Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If they were winning the rain would not matter....
    can't win if you don't have talent. Has nothing to do with coaching my friend.

Comment

can't win if you don't have talent. Has nothing to do with coaching my friend.
      That's a lame excuse. It is the coaches job to get the talent here. If the weather was the only issue, UP would not be a 2-time NCAA champ.

Comment

That's a lame excuse. It is the coaches job to get the talent here. If the weather was the only issue, UP would not be a 2-time NCAA champ.
        They were a 2 time champ because they had the worlds best player.

Comment

They were a 2 time champ because they had the worlds best player.

They were a much better program then just Sinclair. Yes she was amazing and best ever through the doors, but team was a dominate team before and after Sinc. Hope they get back to there winning ways soon.

Comment

They were a much better program then just Sinclair. Yes she was amazing and best ever through the doors, but team was a dominate team before and after Sinc. Hope they get back to there winning ways soon.
            We love Sinc and are glad she played at UP but the team WAS more than just her. There also happened to be a certain "scrub" :) named Rapinoe who chose to play at UP without having any family connections.

Comment

Smith is in his last year. Everyone can see the writing on the wall. The game has changed so much in the past few years while Smith coaches like its 1997 still.
              You can see the moves the school has already made this year. The new boys head coach is absolute quality and will change the program in its first year. Hiring of Porter for hoops is a great move. Now it's time to bring in some real quality in the girls head coaching ranks.
              Like I said another losing year and he's gone. The game and recruiting has changed. I would take a hard look at Tiffany Roberts at UCF. She took over for Cromwell who is not at UCLA. Roberts is ascending in the coaching ranks and she's from the West.

Comment

We love Sinc and are glad she played at UP but the team WAS more than just her. There also happened to be a certain "scrub" :) named Rapinoe who chose to play at UP without having any family connections.
                Granted. But if Sinc doesn't come to UP, none of those other top players do either.

Comment

Granted. But if Sinc doesn't come to UP, none of those other top players do either.
                  I am hearing smith has two years to turn things around. I am guessing if the program is going to be average for years to come, why not bring in a new coach that you can pay less to accomplish that. Two years is generous for a coach living off the foundation set by previous great coach.

Comment

I am hearing smith has two years to turn things around. I am guessing if the program is going to be average for years to come, why not bring in a new coach that you can pay less to accomplish that. Two years is generous for a coach living off the foundation set by previous great coach.
                    Good for Smith and UofP. 2 years is fair and with the recruits he is getting it should work for him.

Comment

Good for Smith and UofP. 2 years is fair and with the recruits he is getting it should work for him.

Problem for Smith is BYU is in the conference and they get very good mormon recruits. Also Santa Clara, Pepperdine, USF and Loyola have good recruiting classes too. It's gonna be tough to turn Portland around. Portland is not an elite college and it rains a lot there so his only hope is to get the BEST Oregon talent....which he is not.

Comment

Ouch. That's not good for UP or FC Portland.

"But Smith's squad is hurting for recruits, aggression and confidence. The Pilots are now fueled by the best players at FC Portland, not the best of Canada or California.

This storied program is leaking nostalgia, not optimism, a disheartening turn."
                        Pretty harsh article.

Comment

Pretty harsh article.
                          My belief is Lauren Hansen (current San Jose state coach and ex-Portland player) will be poised to takeover for smith. She turned San Jose state around and got them into the NCAA's last year. POrtland would be able to get her for cheaper than what they are paying Smith now.
                          He needs finish in the top three in the WCC in the next two years and make the NCAA or he is gone. I actually see him taking over for mertz at Oregon who is a complete mess. HE could get Oregon to .500.

Comment

My belief is Lauren Hansen (current San Jose state coach and ex-Portland player) will be poised to takeover for smith. She turned San Jose state around and got them into the NCAA's last year. POrtland would be able to get her for cheaper than what they are paying Smith now.
                            He needs finish in the top three in the WCC in the next two years and make the NCAA or he is gone. I actually see him taking over for mertz at Oregon who is a complete mess. HE could get Oregon to .500.
                            don't think she would leave - she has a good DOC gig down there

Comment

don't think she would leave - she has a good DOC gig down there

3000 fans and a pay raise could sway her. San Jose State is a stepping stone job any way.

She could be holding outdoor a pac-10 job (Oregon). I am guessing CAL coach could be on the block unless he gets deep into the tournament.

Comment

Pretty harsh article.
                                It sure is.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X