Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny Soccer Stuff

Had something funny happen during a game this weekend, and I was wondering if anyone else had some funny ones to share. Please share them here.

This weekend, I coached a girls team in a tournament. We ended up having to play against another club team comprised of younger girls who were also in our bracket. The game was a mismatch because the younger team is a newly formed team. It's being coached by someone I respect and I'm sure they'll do good things with it, but as the game ground on, it was obvious we were mismatched.

Not wanting to crush the spirits of the girls in the new team, as the game progressed, I tried to avoid mercy ruling them. I started putting some of my kids who don't get to play enough in, and then eventually I was playing them positions they never play. Early in the game, I put my 1st string goalie into the game in midfield, and as the game continued, eventually I moved her up to forward. She's a gifted goalie, and a fair midfielder, but she's not a good forward. As the game progressed, the girls on my team more and more began to focus on trying to help our goalie (now playing forward) score a goal. She claims she's never gotten one. So eventually, they were focusing entirely on getting my goalie the ball, practically serving them up on a silver platter. But the other team's defense was feisty and did an admirable job protecting their goal. Since they were a "sister" club team, I found myself coaching them instead of my own team. Eventually, it became really obvious what my girls were trying to do. At last, one of the forwards rolled a ball practically right to the feet of our goalie-playing-forward who finally had a clear shot at the goal...she absolutely pasted it into the stratosphere, with the ball landing in the middle of the next field over. Thankfully, the teams playing next door were at halftime.

Play continued, and my own girls weren't giving up on their play to help our own goalie score a point. It kept getting more and more blatant, until finally one of my most gifted forwards started from the right forward position, shook off two defenders, ran right toward the opponent's goalie, who was all alone and then proceeded to take a hard U-turn to bring the ball right back to our own goalie-turned-forward and roll it to her feet.

She then kicked it right to the other goalie. The game ended shortly after that.

I just wish all of you could have seen the look on the opponent goalies face when my forward had a perfect shot into the goal but then took a hard U-turn. Complete shock. Hysterical!

That is what the game is supposed to be at the younger ages!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Many years ago we attended an away game in Gresham at Barlow High School. I think the kids were U11. During the game two deer walked onto the field. All the players stopped playing to stare and of course the parents began taking pictures. The deer walked through all the players and off the field. A few minutes later they came back on the field. The referee was trying to encourage them to move on. You could hear the murmur of "ahh" from players and spectators. About the time they walked off the field again they began mating. This time instead of an "ahh" it was more of a "ohh" and adults shooed them away. I wish I had a video.

Comment

We were playing on a field with multiple lines for age groups and lacrosse. As a ball was passed it crossed the outside of the 18', my daughter picked it up and threw it in. The referee stopped the match and walked both teams around the field pointing out the important ones (they still called it a field then). After a 10 minute education, they continued play.

Comment

I can think back to the many times I saw Jim Rilatt and Gavin get kicked out of games and their antics about leaving the field were always great(childish)

Comment

Played a tournament up in WA a few years back. Younger age bracket. ON the last day of the event, it began to snow. The snow covered the field and obliterated the field lines. Parent had to scuff their shoes along the lines (and a few inches wider on either side) to reveal the white lines in the white snow. Finally the refs succumbed to the situation, and when our keeper went to find her line to punt the ball, the ref said "anywhere around there should be good".

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
              I can think back to the many times I saw Jim Rilatt and Gavin get kicked out of games and their antics about leaving the field were always great(childish)
              i remember the good old days of DOCs heckling kids from behind the goal. #funtimes

Comment

A few of our girls were on the same basketball team. They played one basketball tournament that was right at the end of Fall soccer. They had basketball practice twice. An opponent had the ball and a player back tipped it. One of our soccer girls trapped it, did a pull back and headed in the other direction dribbling it like a soccer ball. Her teammates were screaming her name. The ref was dumbstruck and didn't even blow his whistle. When it hit her she was playing the wrong sport she collapsed on the ground and was laughing so hard she was crying. The look on our hoops coach face was priceless. They were in 5th grade.

Comment

This is THE BEST THREAD IN THIS WHOLE BLOG!!! Thanks for the bright spot in this dismal mess called Oregon soccer!

Comment

Our daughter's first game of her life, this was when we lived elsewhere, came in 1st grade and our rec coach managed to have one practice before we played. We really thought he knew the game because he played up until he was in 8th grade and neither of us ever played the game and knew nothing of the game. Hey, he was donating his time so I give him a break, but he didn't know soccer very well and I can't believe we had a single practice before we played our first game. Well, that first game was awful. I think it was 9-0. Our girls, who were all new to the game, had no idea what to do. It was so pathetic. It was frustrating to us that they didn't really even kick it in the right direction. The parents on the other team said they started playing in the fall, this was spring season, and that it will get better. Well, it didn't. I don't recall any other games from that season or the next fall and following spring, but they were not good and we ended up moving on to better teams and on to club in the subsequent years. Today, that same daughter of mine who was so clueless is getting ready to play D1 soccer in the fall. I'll never forget that first game, even though I kind of wish I could forget it just like the rest of the games from those first two seasons. But to think back to where she started and seeing where she is today, well, it's been quite a journey.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X