Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Having "B" teams in Premier just shows depth of talent pool and how much development is happening even on "B" and "C" teams. Foreign idea to Alliance clubs, we know, but maybe someday you'll get it. Or not.
    ...or what about putting B teams in state cup and Premier divisions is a stupid move? FC does not track the talent on teams, they just put them in divisions that suits the coaches ego's. Answer me this:
    Why enter your B teams in the state cup?

Comment

Many "B" teams have done well in State Cup.

Having "B" teams in Premier just shows depth of talent pool and how much development is happening even on "B" and "C" teams. Foreign idea to Alliance clubs, we know, but maybe someday you'll get it. Or not.
      WST BU12 Samba (Westside's second team), for instance, won the Presidents Cup in their division, moved up to Premier for spring league, entered State Cup--and made it to the quarters where they lost to WST BU12 Copa (Westside's first team) by a single goal. Quite a few other "civil wars" in the quarterfinals as well (at least one involving Eastside).

One thing to note is--many of these decisions need to be made early. Teams can move up once the season starts, but if a club guesses wrong and enter a weak team into premier division in fall league, and they start getting slaughtered, too late--they're stuck in the premier/state cup track. The team won't be allowed to move to Div 1, or play in the Presidents Cup. It may be a good learning experience for the players--you learn more losing to sharks than beating minnows--but it's no fun to get waxed every weekend.

Comment

OYSA lets then have try outs during state cup?

Comment

OYSA lets then have try outs during state cup?
          THESE ARE ECNL TRYOUTS ... they have nothing to do with OYSA.

Comment

...or what about putting B teams in state cup and Premier divisions is a stupid move? FC does not track the talent on teams, they just put them in divisions that suits the coaches ego's. Answer me this:
            Why not if you have the talent. B teams did a lot better than most A teams.

Comment

At the ecnl clubs, only the A teams are in ecnl. Those clubs' B teams are their "A" teams for OYSA league.

Comment

When your B teams do as well or better than other clubs A teams, you put them in State Cup.

Comment

Don't put words into my post if I didn't write them. I did not say that recruiters were at league games "stalking" players. I've even watched a recruiter here and there and regular high school games when they were there to watch particular players. It happens as you said. I did not, in my original post, say that recruiters came out to watch every single league game, for every entire team. Recruiters do come out to watch teams for particular reasons. Sometimes they come out see certain players and end up being impressed by others.

There are HCs, ACs, and sometimes they even ask buddies to look out for someone for them. I even know some coaches who have done a great job in getting recruiters out to games or even setting up friendlies.

Yes. Individual player talent is the key and one can be a non-ECNL player who catches the recruiter's attention; sometimes when seen in person or in a video piece.

I have to say that I find it odd to see a post which tries to slam Timbers Alliance clubs yet places their Crossfire United Reserves "B team" in the same OYSA league (with higher club fees).
                  So, I admit, the "stalking" comment was a bit snarky. But I must say the ongoing diatribe about Timbers vs. everyone else and ECNL is stupid is getting a bit old. And just for the record, my daughter doesn't play ECNL and probably wouldn't make an ECNL team if she tried out. The point I was trying to make is that in ECNL, there is more regular exposure to college coaches
                  and for the most part, that exposure is to coaches from higher caliber (from a soccer perspective) schools. So playing on a Timbers "A" team doesn't give you the same potential exposure as playing ECNL. Neither does playing on an FCP or Crossfire nonECNL team.

I think most parents agree that in the end, going to college is about getting an education. If playing soccer in college works out for your player, that is just an added bonus.

But to be frank, I am baffled by your "slam Timbers Alliance clubs yet places their Crossfire United Reserves B team" in the same OYSA league" comment. Though I admit I think the "reserves" and "preECNL" designation is pretty silly, you should really get over the "A" vs. "B" team thing. As a previous poster pointed out, a Timbers boys "B" team gave made it to quarterfinals in State Cup. Good for them. And if your daughter's Timbers team beat an FCP or Crossfire team in "the same OYSA" league, good for them too. These games are just teams playing against each other: Timbers vs. Timbers or Timbers vs. FCP or Crossfire or Thelo United or NEU or PCU or WHATEVER. Just kids playing soccer. Get over it.

Comment

Agree that there is much more college recruiting exposure for ecnl players. If you can swing it, I'd recommend it but it's not absolutely necessary. Ecnl slams Timbers because they want more top Timbers players to come over to Ecnl. Timbers slam ecnl because they are desperate to NOT lose their top players to ecnl.

Comment

Agree that there is much more college recruiting exposure for ecnl players. If you can swing it, I'd recommend it but it's not absolutely necessary. Ecnl slams Timbers because they want more top Timbers players to come over to Ecnl. Timbers slam ecnl because they are desperate to NOT lose their top players to ecnl.
                      The problem is, many college coaches have limited resources for scouting. They don't want to pound the pavement (and can't afford to pay others to do this), and their revenue streams are often fixed. It's beneficial to them if they can show up to a few marquee events and have most of the top talent laid out for them like hors d'ourves on a platter.

ECNL gives this to them. ECNL provides many other value-adds to aspiring girls--more training than many classic clubs--but their big selling point is that they have managed to capture the lions share of attention from NCAA decision makers, and a significant number of the talented girls. Positive feedback loop. College coaches will find all their players at ECNL showcases, no need to show up at State Cup or HS matches. Players who aspire to play collegiately--well, you won't get noticed if you're not in ECNL. Pretty soon, ECNL has a monopoly on the top talent, and the competing entities wither on the vine. And the barrier to entry is huge--as ECNL teams generally won't compete with anyone other than other ECNL teams.

ECNL clubs win. College coaches win. Players, especially those who can't afford it, lose. It's the same racket the NCAA runs with men's football and basketball, just at a younger age.

That's a big reason why many soccer authorities are wary of ECNL--they don't want any single entity (especially one they have limited control over) to effectively act as a gatekeeper in this fashion.

In men's soccer, this is far less of a problem--pro clubs have much larger budgets than do NCAA women's programs, and can afford to do more extensive scouting. Outside the US, youth clubs can afford to give free training to prospects, and collect development fees from those players who do turn pro. But in women's soccer, the pie is much smaller, so the fighting for the scraps is far more intense.

Comment

Players who aspire to play collegiately--well, you won't get noticed if you're not in ECNL.
                        This is incorrect. There are numerous ways to get recruited. Many of which have already been discussed.
                        I have a DD in ECNL and it is a great platform - but not the only one.

Comment

This is incorrect. There are numerous ways to get recruited. Many of which have already been discussed.
                          I have a DD in ECNL and it is a great platform - but not the only one.
                          Not the only way but the best way by far right now.

Comment

Not the only way but the best way by far right now.
                            Not true.

I know girls' teams where most of the players already have quite a few verbal commitments or their written commitments for quality NCAA D1 programs or other level schools that interested them. They've done an excellent job of keeping things quiet. Smart move by them.

So ECNL is not the best way by far right now. It is an option for some but not necessarily the best way. Always keep options open people.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X