now currently have none.

The only issue is that September and October are busy months for coaches doing actual coaching!

Comment

September will be a frenzy for the 2002s. Lots of coaches are definitely respecting the new timeframes. Coaches that typically have multiple rising juniors “committed” by now currently have none.

The only issue is that September and October are busy months for coaches doing actual coaching!
                              I was thinking the same thing - being in season there is not a lot of time for official visits in the fall for coaches or players. Probably should knock out the official school tour on your own well ahead of that.

Comment

Unless the 02s are in 10th grade. Creates interesting whoops opportunity

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X