Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    On the girls side, nobody cares about the National team or pro soccer. It's all about college. The ECNL has that figured out extremely well and the DA won't be able to match it. DA will crash and burn, if it ever even gets started.

Still no official announcement from US Soccer. Just dropping little hints to gauge the level of acceptance. With the feedback they're getting, they'll be crazy to start a new league that isn't needed. But maybe they are just stupid enough to do it and fail.
    You bring up a good point, and for those concerned about national team placement, seems like the talent that is getting noticed is currently playing ECNL in Portland, I doubt those kids will jump ship just because it is US Soccer, they got noticed without them.

Comment

Oregon ECNL is playing against some of the best teams in the country. Thorns Academy is playing against B teams from Oregon
      Apparently you think no one looks at the standings to see where some of these "top" teams stand in their leagues. You may THINK they are top teams, but they are far from it.

Comment

Apparently you think no one looks at the standings to see where some of these "top" teams stand in their leagues. You may THINK they are top teams, but they are far from it.
        Yes and they are playing against even better teams in their league. Our worst teams in our league, Utah and Idaho would do really well in OYSA! Then you could call them a top team.

Comment

Yes and they are playing against even better teams in their league. Our worst teams in our league, Utah and Idaho would do really well in OYSA! Then you could call them a top team.
          Dream all you want. -45 GD teams are NOT top teams. CU is already -30 GD as a club in ECNL, wonder if they will hit -100 again this year?

Comment

Dream all you want. -45 GD teams are NOT top teams. CU is already -30 GD as a club in ECNL, wonder if they will hit -100 again this year?
            Exaggerating are we?

The bottom line is, I know my daughter is happy with it, much better than being on a team playing up a year here in Oregon and still beating teams 6-0 every weekend. That didn't make anyone better and the speed of play was slow, not much preparation for anything, no one gets better crushing everyone. At least they actually get to play soccer now. And Portland teams will improve, The Seattle teams struggled at first too.

Comment

Can't be any worse than the Oregon ECNL teams and their .200 winning percentage over the past two years.
              Do you really think ECNL teams would be .200 if they were playing in the same league that the Thorns are? Take a look at where the CU ecnl reserve team is, that's them at the top at 5-0. Let me help again, Reserve = 2nd team, so ecnl 2nds are dominating the Thorns league. Should I let you do the math on where CU's 1st team would be or can you draw this line yourself. I'll take my DD at .200 (however her team is above .500 right now) in a strong league where she is being challenged vs. 14-0 with a 60-2 GD in OYSA. thx

Comment

Do you really think ECNL teams would be .200 if they were playing in the same league that the Thorns are? Take a look at where the CU ecnl reserve team is, that's them at the top at 5-0. Let me help again, Reserve = 2nd team, so ecnl 2nds are dominating the Thorns league. Should I let you do the math on where CU's 1st team would be or can you draw this line yourself. I'll take my DD at .200 (however her team is above .500 right now) in a strong league where she is being challenged vs. 14-0 with a 60-2 GD in OYSA. thx
                Using that same logic then we are to the ECNL league what we are accusing the TA teams of. I think we all need to get over ourselves. There really isn't much to brag about anywhere.

Comment

The Thorns Academy is mostly 1-2 years younger.

Comment

The girls Development Academy will not be successful if they do not allow girls to play high school. That is a fact.

Comment

It is pretty simple. A girls DA with 40 or so clubs will mean 600 of the very best players a year coming out. The top colleges will focus on them. That still leaves plenty of spots for other kids. The issue though will be whether kids, parents and schools will continue to support and pay for multiple national events and multistate travel for league games if the big schools are not paying attention. I think the league could stay in tact if it killed the regional play and just did the events which is how it begin. Teams would play state or usysa regional leagues (if cost effective) to pick up games and then go to the tournament events for recruiting.

If it gets much over 40 then basically you are stripping the top 15 players from most of the ecnl clubs leaving bottom third and b team players to carry on. That, I think, will seriously affect college coach turn out at tournament events.

Comment

It is pretty simple. A girls DA with 40 or so clubs will mean 600 of the very best players a year coming out. The top colleges will focus on them. That still leaves plenty of spots for other kids. The issue though will be whether kids, parents and schools will continue to support and pay for multiple national events and multistate travel for league games if the big schools are not paying attention. I think the league could stay in tact if it killed the regional play and just did the events which is how it begin. Teams would play state or usysa regional leagues (if cost effective) to pick up games and then go to the tournament events for recruiting.

If it gets much over 40 then basically you are stripping the top 15 players from most of the ecnl clubs leaving bottom third and b team players to carry on. That, I think, will seriously affect college coach turn out at tournament events.

Good point. Maybe they will start stalking the friendship and chinook cups?

Comment

How are they going to attract top players in Oregon?

The only way the DA works in Oregon is if they cover costs like they do in the boys side. You also have to let them play high school.

Otherwise, you can set the table, but nobody will show up.

Comment

How are they going to attract top players in Oregon?

The only way the DA works in Oregon is if they cover costs like they do in the boys side. You also have to let them play high school.

Otherwise, you can set the table, but nobody will show up.
                            Yep, no high school. Traveling costs equal to or greater then ecnl, or they only have a couple of big tourneys each season and no 'league'.

Comment

Good point. Maybe they will start stalking the friendship and chinook cups?
                              All of the crappy chinook cup players are over at Crossfire United.

Comment

I don't care about the Thorns. You can yack about them all day long. ECNL sucks here in Oregon. The teams don't win and pretty soon, you will see that very few will be getting offers. It's already happening at CU U16. FCP U16 has a few so far, but unless UP steps up and takes some more, they won't likely have a large class going to college. It will be even worse next year for the current U15 players.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X