Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Looking at a number of college rosters (men) and seeing a large number of playets from europe, africa and south america. I played in college 25 years ago, it was a rare occurrence back then, now it seems more prevalent.
    Am I wrong?
    The gist of responses seem to say you are not wrong--and who can blame college coaches for finding foreign players who'll help them win? At the college games I've seen, the international players are usually the best players. They are not sitting on the bench.

Similar dynamic at the youth and club boys teams I've known: The best and most committed players are the children of immigrants.

Maybe these imported college players will stick around the US and actually help create a real soccer culture here, not the pay-to-play farce we have now.

Comment

The gist of responses seem to say you are not wrong--and who can blame college coaches for finding foreign players who'll help them win? At the college games I've seen, the international players are usually the best players. They are not sitting on the bench.

Similar dynamic at the youth and club boys teams I've known: The best and most committed players are the children of immigrants.

Maybe these imported college players will stick around the US and actually help create a real soccer culture here, not the pay-to-play farce we have now.
      Many of them weren't quite good enough to have an international pro career but they're better than what coaches can find here. It's not unusual either for them to be NT players in their home countries. Both the men's and women's D2 winner this year were chock full of international players. As long as they help coaches win they'll get recruited.

Comment

Soccer, like many sports, was imported to the U.S. It didn't start here and still has a long way to go to be really popular, although it's getting there. Not surprising then that a fair amount of players at all levels are from overseas. It is a two-way street though and many players from the U.S. do play in foreign leagues or even on foreign NT if they have dual citizenship or a foreign-born parent. This has been going on for decades.

I really think the OP is shocked to see foreign players in college because maybe in the lily white pay-to-play club leagues in the richer suburbs it is a rarity to see more than a couple minority/foreign players. Welcome to the real world where many Americans are minorities or foreign born!

Comment

I really think the OP is shocked to see foreign players in college because maybe in the lily white pay-to-play club leagues in the richer suburbs it is a rarity to see more than a couple minority/foreign players. Welcome to the real world where many Americans are minorities or foreign born!
          Dang, we just can't have any discussion without someone turning it political, can we?

WTAF

Comment

Dang, we just can't have any discussion without someone turning it political, can we?

WTAF
            What's political about that post? I think it states the obvious.

Comment

What's political about that post? I think it states the obvious.
              Yes, you seem to think that.

Comment

I would 100% disagree that the 'immigrants'...as you call them...are the most committed. They were brought up kicking a ball...not throwing a baseball. Playing soccer comes easier to them because it is deeply embedded in their culture and upbringing. When something comes easy to you there is usually a lack of effort to improve. The kids on my sons team all work ridiculously hard on and off the field to improve.

Comment

I would 100% disagree that the 'immigrants'...as you call them...are the most committed. They were brought up kicking a ball...not throwing a baseball. Playing soccer comes easier to them because it is deeply embedded in their culture and upbringing. When something comes easy to you there is usually a lack of effort to improve. The kids on my sons team all work ridiculously hard on and off the field to improve.
                  This has got to be the most racist I've seen posted here yet. It's "deeply embedded" sounds like you think kicking vs throwing is something in your DNA. I'm sure a lot of foreign born MLB pitchers would disagree with you.

Comment

Typical TS poster basing his singular experience to represent all

Comment

This has got to be the most racist I've seen posted here yet. It's "deeply embedded" sounds like you think kicking vs throwing is something in your DNA. I'm sure a lot of foreign born MLB pitchers would disagree with you.

It's racist to say that soccer is deeply embedded in European or South American culture? Soccer isn't deeply embedded in US culture...it's 1. Football, 2. Baseball, 3. Basketball, 4. Hockey...soccer is somewhere between 5-100.

Comment

It's racist to say that soccer is deeply embedded in European or South American culture? Soccer isn't deeply embedded in US culture...it's 1. Football, 2. Baseball, 3. Basketball, 4. Hockey...soccer is somewhere between 5-100.
                        Please don't be ignorant. If you're the poster own up to what you said and apologize. Don't try to tone it down into something more palatable.

Comment

Please don't be ignorant. If you're the poster own up to what you said and apologize. Don't try to tone it down into something more palatable.
                          Typical TS poster trying to change the original point of the post. Keyboard cowboy...read it again in the proper context...nothing racist about the post. d*bag

Comment

apologize? You are a moron

Comment

So, you’re calling immigrants “lazy”?
                              Because they’re better at soccer...?

Comment

But do they?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X