X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usmnt not in the world cup 2018

Two questions:
    1. What needs to change in the U.S. to fix our subpar soccer issue?

2. What effect, if any, will no world cup have on club soccer in RI?

Why bother to try an have this discussion here? Go over and have it in the at least 3 threads already going on at the MA board. And the World Cup failure will have pretty much no affect on the RI club soccer scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Why bother to try an have this discussion here? Go over and have it in the at least 3 threads already going on at the MA board. And the World Cup failure will have pretty much no affect on the RI club soccer scene.
      US U-20 is promising and getting a handful of players now playing in European leagues; this maybe a good thing to clean house and make room.

Comment

i am a soccer fan, but a realist...sad as it may be, i have seen promises of soccer becoming a power here in usa for 40 years....as long as our society has the instant gratification mindset that makes fantasy football so popular, the best athletes will always flock to the money and fame that is here and is called American football...don't get me wrong, the top us soccer players are good athletes, but could not compare to the top pro cornerbacks, wr's...if they applied a skill set to their athletic abilities we could have a chance

Comment

i am a soccer fan, but a realist...sad as it may be, i have seen promises of soccer becoming a power here in usa for 40 years....as long as our society has the instant gratification mindset that makes fantasy football so popular, the best athletes will always flock to the money and fame that is here and is called American football...don't get me wrong, the top us soccer players are good athletes, but could not compare to the top pro cornerbacks, wr's...if they applied a skill set to their athletic abilities we could have a chance
          Sorry, Altidore is a perfect example of an NFL type player playing soccer. He is awful. Speed, power, strength and size means nothing without skill and game intelligence, and work rate over 90. Our best player last night was Pulisic, who is about 5'8 and maybe 160lb. He wouldn't survive in American Football, but most football players don't have the physical qualities to essentially run intervals for 90+ minutes over 6-7 miles without degrading technical skill or game IQ.

Comment

i agree he is a bum, which is exactly my point. if those athletes learned to play correctly earlier, and also lost a percentage of muscle mass in order to still be able to maintain speed they would learn to dominate, but there is simply not the interest to convert our youth. there is no way a 160 lb person, as skilled as he is, should be the best a country of our size can produce with our population and training facilities

Comment

i agree he is a bum, which is exactly my point. if those athletes learned to play correctly earlier, and also lost a percentage of muscle mass in order to still be able to maintain speed they would learn to dominate, but there is simply not the interest to convert our youth. there is no way a 160 lb person, as skilled as he is, should be the best a country of our size can produce with our population and training facilities
              Leo Messi
              Height 5′ 7″, Weight 159 lbs

Ignorance is the biggest enemy of soccer progress in the U.S.

Comment

nobody is suggesting a few singular talents could not be awesome, and often enabled by their diminutive stature for certain positions. however, you certainly could not win with a roster comprised of people remotely that size since most other positions are not conducive to it...i think it is an awesome game, but the soccer snobs who fail to acknowledge that our greatest talents are not attracted to the game(hence not mastering it by adulthood) are the more ignorant ones, and why our national team will be watching games at chili's with all the rest of us on these posts!!!!!

Comment

nobody is suggesting a few singular talents could not be awesome, and often enabled by their diminutive stature for certain positions. however, you certainly could not win with a roster comprised of people remotely that size since most other positions are not conducive to it...i think it is an awesome game, but the soccer snobs who fail to acknowledge that our greatest talents are not attracted to the game(hence not mastering it by adulthood) are the more ignorant ones, and why our national team will be watching games at chili's with all the rest of us on these posts!!!!!
                  More ignorance about our 'greatest talents' not choosing soccer. Given the population difference here to some of the tiny countries that would crush us, even if our very top level athletes chose other sports (which isn't even true), there is still thousands and thousands of superior athletes here that we still somehow manage to give inferior training (THE REAL PROBLEM) to which leads to the mediocrity you saw last night.

Comment

Changes to U.S. Soccer:

1. Clean house (Gulati and Arena, and many others that are MLS puppets, are gone)

2. Hire a true European program development expert to take the President of US Soccer role (e.g. talent from Ajax, Bundelsiga, etc.). We have the resources, spend it

3. Hire David Wagner (Huddersfield Town manager) as USMNT coach

4. Separate US Soccer from MLS (e.g. no more entanglements with media rights negotiations)

5. Lobby NCAA to allow college players to be able to try to make it work in Europe (and get paid), but can come back to U.S. and play college soccer as a fallback if needed

6. Eliminate pay to play clubs - why can't we have an AAU type circuit for kids of all socioeconomic background?

7. Most importantly, we need to dramatically increase the number of certified coaches - no more dads coaching on the weekends unless it is rec soccer

Comment

What's wrong with soccer in the USA???

Two questions:
                      1. What needs to change in the U.S. to fix our subpar soccer issue?

2. What effect, if any, will no world cup have on club soccer in RI?
                      3. Re-teach referees to call the game correctly. Like an umpire in baseball calling a foul ball a home run????????

Comment

#6 won't work because the AAU coaches don't charge the families money, they get big kickbacks from college coaches.

Comment

3. Re-teach referees to call the game correctly. Like an umpire in baseball calling a foul ball a home run????????
                          Bring this guy back..

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports..._football.html

Give lots of size 3 balls to Pre-K and K programs

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X