Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The political spectrum and club soccer

It is unfortunate to see the latest most substantial thread moved over here. Since interest waned on the college conference threads there is not much of anything happening over there....the continual D1 vs D3 ridiculousness and the absurd, albeit sturdy U11 Boys back and forth while everyone waits for the next installment of NEFC vs Stars (with Scorps playing the usual cameo "demise" role).

Let's see if a thread will ever be moved the other way...from the cemetery politics area back to land of soccer bickering and blustering.

So, there seem to be a ton of conservatives/Republicans on this site, at least compared to the nation and state in general. Why is that? Is that a demographic thing with club soccer? Is that related to America's alleged weakness in soccer compared to other countries? Direct play vs the beautiful, possession game?

Originally posted by perspective View Post
    It is unfortunate to see the latest most substantial thread moved over here. Since interest waned on the college conference threads there is not much of anything happening over there....the continual D1 vs D3 ridiculousness and the absurd, albeit sturdy U11 Boys back and forth while everyone waits for the next installment of NEFC vs Stars (with Scorps playing the usual cameo "demise" role).

Let's see if a thread will ever be moved the other way...from the cemetery politics area back to land of soccer bickering and blustering.

So, there seem to be a ton of conservatives/Republicans on this site, at least compared to the nation and state in general. Why is that? Is that a demographic thing with club soccer? Is that related to America's alleged weakness in soccer compared to other countries? Direct play vs the beautiful, possession game?
    Here's your answer, Perspective.

"Researchers at National Media, Inc. ("NMI") found that fans of certain sports are more likely than average Americans to be either partisan Republicans or Democrats. These findings, published by the*National Journal, were culled from 218,000 interviews conducted by Scarborough USA (a joint project between Nielsen and Arbitron), and are of particular import to political strategists and media consultants."

Sports Fans Most Likely to be Partisan Republicans
    NCAA football (R +36%); PGA Tour (R +35%); NASCAR (R +25%); NHL (R +20%); NCAA basketball (R +18%); High school sports (R +18%); LPGA Tour (R +17%); Olympics (R +17%); Pro Bull riding (R +15%); NFL (R +11%); MLB (R +10%); NHRA/Drag Racing (R +6%).
    NCAA: National Collegiate Athletic Association
    PGA: Professional Golfers' Association
    NASCAR: National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing
    NHL: National Hockey League
    LPGA: Ladies Professional Golf Association
    NFL: National Football League
    MLB: Major League Baseball
    NHRA: National Hot Rod Association

Sports Fans Most Likely to be Partisan Democrats
    WNBA (53%); NBA (36%); WTA (31%); ATP (17%); MLS (16%); WWE (14%).WNBA:
    Women's National Basketball Association
    NBA: National Basketball Association
    WTA: Women's Tennis Association
    ATP: Association of Tennis Professionals
    MLS: Major League Soccer
    WWE: World Wrestling Entertainment

Sports Fans Most Likely to Vote (% above Mean)
    PGA Tour (35%); LPGA Tour (32%); High school sports (30%); NCAA basketball
    (27%); NCAA football (25%); Olympics (23%); MLB (21%);.ATP (19%); NHL (18%);
    WTA (16%); NFL (11%); WNBA (11%); Pro Bull riding (9%); NASCAR (8%); NBA (2%).

Comment

Perspective, I think you are a bit off with your perception here. I think more than there seemingly to be a “conservative/Republican” slant to certain responses on this board, the responses are more reflective of an educated public calling BS on the policies and approaches taken.

As someone who has been staunchly on both sides of the aisle, I have come to conclusion that someone like me, who is a fiscal conservative, socially liberal, anti big-government and anti big-business is left without a party. And I find more and more people with similar ideals. The ultimate issue is that both sides have been hi-jacked by the extremes of their respective parties, funded by truly nefarious creatures such as Soros and the Koch brothers, which ultimately negates the true moderates of each side, those who really get the best deals for all done, who are now at least muzzled into oblivion.

The parties of yesterday are long gone. A truly subjective analysis of the past 50 years shows borderline continuous treasonous actions by both sides of the aisle. And that is a shame, but it’s where we are at. So, in my opinion, continual nitpicking against the party in control, spurred by their respective media mouthpieces (Fox/Huffpo) will continue until we settle back into a common ground, where the vast majority of the populous is actually contained.

The concept of divide and conquer has never been more prevalent than it is today. Minor issues are consistently blown out of proportion and all the while the important ones are ignored. I know that attacks on the left gets you up in arms, but be rest assured that the pendulum will swing like it always has and the right will get theirs.

Comment

I agree whole heartedly with the post above and just so no one is confused I am Poster #685 from the other political thread going today. Perhaps the only difference is I consider myself fiscally conservative, socially moderate. I tend to identify with Libertarians, but not to the extreme. I am also Poster #2 from this thread. I find the political association with sports fascinating.

Comment

I suspect there is a difference between boys club soccer and girls club soccer. No red-blooded conservative is going to allow his son to play some foreign pansy-*****ed sport like soccer. Real American boys play football. Or at worst hockey or lacrosse. Probably more balanced on the girls side. Even on the girls side, I don't think there are more conservative club parents, just more right wing trolls on TS who feel a need to interject politics into everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            I suspect there is a difference between boys club soccer and girls club soccer. No red-blooded conservative is going to allow his son to play some foreign pansy-*****ed sport like soccer. Real American boys play football. Or at worst hockey or lacrosse. Probably more balanced on the girls side. Even on the girls side, I don't think there are more conservative club parents, just more right wing trolls on TS who feel a need to interject politics into everything.
            Spoken like someone who has never played any of these games on a serious level.

Actually not true....hockey lacrosse football...they are decked out in PADS and helmets for God's sake...they are the pussies.

You need to watch college men's soccer to see what fearless athletes are all about.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X