Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Different ages, still bad soccer.
    Didn't answer the question.

Comment

Specifics are often rare around here

Didn't answer the question.
      Ninety percent of the claims made around here both anonymous and not falsifiable, so it's easy to make silly statements like "I saw lots of players from Club X at Club Y's tryout", or "club Z would rather forfeit a match than get thrashed by my club". Like Tom Sawyer and his neighbor arguing about who has the bigger badder brother and who can beat who (when neither brother exists), I suspect a good chunk of such claims are BS.

In this case, the claim isn't hard to at least investigate. Only one team matching the description was playing last weekend, as all the other WST U10s were idle last weekend. That team's head coach had a more important commitment in the State Cup, a higher priority than a spring league game. (The team does have assistants who could cover, however). Since it's U10, the match results (or even whether the match was played) aren't publicly available from OYSA's website, but a simple "yeah, it was that match" from whoever made the original claim, would shed some light.

(Everything in the last paragraph can be readily be confirmed at the OYSA website, if you know where to look).

That said, the idea that large numbers of Westside players are thinking of moving to Washington Timbers strikes me as dubious, simply because geography--there's another boys club of similar quality (FCP) in Washington County (though they might move their training ground back to Portland soon, according to rumor). HSC, THUSC, BSC, and Southside are all also decent clubs within shouting distance of Beaverton. This isn't a slam on WashT; just an observation that driving from Beaverton to Fischers Landing for training and games would be a major headache. I know, many dedicated parents take their SSs and DDs further than that for training and matches, but there are lots of clubs in the Portland metro area.

Comment

Ninety percent of the claims made around here both anonymous and not falsifiable, so it's easy to make silly statements like "I saw lots of players from Club X at Club Y's tryout", or "club Z would rather forfeit a match than get thrashed by my club". Like Tom Sawyer and his neighbor arguing about who has the bigger badder brother and who can beat who (when neither brother exists), I suspect a good chunk of such claims are BS.

In this case, the claim isn't hard to at least investigate. Only one team matching the description was playing last weekend, as all the other WST U10s were idle last weekend. That team's head coach had a more important commitment in the State Cup, a higher priority than a spring league game. (The team does have assistants who could cover, however). Since it's U10, the match results (or even whether the match was played) aren't publicly available from OYSA's website, but a simple "yeah, it was that match" from whoever made the original claim, would shed some light.

(Everything in the last paragraph can be readily be confirmed at the OYSA website, if you know where to look).

That said, the idea that large numbers of Westside players are thinking of moving to Washington Timbers strikes me as dubious, simply because geography--there's another boys club of similar quality (FCP) in Washington County (though they might move their training ground back to Portland soon, according to rumor). HSC, THUSC, BSC, and Southside are all also decent clubs within shouting distance of Beaverton. This isn't a slam on WashT; just an observation that driving from Beaverton to Fischers Landing for training and games would be a major headache. I know, many dedicated parents take their SSs and DDs further than that for training and matches, but there are lots of clubs in the Portland metro area.
        NOBODY moves their kids TO WashT. NOBODY. Not even the crazies. WashT has enough crazies without adding more from Portland.

Comment

That's one reason to have the players keep their cards and bring them to the games with them.
          Ah no. Kids are far too forgetful /likely to lose an individual card vs a coach or managing adult having a big stack. I'm sure she feels terrible about it but we're all human.

- former team manager

Comment

Ah no. Kids are far too forgetful /likely to lose an individual card vs a coach or managing adult having a big stack. I'm sure she feels terrible about it but we're all human.

- former team manager
            I wish Westside would have forfeited their game against us!

Comment

- former team manager
              There's at least one big club on the west side that has the players responsible for bringing their own cards to the games. If they forget, they don't play. They don't forget.

Comment

NOBODY moves their kids TO WashT. NOBODY. Not even the crazies. WashT has enough crazies without adding more from Portland.
                There are currently 42 Oregon players at the club.
                I think that only grows to around 50 this coming year

Comment

There are currently 42 Oregon players at the club.
                  I think that only grows to around 50 this coming year
                  42 out of 3500. Insignificant. And of those 42, none could actually make the "A" teams at the clubs they left.

Meanwhile there are literally hundreds of former WashT kids just over the last 2-3 years that got out and upgraded by moving to a better club south of the river.

Comment

Did a coach get into it with a ref?

Comment

Did a coach get into it with a ref?
                      If you're asking about BU01 Samba... team manager went on vacation without giving someone else the player cards.

Comment

If you're asking about BU01 Samba... team manager went on vacation without giving someone else the player cards.
                        Ooops!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        Working...
                        X